Low Fat Cheese *cringe*

• Heys!
    This prolly should be in the FAQ section but I dunno. So I really dont like cheese, other than pizza, quesadillas and a few other selections. Now on SBD we're not supposed to have full fat cheese...but my problem is, I found some LF colby-monterey jack and omg I had to throw my lunch away. Total rubber. Any suggestions? Or should I just use the regular as a very rare occasion "treat"? Thanks gals!
  • Do you have a Trader Joes near you? They have a wonderful return policy if you don't like a product. My TJ's has a wide variety of low fat and fat free cheeses to choose from.

I've found a wide variation in tastes and textures of different brands of cheeses.

Good luck finding one you like.
    Sarah
  • I cannot stomach the low-fat/fat-free cheese, so I bite the bullet and eat the real stuff (actualy quite often as a snack). The first time I did SBD, I did not find it caused me an trouble with weight loss/gain.
  • I've found that if you get LF hot/jalapeno pepper cheese, it doesn't taste as low fat as some of the others since the peppers take your mind off the 'low fat' taste. Hope this helps
  • I, in general, don't like most types of cheese, full-fat or low-fat, but I've found the 50% light Cabot cheddar to be excellent! They have little snack slices or they have jalapeno-flavored kinds, which I don't eat, but would probably be a way to eliminate the LF taste.

You don't really HAVE to eat cheese, if you can find some other snack item. I think most people like it because the fat content keeps them feeling full longer. Nuts/peanut butter would serve the same function, I would imagine.
  • There is kraft 2% cheese....I cannot even taste the difference. I tried fat free cheddar and almost threw up as well. I consider myself a cheese expert.....
  • ok I'm all about cheese, hence why I'm on the beach but anyway...yes the Cabot LF pepperjack is great but also most string cheese and part skim mozzarella counts as low fat. I believe it should be less than 6 gms of fat per oz, that covers a lot of cheese. If you buy fat free shredded cheese, mix it with full fat cheese and voila you've got half and half cheese-works for receipes
  • Yippie! Considering I eat quite a bit of string cheese since it's easy to grab and take with me when I do go into the office. I have to be prepared there since we have a lot of clients that are fond of bringing in sweet treats as thank you gifts (I work in a veterinary specialty/emergency hospital).
  • thanks for all the suggestions! i wish there was a trader joe's here - i keep seeing the name pop up. i may just stick to the full fat cheese for when i really want a quesadilla. i had the kraft colby-monterey lower fat crumbles today and flipped. now i know the world isn't ending! thanks again!
  • i eat the 2% cheeses and they are good. i can't even FIND fat-free cheese around here. shows how health-conscious this area is, i guess.