Cool Runners #20 - November '05

You're on Page 3 of 6
Go to
  • That's definitely doable - I was a similar weight to you (or a bit heavier) when I started running in about March, and I did my first 10k in July - I've worked up to 10k now. I did take things too quickly at first though and injured my foot for a couple of weeks, so I'd agree it's best to work up slowly!
  • I will probably repeat week 1 just so my body can get the hang of this.

What weeks were the hardest for you?

YP1 I took a look at your blog, you've done wonderful! Very inspirational.

I'm feeling hungry tonight. It's bedtime though, so I'll drink some more water and head to bed. I am trying to condition myself not to eat after 7pm.
  • Mode -- Good for you for not eating before bed! It's a good habit to have but an awfully difficult one to break... I've done it so it can be done...
  • I got through Week 1 Day 3, but I'm not sure I'm physically ready to move to week 2. It could be just mental, so I will attempt Week 2 Day 1 with all I've got, and then adjust down a bit if I can't.

I've been good food wise today, though my brain is screaming it's the weekend and it's okay to cheat.
  • Yesterday I had a great 7k run, it was very cool, no wind, it was awesome!!
  • Got out today for the first time in a week, well for running anyway. Had an OK one, not wonderful not terrible.

Anne
  • I find it much harder to run on the weekends but I did make it out for my long run this morning (8miles). Weather was good...a little cool at the start but by the time I warmed up it felt great. Hope everyone had a great weekend. Tomorrow's challenge: hill program on the treadmill!
  • Today was my long run 10k... It was nice and cool I enjoyed it a lot...
  • I just finished my Week 2. Can't wait to move on to week 3! According to the program, I should be able to run the 5K around New Year!

Wondered if anybody has done some strenght training that has help their performance?
  • Yes lower body strengthening has really helped my endurance (lunges, squats, etc) but I never run on the days that I do lower body weights. Upper body training will help balance out your routine. Congrats on finishing week two!

I did a 3.25 mile hill running program this morning and felt pretty good. Tomorrow, no run because I am training legs!
  • Thanks Liz, really appreciate your advise!
  • Today is my leg training day, I also don't run on leg day because I can barely walk out of the gym ... Tomorrow is a run day though and work upper body too...
  • Hey guys,

I know I have been MIA sorry about that. I am starting a run today for the 1st time in 3 weeks :O WOW! It feels funny to actually say it. Well good news is that I'm still lifting and doing well with that. I can do 11 full body pushups easy now woohoo go me! My eating hasn't been the best of the best but I'm working on it. Today I will run on my lunch since it's dark when I go to work and dark when I leave so I'll be running on lunch starting now be back with an update.

*************ETA I have just finished my workout and I did pretty good! I'm proud of myself. I can't believe how lazy I'd gotten. I think I was beginning to overtrain then over stress about life's priorities.
  • Good workouts ladies!!!!

I did week 2 day 1 today and didn't die!!! lol

I though for sure I wasn't going to be able to make it. Last week was harder for me to do.

Miaka, you aren't too far ahead of me! We can do it.
  • Julie - I'm week 2 day 1 or 2 depending on how I feel! (I did half of day 1 before I went to Tokyo) I need to pick it up tonight and get jogging for that whole 90 seconds! I love the 2 minute walk you get too! It's just repeating it that is the problem!

Mrs D - I'm thinking about starting running at lunchtimes. I don't know though! I'm a bit apprehensive about getting teased at work! Like that really bothers me? I don't know, maybe I'm afraid people will start to rib me more if I give up! Maybe I really should run at lunch, then I don't have an excuse if everyone's expecting me to go! I think if I sign up for a 5k then I can say I'm "training".