Wave 1 -Toasted quinoa pilaf

• 2 tbs diced onion or shallot
    6 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tbs EVOO
    400g/14 oz quinoa
    700ml/1 1/4 pints chicken stock
    1 1/2 tsp chopped fresh thyme 0r 1/2 tsp dried thyme
    1 bay leaf
    115g/4 oz bottled roasted red peppers, diced (a treat in and of themselves!)
    salt and pepper (I didn't use either but the recipe calls for it, to taste)

1. In a large saucepan, cook the onions and garlic in the hot oil over medium heat until tender. Stir in the quinoa and cook, stirring constantly, until it is golden brown (about 5 minutes). Stir in stock, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to the boil; reduce heat; cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until quinoa is tender and fluffy. (I found that fater 20 minutes, I needed to take the lid off and stir constantly for about 5 minutes to reach desired consistency).
    2. Discard bay leaf and stir in roasted peppers. Season to taste, if desired.
  • This sounds really good. I made quinoa a week or so ago, but just did it with chicken broth and some muchrooms I had on hand and didn't toast the grain first - wow did it make a HUGE amount. I use a cup of the quinoa and started freezing half cup portions and zowie a lot. I will definitely cut back on qty for cooking next time.

Toasting adds a lot of flavor and I think the texture would improve, too.

And I LOVE roasted red peppers. They are my one of my favorite additions to a ton of rhings, so good chopped in salads or laid on top of vegies and fab on a sandwich - so juicy and yummy. I used to roll them up with a slice of ham or turkey and cheese and a little mustard for a great snack 'stick', too. Mmmmmmmm.
  • Boy does it ever make alot! I still have left-overs in the fridge from the first batch! And I was eating it for my grain at dinner several nights when the family had potatoes. I'll try freezing some next time.
  • Where did you find the quinoa? My husband and I haven't been able to find it in any of our grocery stores.
  • Did you try the healthfood section of your grocery store? That's where I found it, not with the other (cheaper!) grains. I also think the book suggests going to an actual healthfood store for it.
  • I really like that recipe as well. However, I don't know what EVOO is? Could you tell me if that is something from England?

Great job on the challenge so far!

~Cate
  • Cate, EVOO is an acronym for "extra virgin olive oil."
  • DUH...

Okay, so I can blame that on too much exercise.

~Cate
  • Thanks! I didn't even think to look for it at the health food store. And I'm in there all the time. lol

Amy
  • EVOO- I think I picked that up from Rachel Ray's 30 minute meals and it just stuck.
  • This sounds fab. Unfortunately DH has a passionate dislike of Quinoa (he's ot really fussy usually so I tend not to try and force things on him!) so would be cooking for 1 with a meal's leftovers- how many would you say this recipe feeds??
  • we loved it too. It does make a big batch but I probably get 4 servings out and dh gets 4 (his being double of mine, lol)