Summer Challenge Wrap-up

• Hello Challengers! I know that the thread dropped off almost completely, but I was wondering if anyone continued to work on the goals that you set.

I wanted to continue to exercise and I did. In the last 84 days (approximately the duration of the challenge), I exercised 58 days (or 69% of the time for an average of 4.8 times/week).

Unfortunately, I was less consistent with the journaling. But, I've definitely lost some inches and a few pounds even though as a scale avoider, I don't know how much. Several people have commented that I'm losing weight again (mostly noticeable in my face, neck, back and waist). In total honesty, I must report that my backside still requires a zip code of its own!

I am ready to start my next challenge which will last the next 12 weeks (approximately until Labor Day). If anyone is interested, I will start a thread or you can and I'll 'see' you there.
  • I would love a challenge thread--I'm trying hard to get back into weight loss after taking 20 months off. Ick. I think a challenge thread might help get me started!
  • Hi Kerrie - Good to hear from you. Since you're interested, I'll start a challenge thread. Even if no one else shows up, I'll be there along with you.
  • Swan - glad to see you set up a post for the summer challenge wrap-up.

I did set and meet a particular goal for myself during the challenge. My goal had been to run for one mile without stopping. To me, run means that I turn up the speed fast enough on the treadmill that I no longer can use a walk stride to keep up, but must begin to jog or run to keep up. I now regularly (as in just about every time I use the treadmill) jog for 1 mile near the start of my exercise (at about 4.2 mph) and then alternate quarter-mile walks with quarter-mile jogs for the rest of the time.

This was a major milestone for me mentally. I feel I've increased the efficiency of the time I spend exercising dramatically -- the faster I'm going, the more calories and energy I'm expending and strength/endurance I'm gaining. And, it demonstrates to me each and every time I use the treadmill how much healthier I am by having lost so much weight. It's a total win for me.

Looking forward to the next challenge. Even if we don't necessarily have a strong and vibrant thread to track our goals, it helps me set a new milestone to reach for. If I don't have that milestone, I'll be less likely to strive for anything.

Judy in summery (finally) MA
  • Judy - I was so happy to learn about your progress. I consider running to be a major achievement, let alone running a continuous mile. How awesome!! For some reason, the 'challenge' threads always seem to drop off a bit and I am usually unsure whether to start a new one. Hearing that a challenge has inspired you serves to inspire me and makes my day. Keep up the good work and see you at the next challenge.