Need 2lb hand weight exercises for 65 yr old mother..

• Could you post some simple links to beginners weight lifting exercises? My 65 yr old mother walks every day for 5 miles and I suggested some light weight lifting for retaining a bit more muscle. She's pretty skinny.

Any links with pictures? She likes to see exactly how to do it.

Thanks!!

• ExRx.net has quick little videos of a man doing weights. I kinda like it And I've learned a lot for Krista at www.stumptuous.com/cms/index.php She has a work out that's all dumbells.
    Pat from Alaska (water rat) is over 60 and an excellent example (I think) You could pop around the boards and see what she's up to.
  • Susan, thank you.

aschenbrodel, a good place to start is with Miriam Nelson's Smart Women books. There's SW Stay Young and SW Stay Slim as well as one other I can't recall the name of. There's also a website www.strongwomen.com which has some graphices of the exercises. These books start off with simple routines using lighter weights. They're a great for beginners. THe sites that Susan mentioned are very good too. And once she gets going, the thread "What Else Is There Besides BFL" has some book recommendations.

Tell her she'll see great results with just a little effort, and I know that I enjoy being stronger than many of my friends.
  • Strong Women, Strong Bones is another by Miriam Nelson, I think.