NSVs = non-scale victories!

You're on Page 1 of 5
Go to
  • The scales haven't been playing ball with some of us recently. Frus has even put hers in the cupboard! It's time to celebrate our non-scale victories.

• I tried on a skirt this morning. I started with size 14 (= US10), then size 12 (= US8) and then .... size 10 (= US6)!!! It fitted. I don't remember ever being a size 10.

I know UK sizes have changed since I was a girl but I am celebrating this victory!
  • WOW Silver great progress!! Congrats!

My NSV were, measurements this week... Since Jan '05 I have lost -2" on my chest, waist stayed the same, lost -1" on my hips, thighs stayed the same and lost -1" on my biceps... went from a size 8-10 to 4-6-8 ... Lost only 2# though, but I really don't care after reading those measurements...
  • My NSV are mostly psychological. I feel so much beter! Since adding exercise to my day my body is so much happier. I wake up feeling revived!
  • Great NSV's all!!! Well done!!!!

I am greedy and have two. I went to the charity shop/thrift store, yesterday and saw the most gorgeous skirt (Per Una, Marks and Spencer) it's purple and lacey and size 16. (US 12) I really didn't think it would fit, but it did and now it's mine! It looks lovely and I adore it!

My second is I went for my regular swim today and was chatting to Pat and Ann my swimming friends, who were bemoaning their bingo wings (flab under arms) and I was trying to show mine, and they both said "you have gorgeous arms" My flab is all but gone!!! Yay!!!!
  • My father in law asked me with genuine concern if I had been sick because I had seemingly lost weight, and my DH answered for me, saying that I was careful with what I ate and exercising. DH also commented that I was "losing weight wicked". I practically skipped the rest of the day
  • Erm... ok! My size 12 (US 8) trousers almost do up!

I can lift my bike up with no problem - all 300lbs of it!

I got through my first mega-strenuous week of exercise wanting to do more! I had to strap myself to the bed yesterday to get enough rest!

I can feel my arms are musclier!
  • Good work, everyone! These NSVs are so inspiring; I just love reading them.

May I have another?

[permission granted]

When I was in the kitchen telling the Man about my skirt victory (see above), the Boy called through from the sitting room: 'You're much taller and thinner now.'

Taller and thinner? Oh yes. Thank you. Very true.

Oh, yes, and I've got some kind of jaw-line definition thingy. Any ideas?

Thanks for the congrats, Ilene!
  • I'm having another too!

I "ran" 25 minutes non stop! That's a helluva victory whatever!

SB I really like your boy, he is
  • Quote: I "ran" 25 minutes non stop! That's a helluva victory whatever!
    You are right! Why the inverted commas? You are a runner now. No argy-bargy.

Quote:
    SB I really like your boy, he is
    Thank you. He is a total darling.
  • OK, I AM a runner! It's the pace that doesn't feel like running... more shuffling! Seriously though, on the way back, I thought, "Wow! I really am a runner now!"
  • Quote: When I was in the kitchen telling the Man about my skirt victory (see above), the Boy called through from the sitting room: 'You're much taller and thinner now.'
    Taller and thinner? Oh yes. Thank you. Very true.
    There is an exercise to be taller? Do tell!
    But seriously - DH has started noticing muscles where there used to be flab... Naturally, I now do Muscleman poses just for entertainment value.. I have triceps instead of bat wings!!
  • Quote: There is an exercise to be taller? Do tell!
    Dear Muscleman

I've been thinking a lot about this! I think it's something about the way my trousers hang better on my legs (and so make them look longer) and the way I stand up straighter when I've been working hard with weights.

But your guess, Gina, is as good as mine!

I think I might measure my height again. It's years since I did.
  • My co-workers noticed that I've been losing today. What a big ego boost, and just when I needed it too.

I hit the fitness center first thing this am, and had so much fun!
  • We do look taller when we are thinner... I've been told this on numerous occasions. Another example is when a friend of mine was very very sick and lost a LOT of weight, she seemed sooo much taller than before.

Silver, also the fact that your trousers ARE definitely fitting better on your hips instead of cutting into your waist makes you look taller especially to a child.