Holy Sore Muscles Batman!

• So, after 2 weeks using resistance bands-- due to a broken foot and a recent move that left the weight stuff taken down and in the basement, I finally had my first workout using the free weights in a long time (since before the pregnancy of my 1 y.o.). So, I thought I was getting a pretty good workout with the bands. Let me just say that the free weight work out makes the bands feel like a couch potato work out. I am sooooooooooo sore!

Any advice on how to lessen the soreness a bit and still get a great workout? (especially since I lug around children all day long and need my arms)
  • I really really like a topical cream called Lloyds Cream. I'm not sure if you can get it in the US, but I love it the day after a heavy workout!

How about trying a hot hot bath after your workout to get the blood flowing and all the stiffness inducing chemicals out!

Also - I know this is maybe a little crazy, but very light cardio will stretch your muscles out a bit and make them feel "loser". Try circling your arms and shaking your legs off, movement sometimes helps!
  • 1. Warm up before and cool down afterwards.
    2. Ice the area
    3. Massage
    4. Stretching
    5. Take a warm bath
    6. Take Tylenol or Advil
    7. I take Glutamine on a regular basis to help with the soreness, I take it after my workout in my protein shake...
    8. There's some evidence that Vit C reduces soreness, I take that too
  • Ice is Nice
    My favorite for muscle pain is arnica. You can get it in a cream form called Traumeel (they'll have it at health food stores) - no smell, just a great product. It also helps bruises (great for us clumsy types). If THAT doesn't work, then I'll go for Tiger Balm which is oily AND stinky stinky but it does help.

My dad always sniffs at "natural" stuff but when he had knee surgery the Traumeel cream (his doc ok'd it) did help keep the swelling down and the bruising went away a lot faster.

Not sure how it works, but it works. You can also get arnica in little tablets that dissolve in your mouth.

Good luck and keep on liftin'!!!
  • warm up properly stretch between sets! move the arms around to cool down i.e swimming action or even better do a light cardio session after to flush the blood around. high protein and water intakes. my fav food for before and after trainng are a huge bowl of porridge with a big table spoon of honey on and after i like to eat 1 chicken breast with 2 poached eggs. static stretching is a no no untill you finish and during your cool down mix it with a dynamic set of exercises plenty of water. or if you can relaxed swim where you get a full range of motion in the arms and legs followed by a stint in the sauna and spa always does it for me