What's Best For Breakfast?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I want to get some ideas on what is best to eat for breakfast. What kind of cereals are the best also, because I LOVE any kind of cereal. I don't have much time in the morning to cook and I've been eating a lot of Special K w/ a banana on top, but I'm getting kind of bored with that. I've noticed a lot of people eating Kashi Go Lean, is this cereal good? I need ideas for a quick breakfast for someone who needs to lose over 100 lbs.
  • I just recently tried the Kashi Go Lean and it was okay - I mean nothing like fruit loops or anything. Little 'cardboadie' but it has something to it I enjoy. Just last night I found Kashi Go Lean Crunch - I haven't tried it with milk yet but I have a bit dry and it tasted much better .... not as good for you though.

I also enjoy the quaker instant flavoured oatmeal - bit high in sugar but they do make low sugar and weight control ones.

Another thing I love is toast... with some very low fat cream cheese and sliced meat - I enjoy begals too but try not to eat them too often and if I do have a begal I try and watch my bread carbs for the rest of the day.
  • Oatmeal with fruit.
    Eggs and wheat toast.
    Yogurt with fruit.
    Breakfast protien shake.
    Tuna and cottage cheese.
    Small fruit salad w/ nuts.
  • I definitely like Kashi Go Lean and Go Lean Crunch. I recently started eating Kashi Good Friends because of the high fiber content (12 grams per serving). I also like Kashi Heart to Heart, but that one has the lowest fiber content of all the ones I listed.

I usually have cereal with skim milk for breakfast but occasionally I will have a hardboiled egg (sometimes 2) with one of the vegetarian breakfast patties (like the ones from Morningstar Farms or Boca Burger). I usually boil the eggs ahead of time so I can just grab them out of the fridge when I want them.
  • I like the South Beach breakfast wraps. From 160-200 calories (depending on type) very tasty and 15 grams of fiber and protein per serving.

I don't do South Beach or anything, I buy them because they're good
  • Quote: I just recently tried the Kashi Go Lean and it was okay - I mean nothing like fruit loops or anything. Little 'cardboadie'
    Yeah, that's the way it tastes to me. I've tried getting used to the Kashi cereals, but *blech*, to me they taste horrible. That and I don't like the texture. It grosses me out
  • Oh man I am going to weigh in on this one....i just tried that Kashi Go Lean Crunch and I am HOOKED on it! loads of fiber and protein and with a 1/2 banana and a boiled egg, i now am good to go ALL morning..with no snack!

I have tried other cereals but nothing is as good as this in my opinion!!
  • I make a shake most mornings with a banana, berries, fat-free vanilla or fruit yogurt, and vanilla soymilk - it generally keeps me full for awhile. On mornings I want something more i do good old poached eggs on flax bread toast - they only take about 3 minutes to cook, and are pretty much guaranteed to fill me up until lunch.
  • Quote: I make a shake most mornings with a banana, berries, fat-free vanilla or fruit yogurt, and vanilla soymilk - it generally keeps me full for awhile.
    This is almost exactly what I have for breakfast a lot of the time, except I use Silk soy "yogurt" (the plain kind). My "other breakfast" (seems like I only have 2 these days, at least on weekdays) is a cup of Kashi GoLean dry and a piece of fruit. I like it, but I am partial to a lot of things that taste 'cardboadie' to others.
  • I enjoy Kashi Go Lean Crunch as well from time to time.

My most recent breakfast has been steel cut oatmeal with dried fruit - I make 4 servings in my slow cooker and just keep it in the fridge and microwave in the morning after the first day. It's great with dried blueberries, cranberries, or sour cherries.

I also have a good whole grain slice of toast with 1T of natural peanut butter on top. I saw the other day to slice half a banana on top of that - going to try that next.

I like eggs and whole wheat toast as well which have about once a week.
  • I'm partial to Oats & More - the off-brand of Honey Bunches of Oats, but the granola chunks are more substantial . I shop at Pathmark so I buy Pathmark brand, but other supermarkets market it under their own label. It comes in honey, almond & strawberry flavors. My favorite is the honey kind with milk and sliced bananas. Second favorite is Honey Nut Cheerios. Third, Raisin Bran.

Then again, I cereal so much (could eat a box dry!) that I rarely eat it. I'm better off with toast, peanut butter, applesauce and bananas
  • Quote: I also have a good whole grain slice of toast with 1T of natural peanut butter on top. I saw the other day to slice half a banana on top of that - going to try that next.
    If you can spare a few calories, try that with honey drizzled on top or a spread of applesauce - yum!
  • normally I have cereal and skim milk, maybe a piece of fruit, but this morning I woke up with a craving for a veggie cheese burger LOL It was great! Funny how I forget we don't have to stick to "breakfast" foods.
  • I was eating the packeted Quaker Oatmeal every morning, then realized how it really wasn't all that good for you with all the sugar.
    SO, this week, I've been scrambling 1 whole egg with 2 egg whites. They take like a minute to scramble over the stove. Then I shower and get ready for work. When I'm ready to leave, I put the eggs in a baggie. The night before I measure out a quarter cup of Kraft Free Shredded Cheddar Cheese and put a Thomas' Whole Grain Light english muffin in a baggie. When I get to work, I reheat the eggs with the cheese on top in the microwave and toast the english muffin. I put some eggs and cheese on each half of the muffin.
    It's SOOO good and it keeps me filled up for hours.
  • Mmm...that sounds really good cemetarysiren....I'm gonna have to try that!

I need to change up my breakfast routine a bit. I'm always in such a hurry. I have a whole wheat english muffin with peanut butter and eat it on the way to the bus. It's a little boring compared to all these yummy breakfasts!