Jillian's Girls Exercise Journal

You're on Page 76 of 101
Go to
  • Hey guys - I had a great workout this morning! I got myself to the gym about 20 minutes earlier than usual, which gave me time at the end of my Tuesday workout to walk a very brisk mile. My plan is to do this to get some extra cardio into each week.

I must say that I did struggle today with the back extensions/hamstring curl combo - got a bit of a cramp in the back of one leg from the back extensions so I wasn't able to complete that circuit. Despite this being my third week on this, I 've always managed to miss Tuesday's workout, so it was a first for me. Guess these are something I'll be working up to, like bench dips!

Eating has been pretty good - I got the whole week's menu planned and shopped for on Sunday, along with cooking a couple of meals, so it's been easy going this week. I like when I plan ahead like this!

How is everyone else doing?

My wedding planning is getting a bit stressful again - my cake-centerpiece plan may fall through because of costs (I refuse to pay a fortune for an 8" cake!), so we may be back to the cupcake tree idea. And, I really need to book a DJ, but have no idea how I'll do it long distance. The flowers are another detail that I've been ignoring and really need to think about as well. Good thing I have exercise to help me with this stress!
    Cindy
  • Hi all!
    I've been having "clunky pc itis" at home lately. And work has actually left little time for hanging out online for some reason.

Workouts have been good, eating...well...let's not go there.

Cindy - isn't planning ahead an amazing thing? I do not envy the wedding stress...we eloped, now I know why.

ledom - WTG in making it thru a weekend of OP!
  • Well Chick, somewhat better on the weekend. I kind of lost it Sunday, but am back at it now. Re-evaluating some weekend habits such as drinking wine. I know I need to stop it, not so much for the wine calories but the lack of self-control following it. Workouts good. I just keep recycling Jillian's program and am back up to week 7. What are you doing now that you have been through all the workouts. I know you do spinning but what if your lifting like now?

Cindy - good luck with your wedding plans. I know it will be beautiful and try to enjoy it even if it is stressful.

Keeping my nose to the grindstone these days. Work is busy.
  • Good morning all! I did 4 miles in my hour of morning cardio - 2.5 on the elliptical and another 1.5 on the treadmill! I can't believe I am actually doing a straight hour of cardio - this is definitely a first for me!

Another first - I got to the gym by 6:35 this morning! That allowed me to get the machine I prefer, get my hour in and then have 15 minutes for some good stretching before I had to hop in the shower. Makes for a more hectic morning before I get there, but I like this better than getting there almost 1/2 hr later. I hope to make it a new habit!

Chick - sorry to hear about your PC issues - hopefully something that can be easily fixed.

Ledom, funny that you asked Chick about her workouts - I was wondering that myself today - wondering how many here are still doing Jillian's workouts by the book, and who has modified it into their own.

Thanks for the support with the wedding plans - I know it will be fine in the end, just that sometimes it seems pretty overwhelming. I already did the fun parts, now I have to do the necessary and expensive evils!

Hello to everyone else out there - drop in and say Hi!
    Cindy
  • Hi Girls, remember me!?! lol!
    My computer is still messing up, so this is just a quick note to say hi, while it's working! I've decided that i don't like moving house, it's pretty stressful! I'm more in maintinence mode right now, i simply don't have the time to be exercising 5-6 days a week, but as soon as we move (in the next week or 2) i'll be back on track. And the internet will be working better when we move too, so then i'll be able to post regularly again.
    You all are doing so well, so keep up the awesome efforts!
  • Good to see ya back, twinklegirl!! Hope you are done moving soon, miss ya!

ledom & cindy - I'm kinda winging it on weight lifting. It kinda depends on whether I get 3 days a week in or 2. When I get 3 in, I do a modified front day and back day, I do the cardio portion separate in spin. When I only get 2 in, I do front and back in the same day. I'm not really looking to build more muscle, just maintain what I have. I do a combo of exercises I learned from Jillian as well as whatever machine looks like fun or doesn't have someone using it.
  • Hi again girls,
    In reference to our workouts, when i'm totally on track, i follow the plan on Jillian website which is two front days, two back days and one cardio day per week. Although, i'm a bit of a cardio junkie, i would prefer to do that than circuits any day, so some weeks i'll skip one front day and one back day and do cardio instead. It depends how i feel. I figure that if i really don't want to do circuits i won't be putting 100% into them, so it's better that i do cardio and enjoy it.
  • I don't know if it is lack of imagination or what with me, but having started Jillian's workouts, nothing else feels right. The get harder as they proceed, but I am always feeling okay about going back to week 1 when I finish week 12. It still feels like a good workout to me. I sometimes flounder toward the end of the cycle as they do get harder and take longer. But anyway, I am on week 7 now and really enjoying it. Enjoying it? Did I just say that? I guess it's true. It feels good to go in and work up a sweat. I never do those combo exercise though where she has you do something like jacks and biceps at the same time. I can see the point but one reason is that I also see the point of really working the muscle. That is one thing I sometimes feel about her workouts, that arms and shoulders get short shrift, they just don't get as many exercises as I would do with a different strength program. I could do that in addition but I think I am already spending enough time in the gym. Maybe at the end of this cycle I'll look for a different routine for a while. I do like the concept of front/back though. I think working upper and lower in the same workout does get your heart going and is probably more efficient.

Isn't she writing a new book? I hope she includes a new workout sequence.

TwinkleGirl - so good to see you. I look forward to when you will be able to post again more regularly. Miss you as well as our other regulars.

Gina, how many times a week do you spin, for how long? And does empahsizing cardio seem to make the scale more friendly?

Cindy, you are doing great. I think when you first start out you begin to notice small differences but it is almost like you have to lose more at first to notice those differences than when you really get going and just a few lbs. can make a huge difference in the size you wear, etc.

I am still struggling with food on the weekends. It is getting better but it is really sabatoging my efforts to get back into my wardrobe. I am holding the line though on no new clothes in a larger size. I have enough stuff to wear, but still not back in the skinny jeans.
  • Hello everyone! Glad to see you Twinklegirl! Hope the move settles down for you soon!

Ledom - I'm with you - I just can't envision doing bicep curls while jumping around. I would feel ridiculous doing that. No way to focus on form, in my opinion. Now, if my gym had a bosu ball and I could stand on that while I did them, that would be a different story. Actually, maybe I'll buy one for myself and take it there to use. Too bad it would be too big to fit in my locker.

Speaking of sweating, yesterday during my cardio day I decided two things - first, that I would have to start wearing a tank top on my cardio days, because I just get too hot in a t-shirt and secondly, and I know you're all going to laugh at this, I need to start wearing what we used to call a do-rag (rolled, twisted bandana) around my head, ala the lead singer of the band Loverboy ,to stop the sweat from pouring down my face, into my eyes and down my neck. Call me an '80's throwback, but it's more of a functional thing than a fashion statement for me! My gym does not have a single fan available, and I've been dying since I broke my little clip-on one. As it's winter here, I won't see a replacement in the stores any time soon, so I have to find other means of staying cooler!

Well, I'd better get back to work - talk to you gals later!
    Cindy
  • Just a quick note - Cindy, I priced a bosu ball at Target the other day. I was shocked to find it cost $90! They have them at my gym but I haven't ventured to try them out yet. I have been looking at a lot of exercise mags lately and am thinking about trying some new stuff.
  • Wow - that's pricey! I thought I had seen a cheaper version at Dick's Sporting Goods - I'll have to look at their ad on Sunday to see if it's listed.

Another good workout today - I woke up with a nasty headache, but I took ibuprofen and forced myself to the gym. It actually didn't interfere with my workout, but I felt it as soon as I got out of the shower!

I was a bit tired this morning - don't think I slept well. I woke up overheated, and was very hot throughout my workout. I'm hoping it's my metabolism revving up, causing me to be like a furnace!

You gals have a great day! I move to the week 3-4 workouts on Monday, so plan to spend some time this weekend familiarizing myself with those exercises.

That, and doing my taxes - big fun.... But there should be a refund in my future, which is what motivates me to do them right away.
    Cindy

PS - Happy Groundhog Day!
  • I tried this recipe last night and thought it was great!

Orange-Glazed Ginger Beef
    (from College Inn beef broth can)
    4 servings

1/4 c. low sodium soy sauce
    2T. frozen OJ concentrate
    2T. cornstarch
    1t. ground ginger
    1t. grated orange peel
    1 pound lean beef, cut into strips
    2 c. broccoli florets (I used frozen and added at the end)
    1 md. onion cut into thin wedges
    1 T. vegetable oil
    1 can low sodium beef broth
    Hot cooked brown rice

In large bowl, combine soy sauce, oj concentrate, cornstarch, ginger and orange peel; stir to dissolve cornstarch. Add beef; marinate 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in large skillet, cook and stir broccoli and onion in oil until tender-crisp; remove. Drain beef, reserving marinade. In same skillet, over med-high heat, cook and stir beef 3-4 minutes until browned; remove. Add reserved marinade and broth to skillet; boil 5 minutes. Add beef and vegetables; heat. Serve over rice.

Per serving:
    325 calories, 39g protein, 14g carbs, 12g fat, 4g sat. fat
  • That recipe does look good. Thanks for sharing. Just finished eating a huge salad for lunch here.

Got my workout in this a.m. despite cold and snowy conditions that seemed to keep a lot of other folks away from the gym this a.m. Made me feel very virtuous to have met that challenge. Need to do my 1 hr. cardio tomorrow and then I will have completed week 5. The back workout took me 1 hr. 30 min. today. I think it is the days where you have to work each side seperately - (lunges, concentratin curls) - like today that really stretch out the time. Also adding longer cardio intervals adds to that. Anyway, it's done now. Still kicking myself over my early winter gain. Why oh why - it is taking forever to get it back off. I didn't even weigh this week - just too depressing. Clothes fitting only slightly better.

Anyway, the weekend is almost here - concentrating on being a good girl.
    Hope everyone else has a good one.
  • Maybe you all already know about this, but I learned about a wonderful website for Foodies watching their weight:

www.hungrygirl.com
    "Tips and Tricks for Hungry Chicks!"
    They have a lots of recipe rescue/alternatives on there - and a great list of suggestions for Super Bowl munchies - I will definitely be doing some of them for Sunday!
    http://www.hungry-girl.com/girls/bit....php?isid=1018
  • Just had a kick butt workout. I was wrong - I finish up with a hike tomorrow.

The best workout CD ever. Big Head Todd and the Monster's Sister Sweetly.

:Edited to say I have a date tonight!