Old 07-15-2005, 02:59 PM   #1  

Lightbulb Summer Squash Casserole

Okay, i'll admit that I'm posting it before I've actually made it, but I swear it will be in the oven tonight, and then I'll let you know how it turns out! I found the original recipe at www.allrecipes.com, but I adapted it to use I Can't Believe It's Not Butter! Spray and Reduced-Fat Mozzeralla instead of artery-clogging butter and full-fat Swiss. Never seen RF Swiss, and I don't care for Swiss much, so here goes!

SUMMER SQUASH CASSEROLE
INGREDIENTS:
• 3 large yellow summer squash - peeled, seeded, and sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
• 1/2 medium onion, cut into 1/2-inch slices
• I Can't Believe It's Not Butter! Spray
• 1 c. LF Mozzarella cheese
• salt and pepper to taste

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 2 quart casserole dish.
2. Layer the squash and onions in the casserole dish. Dot with spray, and top with cheese.
3. Cover, and bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove cover, and continue baking 15 minutes, or until squash is tender.
8 servings

If anyone knows how to find out the nutritionals, that would be lovely, I sure don't. The original called for slices of swiss, so I'm just going to eyeball it to see how much cheese I use, I'll let you know.

Enjoy!

/edit: This turned out WONDERFULLY!!! My dad and I loved it! I even forgot to put any butter spray on it, not that we needed it- lovelovelove this recipe, we will definately make it again! It's supposed to be 8 servings but it's really about 4, especially since I used it as a main course (being a veggie beacher!). Neither of us even liked squash that much, until the oven-roasted vegetables from the book!

Last edited by darlingchick; 07-15-2005 at 07:49 PM.
darlingchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 11:18 PM   #2  

This loooks yummy! Thanks!
Pickle Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 08:47 AM   #3  

This was good! I used Smart Balance instead of the spray and I did use the mozzarella. I think next time I will try the Kraft 2% Swiss slices and also add a little Italian Seasoning. DH said this can definitely come back.
Barb0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 02:45 AM   #4  

This sounds great! I can't wait to try it! Thanks for sharing.
NevaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 08:15 AM   #5  

Unhappy I am SOOOO sick of Broccoli.....

I am in Phase I of SBD....and I have cooked Broccoli in everyway known.
Can we use squash? and Can we use Winter Squash. I have hit a plateau and can't seem to lose anything for a week. Think my body has gotten used to the same ole foods. Where do I look for different recipes? Thanks
overstuffedchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 09:37 AM   #6  

There are lots of vegetables that are fine in phase 1. However, the only winter squash that is allowed in phase 1 is spaghetti squash. The other ones should wait until phase 2. This recipe is great using yellow summer squash. I usually use one slice of RF swiss as well as a little RF mozzarella. And I add some Italian Seasoning for some extra flavor.

You are in the Side Dishes - phase 1 forum. Check out the other phase 1 recipe forums for more ideas.
Barb0522 is offline   Reply With Quote