300+ And Ready To Try Again... #742

You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to
  • Well ladies, here's my clip of the day. This is from the BBC News, on research out of Dundee University. They have found a link between Leptin and the brain's memory and learning process in the hippocampus. Leptin is that hormone that tells us we are full, and that which obese people stop producing enough of. This is an exact quote:

""Leptin enhances the level of communication between brain cells in the hippocampus in a process known as long-term potentiation (LTP).
    It has been shown previously that people suffering from obesity have defects in their leptin levels and in the LTP process. The group's findings could therefore shed light on how obesity affects learning and memory. Dr Harvey said: "Defects in either leptin or genes that regulate leptin result in obesity and also cause impairments in LTP.""

So ladies the moral of the story is get fat, and you'll get dumber. I am going to look at it as lose weight, and get smarter. We are such a chemical soup.
  • Hippievanlady – I must be a mutation then… cause I’m pretty smart right now. Top 35% of most of my classes… however, thinking about it… that means if I loose weight, I’ll be even smarter… oooh,,, oooh! Thanks for that newsclipping. I find it interesting how they correlate that information. But I wonder if Leptin, which is not produced as much in obese people, if they’ve done any research on creating a Leptin pill, or supplement and if they’ve had any encouraging results from it. I know there are many factors to obesity… but it’s still interesting to see what they know.

I ate more than I should have yesterday before dinner and had like only 500 calories left in my schedule. We were debating on what to eat… and so we went out and James wanted some Del Taco… *sigh* so I got cravings as we entered the drive through and when he went to go look for his wallet he left it at home. SO! He scrounged up some dollars in his pocket and had only enough for one meal. I said he needs to eat it because I could really do without eating that food. It was like a sign trying to keep me honest on my weight loss. So he felt really guilty tho and gave me his fries. I ate those through out the night. Was under my calorie budget so it was okie. More fat than I would have liked to take, but I stayed under my budget and was glad.

I’m doing well today, just getting some studying in. I have an exam every Tuesday for Calculus. So it gets rather hectic during this time of the week. My last day of instruction is July 27th. So I’m hoping to take the kid to Soak City on July 28th. (A water park) This way it’s during the summer and hopefully not as busy. She goes back on track to school starting August 1st. So it will be a nice little get away… maybe might got to Raging Waters instead… not sure… one or the other

Oh, before I go… The guy who was suppose to do my driveway this Saturday, well, he’s going to come THIS Saturday the 23rd at 7 am. So… if he doesn’t this time, then I’m not even going to deal with him anymore. To many excuses. Since he was suppose to show up Monday evening with a guy to give us an estimate on hauling the dirt away from when they dig down to make the driveway thick enough. So we shall see. I hope it’s not another Saturday well wasted!

Catch you guys later.

Sue…
  • Ok Ladies, I know I do not post nearly enough, but with the ever so pressing rigamaroll of life it is often hard to remember to come here for more than weekly weigh in and now the 12 week challenge....yep I am so doing it come he*& or highwater!

I am much more in control of my weight now that I have learned to start accepting my curves. Curves are a good thing after all, who wants to be a rail? Yep those are sexy to hug, unless your body was designed as a mesomorph, its not attractive at all!

So, I have decided to stick with my ultimate goal of 135 as according to myvirtualmodel.com I will still have curves in all the right places. And that is more what I want than anything, to be healthy and sexy...not that I am hideous now, but to feel great about my body matching what I see in my mind.

Anyhoot....just thought I would drop by and let y'all know I am still alive and kickin'!
  • Adasiyan/Stefanie, I don't know if you still read, but this one's for you:

Happy Birthday to YOU!
    Happy Birthday to YOU!
    Happy Birthday, dear Stephanie!
    Happy Birthday to YOU!!!
    Hope you had a wonderful day!
  • I saw a report on a guy who started dieting and exercise after heart surgery. He was on the Dean Ornish heart reversal diet for a while and kept plateauing. He now does a 3 1/2 day diet. 3 and a half days a week he fasts at around 1200, and then the other 3 1/2, he ramps up the calories over 2000 to ramp up his internal fat burner. It sounded fascinating, and I've had repeated problems with plateaus, so I think the next one I hit, I'm going to try it.
  • Hi everyone,

I have to say that I am kind of sad that some people didn't feel welcome on this thread or that they didn't connect. I hope that the new thread they started for the OLD Hens is what they need and it will be good for them. I will miss them all very much.

To anyone who is staying, Thank you . I truly enjoy the posts here and I really feel like a member of a family here. I hope that you all do too. I get so much information out of your posts and I feel like I have so many friends that I care so much about.

Catherine: good luck with the revamp diet. Let us know how it works out for you.

I have been feeling sooooo tired lately. I don't know why but I am exhausted. I finally have an appointment with my Dr. tomorrow a.m. I do have a problem with my potassium level staying high enough so maybe that is the problem. I sure hope she can help because I just want to sleep. I see in the past posts that many of you have been experiencing the same things. Did any of you get any better and if you did, what helped?

Blessings to everyone,
    Dogpal
  • Dogpal-you don't have to worry about losing me, I post anywhere that folks will have me. The low energy thing put me into a 18 month plateau after I lost my first 80 pounds. I still truefully believe that an accident broke it. I ran out of vitamins, and when I went to get some, the store was out of my woman's vitamins. I had to get active adult. Back then, using a wheelchair, shoping was exhausting, so going to another store was not an option. Within days of starting them, I woke up full of energy, and determined to start again. The main difference in the vitamins was the active adult had ginsing and ginko in them plus extra B12. I have been taking those as supplements ever since, and have not experienced another major episode of low energy. I haven't had a funk, a depression, or even an episode of negativity. Of course in the beginning it might have been more fueled by the supplements, and now it is filled with excitment for life. I am a simple woman. If it isn't broke, don't try to fix it. Hope that helps.
  • I still intend to post on both...whenever I feel the urge. Hope no one minds if this "old hen" still hangs out here too!
  • The "old hens" are usually the ones with the best advice--of COURSE we don't mind some sticking around! The "old hens" lived through more of this dieting roller coaster than I have (I just turned 23 today ), so they have more helpful suggestions and knowledge. I will be sad to see many of them go, as well, but to each her own, I suppose. After all, this should be someplace you feel comfortable, and if you're not getting that here, then by all means, start a new thread
  • I was thinking about starting a thread for ya...but I figured this was better

Happy Birthday Jillybean!!!!

Hope that year rocks and that you get lots of fabulous presents!!
  • I'm still around too! I plan on keeping up with both threads, even if I don't post as often as I used to. There are too many of you "young chickies" that I truly enjoy to bale out completely!

Jillybean:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU,
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU,
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR JILLYBEAN,
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!!
    Hope your day is wonderful and full of surprises!
  • HAPPY BIRTHDAY JILLYBEAN!

Ladies,
    I don't think you'll find anyone "gone". I "fit" better in a slower moving group but I'll stop in here on occassion to toss in my two cents and I'll continue to follow the thread. Please don't feel that an added thread is taking any thing or any one away from 300+.
  • Jill: I'm glad you mentioned it was your birthday. I didn't have it listed on the Birthday Thread, probably because I get most of the birthdays off the Bio's Thread when people post a Bio. Anyway, glad you said something so you could get all your greetings. Hope you have a GREAT day!

Happy Birthday to YOU!
    Happy Birthday to YOU!
    Happy Birthday, dear Jill!
    Happy Birthday to YOU!!!
    Hope you had a wonderful day!

The staying/coming, going/leaving conversation is very interesting. One of the nice things about the 300+ area is that it is just that....an AREA. We are very fortunate that over the years this group has evolved into the entity it is that has received the good fortune of having a whole section devoted just to us. Other groups have A (one) thread. We have tons. Having an Old Hens thread shouldn't be looked at any differently than the Habit Formers, Slim in 6, etc. There are quite a few that post on some of the other threads that hardly ever peak in here. Perhaps they read, but rarely post.

Please don't take the start of the new sub-group as an insult to anyone that posts here.

• Big happy for me here. I am so happy that you guys are leaving us lilion and Catherine, J-anne and Doxiemom.

Catherine: Thank you so much for telling me about the vitamins. I just started taking them the other day because I feel so low in energy. I will look into Ginko and Ginsing. I don't know anything about either. For that matter, I don't know about any vitamins except I heard that B12 adds energy so in addition to taking a Centrum I take an extra B12.

Happy Birthday JillyBean You are so sweet and beautiful. I love your picture with your niece. You have such a wonderful smile! Hope this birthday out does every other birthday ever!

Blessings,
    Dogpal

• Oh ya, I had weigh in today and lost another 2 pounds. That is 30 for me since coming here the first part of May. Thank you so much for all of your support!

Blessings,
    Dogpal