Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 09:34 AM   #1  
Southside White Sox Fan

Default Hearty Core Lasagna

I've been searching high and low for a good Core lasagna. I found this on the 3FC WW recipe board. I think it was from way back in 1999! It's all Core (once you substitute ww lasagne noodles). I'll be trying it soon.

Hearty Lasagna -- 8 pts

Recipe By :Cooking Light YEAR: 1995 ISSUE: Jan/Feb PAGE: 83
Serving Size : 9 Preparation Time :0:00

1 pound ground sirloin
Healthy Olive oil to saute
1 cup onion -- chopped
3 garlic cloves -- minced
1/4 cup fresh parsley -- chopped & divided
28 ounces whole tomatoes -- canned
14 1/2 ounces stewed tomatoes -- Italian-style
8 ounces no-salt-added tomato sauce -- 1 can
6 ounces tomato paste -- 1 can
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 cups nonfat cottage cheese
1 ounce grated FF Parmesan cheese -- 1/2 cup fresh
15 ounces nonfat ricotta cheese
1 egg lightly beaten
12-13 whole wheat lasagna noodles -- cooked. Don't be tempted to not cook the noodles. There won't be enough sauce. You'll probably ned 2 boxes of noodles. Mine only had 10 in the box.
8 ounces shredded FF provolone cheese -- 2 cups (I'm going to use a 6 ounce package shredded soy blend that I found with provolone, parmesan and romano). I also added an 8 oz bag of FF mozzarella because I thought the blend shreds where not enough.

Cook meat in a large saucepan over medium heat until browned stirring to crumble; drain and set aside. Wipe pan with a paper towel.

Coat pan with cooking spray; add the onion and garlic, and saute 5 minutes.

Return meat to pan. Add 2 tablespoons parsley and next 7 ingredients (tomatoes should be undrained & chopped).

Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes.

Uncover; simmer 20 minutes. Remove from heat.

Combine remaining 2 tablespoons parsley, cottage cheese, and next 3 ingredients in a bowl; stir well, and set aside. I blended the cottage cheese to make it creamy.

Spread 3/4 cup tomato mixture (try to only use the juice here) in bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.

Arrange 4 noodles over tomato mixture; top with half of cottage cheese mixture, 2-1/4 cups tomato mixture, and 2/3 cup provolone.

Repeat layers, ending with noodles. Spread the remaining tomato mixture over noodles.

Cover; bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

Sprinkle with remaining provolone; bake, uncovered, for 10 minutes.

Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with oregano, if desired. Yield: 9 servings.

Last edited by Vickie; 04-27-2005 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-24-2005, 03:16 PM   #2  

That looks wonderful! Thanks Vickie! I just bought some of that provolone, parmesan and romano shredded cheese this weekend! I had it on a salad. Very good. I am going to try this one this week!
Old 04-24-2005, 06:25 PM   #3  

Height: 5'7"

I think I'm going to try and adapt this to some sort of casserole using spaghetti (since that's the WW pasta on hand right now). I have some FF cottage cheese, FF mozzarella, and tomato sauce that needs to be used up. Thanks for the inspiration!
Old 04-24-2005, 09:19 PM   #4  
Southside White Sox Fan

Jim voted to have this tomorrow. The Sticky Chicken was good tonight but wasn't much different than the Cola Chicken. The Cheesy Rice Casserole was dry and bland. I might give it one more try and add some more FF cottage cheese and maybe some garlic powder and a dash of maybe cayenne?! I just get so tired of tomatoes that I'll jump on any entree or side dish that doesn't have tomatoes in it!

I'll give you the review on the lasagna tomorrow.
Closed Thread