Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-04-2005, 06:28 PM   #1  
Maria-Paz

Default 40 Something Chicks

Hello everybody,

I am trying to set a group for Moms or women without children over the age of 40. I am 41 and I have 3 children, 16, 8, 4. I am trying to lose 30 lbs working out on my spare time, taking care of my children and daycare. I am a Pilates Instructor and do a lot of Power Yoga, treadmill, weights, etc. I am also doing the Self Challenge where I have found a lot of info and greats recipes. Is anybody else interested in joining me?
Danicomia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 07:04 PM   #2  

Hi, Danicoma. I'm also 40-something, with a teenager and a 20-yr-old. Right now I'm a SAHM, but now that the kids are older, I'm planning to start looking for work soon, hopefully something tech-related.

I need to lose at least 50 pounds, maybe more. I don't have an exact goal, because I'm not sure how much I really should weigh at this age. I know what my ideal weight was in my 20's, but I'm not sure how realistic it is to shoot for that now. Anyhow, if I lose the first 50, I can decide then whether that's enough or not.

I go to step aerobics about twice a week, and three days a week I do other workouts. I walk, or go to the gym, or use my videos. (My favorites are The Firm, but I also have a few others I use from time to time.)

I'm trying to think of this as a lifestyle change instead of a weight-loss regimen, but my biggest fear is getting de-railed after a few weeks and going back to old habits. I'm hoping this time the support will keep me on track.
pegatha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 09:16 PM   #3  
Maria-Paz

Hi Pegatha,

I was also in the Tech Field before I decided to stay home 3 years ago after my 3rd child and only daughter was born. Now I run a daycare and do some ebay aside. I know how difficult it is to focus and workout mostly with dvd's when there is always somebody in the house besides you.
What are your eating habits? I am doing a little of SB and I have gave up sugar and whites.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:36 AM   #4  

My (new) eating habits are: lots of fruits and veggies. Normal portions of normal foods for three meals a day, small snack midafternoon. Cutting waaaay back on refined grains and on cheese (one of my biggest weaknesses). I'm not a full-fledged SB, because I don't have any truly forbidden foods, but I'm learning that an occasional small, planned serving of something fatty or sugary is actually more satisfying than a big binge, as long as I'm getting the right nutrition the rest of the time. After dinner every night I have a tiny piece of chocolate as my signal that I'm done eating for the day. (DH keeps the chocolate box and hides it, at my request, so I'm not tempted to overdo.) And one thing that seems to be making an enormous difference is that I've started replacing my General Foods International Coffees (another huge weakness) with unsweetened decaf green tea. It's still early days, though, so I have a real fear that once I've dropped the first ten pounds, I'll get complacent and stop being so careful. But so far, so good. I'm feeling much better and the numbers on the scale are going down (though I try not to weigh myself too often).

Last edited by pegatha1; 03-05-2005 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-05-2005, 03:40 PM   #5  
Kim

Talking New here

Hi ..I'm Kim...45 yrs old...2 kids...a son ,16 & daughter 14....trying to loose about 30 lbs!!!!

have a great day....
Kim
Kim1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 01:32 PM   #6  
Maria-Paz

Hello everybody,
I got a hand to several Runner's Magazines and I got interesting info. There was a study done to 3 groups of runners for a period of time. First group had just one serving of dairy a day, the second 1,000 mlgs of calcium as supplement, 3rd one at least 3 serving of dairy a day. At the end of the study the 3rd group who had highest dairy intake lost 27% more of weight than the first group and 17% more than the second group. The writers last quote was something like "I will keep enjoying my 3 rasberries yogurt a day"....
Old 03-12-2005, 09:53 AM   #7  
Kim

Thumbs up Good Morning

Hello ladies....hope all is well with everyone.......
have a great weekend!!!!!!!

Kim
Kim1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 10:21 PM   #8  

Smile Hi

Hi,
I'm Lisa, a 42 yr old mom of 3 kids...13, 11 and 9... I am also a widow.
My weight has steadily climbed for the past 3 years since I lost my husband.
I found eating my grief just wasn't the way to go anymore so I started SBD 2 weeks ago.
I've not seen the scale move in a couple of days but am sticking with eating healthy!

I think a supportive group of women my age might be the ticket!
Here's to us!

Lisa
LisaBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 10:34 PM   #9  

Hi, Lisa. I'm fairly new here too. I'm very sorry to hear about your husband. That must be so tough for you & your kids. I'm glad SB seems to be working for you. I'm not on it myself, but it sure seems to help lots of people get control of their eating. Do you also exercise?
Old 03-14-2005, 10:45 PM   #10  

Hi pegatha,
Well...truth be told, the only exercise I seem to be getting is my chasing the kids at home and at my work (I teach pre Kindergarten). I live in MA and we've had a ton of snow so once the sidewalks are cleared and the weather perks up, I'll be able to resume walking my yellow lab, Willow (who uses my treadmill more than me!) again.

What program are you following?
Lisa
Old 03-15-2005, 06:30 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaBee
What program are you following?
Do you mean eating or exercising?

I'm eating three balanced meals a day with one or two snacks, so it's not really a formal program. However, I've cut back on fats, sugar, and refined flour, and replaced them with lots of raw vegetables and fruit. Once dinner is over, I'm done eating for the day, no bedtime munchies allowed. I don't drink anything with calories or caffeine, except as a special treat. I still have the occasional cookie or cup of hot chocolate, but now it's all about planning and portion control. And the balanced diet seems to eliminate most of my cravings anyway.

As for exercise, I alternate between step aerobics, walking, and using a recumbant bike at the gym or my Gazelle at home.

Hope spring comes soon where you live so you can be back outdoors in the sunshine.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:07 PM   #12  

Well the plateau has been broken. Got on scale this morning to see 1 more lb disposed of!
Made a custard this evening with 1% milk, 3 eggs, vanilla, splenda and nutmeg/cinnamon...smells great and have it chilling in the fridge for tomorrow's breakfast.

Lisa
Old 03-17-2005, 08:11 AM   #13  

Happy St. Patrick's Day to all

So, last night I made this great smelling and yummy tasting custard!

3 eggs
1/3 c splenda
2 1/4 cups 1% milk
tsp vanilla
nutmeg
cinnamon

bake 350 for 50 mins in a glass 8x8 dish or 45 mins in 6 0z custard cups sitting in water.

OMG it is soooo yummy! I had it for breakfast this morning. I disposed of another lb this morning too and feeling pretty good about it!

Time to go to work and play with my students. Leprechaun visits today and we are doing "Green" Day and playing with green colored shaving cream. I may dye the milk green and serve that for snack today too!

Lisa