Fat Smash Diet Recipes Yum Yum

Old 09-04-2006, 07:33 PM   #1  
it's always something

Default P3 Mediterranean Burgers with Olive Ketchup

This is my latest obession This is a recipe from Eating Well magazine. They are GOOD! But they do take quite some time to prepare. I like to prepare the millet the day before and put it in the fridge. I then bring it to room temperature before proceeding with the rest of the recipe. The patties freeze well and are easily reheated with 1 minute in the microwave. Millet is a whole grain and has a mild flavor. The burgers are loaded with nutrition and nothing bad for you. They are Phase 3 because of the bread crumbs.

4 sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth or water
1/2 cup millet, rinsed
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 large onion, chopped
3 cups lightly packed baby spinach, stems trimmed and roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (I use nonfat feta)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
2/3 cup fine dry breadcrumbs (try to use whole wheat bread crumbs)
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

Place sun-dried tomatoes in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let soak until softened, about 30 minutes. Drain and finely chop; set aside.

Meanwhile, bring broth (or water) to a boil in a medium saucepan. Stir in millet and salt; return to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until the millet is tender and liquid is absorbed, 25 to 30 minutes. Let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork; transfer to a plate to cool to room temperature, about 20 minutes.

While the millet cooks, heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened and light brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Gradually stir in spinach; cover and cook, stirring, until the spinach is wilted, 30 to 60 seconds. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Transfer to a plate; let cool for about 10 minutes.

Place millet in a food processor and pulse to mix lightly. Add the spinach mixture and pulse until coarsely chopped.(*I prefer to place the millet and spinach mixture in a large bowl and stir well, then I use a hand blender here and there to blend some of it, then just stir the mixture together so it retains more of the natural texture)

Transfer to a large bowl; stir in the feta, basil, breadcrumbs, pepper and the reserved sun-dried tomatoes; mix well.

With dampened hands, form the mixture into seven 1/2-inch-thick patties, using about 1/2 cup for each. (*I prefer to measure it out in 1/4 cup sizes and make more, but smaller patties)

Using 2 teaspoons oil per batch, cook 3 to 4 patties at a time in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until browned and heated through, about 4 minutes per side.

These are great on a whole wheat bun, in a pita, or just on a plate and enjoyed by themselves, with your fav veggies on the side. The recipe also includes an optional recipe for Olive Ketchup which is also good. Use sparingly! A little dab really will do you

Olive Ketchup
1/2 cup Kalamata olives, pitted
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (I omit this)
2 scallions, coarsely chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed and peeled
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon red-wine vinegar
2 teaspoons tomato paste

Combine olives, parsley, scallions, garlic, oil and vinegar in a food processor. Pulse until finely chopped. Transfer to a small bowl and mix in tomato paste.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote