Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 08:54 AM   #1  

Default Questions about Diet Pills

I am going to the doctor today to discuss my weightloss. I have always been quite overweight, this spring I got back to 190 but then put it all back on. I am thinking about asking him about being put on a diet aid. Either something that controls my binging or will help me lose weight. I have been researching a bit and Meridia looks promising, I am not that familar with diet pills. Is anyone on them? Can you give me some advice
Old 06-15-2005, 12:15 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Meridia is an appetite suppressant, and a lot of people who take Meridia gain weight back when they stop taking it, because they feel hungry again and eat more. I don't recommend prescription diet aids at ALL. Not only are they not a "lifestyle change" but your body has to metabolize any drugs that you put in your system-so I only take something if it is absolutely necessary. Your kidneys and liver are affected every time you take a drug, even a Tylenol. I also do not recommend prescription products such as Xenical, because they have some pretty ugly side effects. Under no circumstances would I take anything from the store either-because there are too many health risks.

I would recommend instead, making small changes that you can incorporate into your lifestyle-permanent, doable changes. If you drink sugar in your coffee or tea, or drink a couple sodas a day...start by replacing the sodas with water or an occasional diet soda to remove those extra calories...switch to Splenda for your coffee or tea, or drink them plain.

If you are inactive, then start exercising 2-3 times a week to start. If you do no exercise, then start small. Walk inside the mall, on a local walkway, around your neighborhood, or on the treadmill for 20 minutes 2 or 3 times a week. When you have made exercise a "habit" then lengthen your workout to 30 minutes, or add an extra day in there.

If you often eat unhealthy snacks in the afternoon or evening, have a piece of fruit for your snack instead. It is less caloric, and more nutritious.

These obviously are just a couple examples of things that you can do to start heading down the path towards a healthier life and body.

I do not know anyone who has lost weight and KEPT it off with diet pills. To lose weight and keep it off for life, you have to make small changes towards a healthier lifestyle-things that you can keep doing for life.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:27 PM   #3  

I'm 100+lbs overwieght so my doctor finally suggested I use Phetermine and gave me a prescription for it. She would only do it after I proved to her I was on Weight Watchers and she decided to trust my word that I was exercising. She also gave me a stern warning that they were addictive, would lose their effectiveness, and she would only let me have 30 days worth. After that, I'd have to be off pills for 30 days and maintain or increase weight loss before I'd get another 30 day supply. I could only be on them a maximum of 6 months. I'd also have to get a blood pressure monitor or have easy access to one since these pills will elevate your BP.

Sounded like a good plan to me.

I started them on 6/20 and tried it for 4 days. On day one I was hyper-dyper & in love with the world for the first 4 hours, no appetite and I was quite disinterested in food alltogether. I wondered if this was how thin people felt all day. By the 7th hour the effects wore off and I felt fine....no hanover....but disappointed that the euphoria wasn't lasting longer. Uh oh...bad sign and that was just day one.

After the 4th day I realized the effects weren't as strong, but I had broken a couple of bad habits regarding eating at my desk and smaller portion sizes weren't freaking me out anymore. I haven't used the pills after that 4th day, have continued to watch my portions and sticking to my Weight Watchers points very very carefully. I ruptured my achilles tendon on 6/6 (overweight, 40ish female, didn't warm up properly...classic story), so I have to be creative with exercise - but I do it. I've dropped 10 pounds since 6/20 (it's 7/12 now) and feel very motivated.

I still have 26 pills and I suppose they are my crutch for really bad days when I know I'll binge, but I haven't been tempted enough to use them.

Phentermine gave me a kick start. If you get them, please please please be careful and be brutally honest with yourself and your doctor. NEVER use them without involving your doctor.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:14 PM   #4  
prepare for the BEST time

Meridia has worked well for me and helps me to control HOW MUCH food I want. I no longer feel like a shark.....cruising from meal to snack to meal to the fridge, cupboard, "tasting" everything in site. I can eat a normal size portion and really say, no thanks, I'm full. I don't get *excited* about chocolate anymore, I can take it or leave it.

I'm also taking Xenical with higher fat content meals. I've lost about 22 or 24 lbs. since January 15, 2005, started the Meridia in March.

A plus for me is that Meridia seems to have a mild anti-depressant effect. I feel GOOD which helps me to control what I eat and not eat.

Certain drugs work differently on people. The decision to use pharmaceuticals to help you lose is a personal one, the only person who can diagnose you accurately and help you decide is your PHYSICIAN who has your full medical history.

It's good to exchange info. and get other people's OPINIONS, but ultimately, medical treatment should help determine the best way for you to manage your health.
Closed Thread