August chat time

You're on Page 11 of 33
Go to
  • Mine are next to the orange squash!!!

Have you tried padded shorts? I swear by mine!!! I'm going to get my bike soon! WOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I'll be cycling to work and back twice a week!
  • Yep - padded shorts, and even recently, some lubrication! I think new saddle is the only option. I never used to have this problem when I was slimmer, wonder if that has something to do with it.

Cool! New Bike! What kind of bike have you gone for? 28 miles is a long way on a work day. My work round-trip is only 13 miles and I arrive in a disgusting state! I have a racing bike so I have a tendency to go too fast! I really want a tourer so I can do lots of long trips with tents and panniers of food - mmmmm
  • It's not really NEW... It's my dad's 1970s road bike, but it'll be better than my mountain bike for doing the commute! We're getting it from their house (where all our old junk is!) the weekend after next.

I used to do 18 miles round trip to Uni and back and was ok, now I'm fitter I'm figuring 24 miles twice a week will be ok. I might start out with once a week.
  • Hills are the killer. I feel fine when walking around, but once I get back on the bike the next day my thighs just feel shot before I've even attempted the hills! Luckily my main hill is on the way home so I have more motivation to keep going lol!
  • Ooh yes, and road bikes are much better for on road than mountain bikes (but of course they are cr@p off road, and even on badly finished roads, there's one road I go on that I could almost swear I was leaning on one of those road drill thingys, the ones they used to have in the Ketchup adverts!) Hope you enjoy it!
  • The saddle my bike came with and hurt so much that I stopped using my brand new bike (much to DH's disgust cos he bought it for me as a birthday pressie). I read an article that these new narrow saddles are very bad for women (and, in fact, not great for men) and they recommended the use of 'big bum' gel sprung saddles. There weren't any available in Doncaster that I could find so I got one off eBay - a bit dear at 15 squids plus P&P - but INHO worth every single penny.
  • Big squishy wide gel saddles are very comfortable, but you are not supposed to use them for long rides. Harder saddles are better because you put the pressure on the sit bones rather than on the soft tissue around them, and narrower saddles (obviously not too narrow, women need wider (and shorter) ones than men because their sit bones are further apart) mean that you don't rub your inner thighs on the saddle. Pressure in the wrong places, including the inner thighs, can cause long term damage to nerves etc. The recommendation is that if you cycle for long periods of time (supposedly any regular cycling longer than an hour) than you should try to find a harder and slightly narrower saddle that works for you. The problem is that everyone's bottom is different, so finding that perfect saddle can be very expensive - but that's what ebay is for! I have a lovely squishy saddle on my old bike and it is perfect for short trips to town, but it does rub my inner thighs if I use it for a long ride. I'm trying to work up to cycle touring, ie. two weeks of cycling all day every day, so I think I just have to keep looking for that perfect saddle. It must be out there somewhere!
  • I've just been for an hour's nap in the back of the company car

I feel about 110% better for it!
  • Hello everyone

I fancy a bike too. My mother in law gave me her shopper circa 1970!! However
    the pain of that saddle is too much to bear. If I had a cherry to take it would surely be gone!!

I have so many other things to pay out for at the moment though I think
    I will have to wait.

Scales are saying ten stone 2lbs this morning did say ten stone one and a bit but then went to two a bit afterwards. God I sound obsessed.

Dreary old day here. One of my friends's is back from her hols to Menorca so catching up with her lately. My father is back from Kerry I am just about to go and see him now. For some reason I am off my food today its very strange.

Take care everyone

Michele
  • Did your dad manage to get in ok from the flights? Or did he drive?

Don't worry about being off your food - could be a blessing in disguise! I think I should start listening to my body a little bit more. I wasn't hungry for lunch, but I ate anyway. I'm going to have to eat before kickboxing, but not until I'm
  • There's a farmer in our village fettles up and sells secondhand bikes as a sideline. It's a blessing with 5 kids as I could never have afforded to buy them all a bike last year - but at £40 a throw (or less for a small kiddies' bike) they've been an absolute find!

At the moment, I'm using my oldest son's trail bike but keep meaning to go and see if I can get one for myself - as we need to go on some rough farm tracks to get to our bike trail, a mile away. I can put all the seats down and fit about 3 bikes in the car but it's such a hassle, we never do it.

We live close to the TransPennine bike trail - and are less than 10 miles on it from York, so we're lucky enough to be able to bike ride off road. But last year I made the mistake of buying a touring bike, which is lovely - and fine on the bike trail but no good on the rough tracks. So if I go out, my oldest son has to stay home! I've been doing 30-40 minutes most days on the exercise bike, but it's rubbish compared to riding a real bike! Will try and get out on it, this week!

Tesco's sell gel-filled bike seat covers. They work OK if you're not going long distances.
  • Just ordered a new saddle. Checked shipping info before I ordered - said 5 days. After I ordered it said "please allow 14 days for delivery"

I can't wait until I get it I'm very excited!
  • Someone made a doll of ME!!! She's got my legs!!

• What absolute rubbish Ms Whale. Your legs are lovely! Have you got body dysmorphic disorder young lady? I've seen you in shorts. If you wanna see tree trunks, look at my pins!
  • Hi everyone....

I find that because I cycle between 15 and 25 miles most days then I need a wide padded saddle with a gel cover on it. I did try padded shorts but got a bit sweaty in places and ended up sore in the nether regions.
    I also find that if you get a bikini wax rash that does not help the situation. slapped on plenty of sudacrem after that ride!!
    The large piece of cake came and bit me in the bum today (literally) with a 1lb gain..in the nude and first thing before brekky as was advised by you seasoned dieters. Better luck next week.
    I`m thinking that maybe the WW diet is not for me but have tried Rosemary Conley and lost 4 and half stone but very strict and gained some when got to goal weight as it`s so hard to eat normal after without putting any back on.
    Oh well never mind...my leg muscles are bulging and my bum is tight and I feel quite firm all over....but I`d till have rather lost a pound!
    Kim