Silly question?

• When you all make your protein shakes do you make them with water or milk? And if you choose one over the other why?

Thanks
  • I use water for a couple of reasons.
    1) I usually have my shakes on the road or at the gym. Water is available. It doesn't go bad if left unrefrigerated.

2) I don't want the calories or carbs from the milk. I eat a very strictly controlled diet and milk is such an incomplete protein that I count it as a carb. It's full of lactose, a natural sugar. On the plus side, it's got a lot of calcium, but I get plenty from other sources.

For me, the negatives (I'd have to give up some other food) outweigh the benefits.

Mel
  • I use water. Partly because I have to watch how much dairy I eat (upsets my tummy) and partly for calories sake. I take extra calcium.
  • Water here too, for exactly the same reasons as Mel.
  • Water
    Water -- less calories and less dairy. Take calcium supplements and get my dairy from yogurt or cottage cheese.

Not a silly question, though!

Luanne
  • Water here too for the same reasons as above, too many cals!! Take a calcium sup on the side....
  • Oooh I make mine with milk! Because milk is good for you! And I would've thought that they taste positively rank with water! I've just never entertained the idea! Also if I have protein powder in milk with a banana - almost a complete meal in just one glass!
  • I do add frozen strawberries, splenda and vanillato my PP though so I don't miss the milk taste...
  • Me too, I use plain powder so that the flavour is up to me. Peach/pineapple. strawberry/kiwi, mixed berry are some of my favourites. I add a touch of splenda too.

oh, oh, oh and crushed flaxseed.
  • Milk isn't necessarily good for you unless you are a baby cow, a young human, or not getting enough calcium elsewhere.

The claims by the dairy industry that diary helps you lose weight have been debunked. Turns out those people were eating less in general and it had nothing to do with the calcium.

The taste of the shake depends on what you put in it. I've tasted some protein powders that just taste vile to me, no matter what is in them. Others swear by them and think they are delicious. I think the ones that I use taste delicious. Before I cut back to 5 meals a day, meal 6 during the summer was always an "ice cream" made from protein powder, ice, frozen fruit, and a bit of water, blended until thick and smooth. It tasted just like soft-serve ice cream, or frozen yogurt to me (keep in mind I haven't had the real thing in years!)

Mel
  • Once you've had to clean out your milk-based shake shaker after leaving in a hot car for a day, you'll know why water is much more practical!

I started out using milk in my Myo Lite's but have graduated to using water. I don't even miss the milk now, I'm so used to what they taste like made with water.

Another tip is that if you are taking Udo's or flaxseed oil, 1-2 T added to a shake made with water gives it a much more "creamy" consistency than just plain water.
    Cindy
  • water water water
  • Hi,

Just to give a dissonant voice here...I use orange juice. I like the flavor of orange juice with soy protein powder and aspartame. And I cannot tolerate milk. I eat yoghurt and I use a calcium supplement as well.

rabbit