Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 05:09 PM   #1  
192/192/150

Default Adipex vs Meredia?

Anyone have any information on these two prescription drugs or which one would be best?
Old 09-01-2004, 05:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

I actually use both of them I do 3 months meridia 3 months phentermine (adipex) they work well for me but I also watch what I eat and exercise quite a bit. I recommend doing a lot of research on the drugs themselves because they aren't for everyone and I definately recommend making a run of the weight loss journey without any meds to start and if you have a hard time losing then talk to your doctor about it and weigh out the pros and cons. I would also like to take this opportunity to tell people not to order drugs off the internet, I definately recommend talking to your primary doctor about any medications
Old 09-01-2004, 05:31 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I took meredia for a short while. I am a normally very healthy person, good low blood pressure, low cholesterol, etc etc. I am not sure what the danger of Meredia was, I believe either stroke or heart attack and an indication was your blood pressure. Well after take Meredia for a month, my blood pressure went from 100/60 to something like 150/90. My doctor told me that I couldn't take it any more. I didn't lose any weight either.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:16 PM   #4  

Nelie you are a perfect example of why people need to coordinate with their doctors when using weight loss medications. I personally have lost a total of 40 lbs with the help of meds, diet and exercise in the last 5 months way to go on your success so far nelie Bravo!!
Old 09-01-2004, 06:34 PM   #5  
Uber-Moderator!!

What Michelle said!

I can't stress enough - you need to speak to your PRIMARY CARE PHYSICIAN and have him or her prescribe these drugs and monitor you while you're taking them, if you choose to do so.

I responded just this morning on a similar post regarding a prescription med in Diet Plans that you can read here...

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45974

Bottom line is - these pills might give you a head start if you have a significant amount of weight to lose...but from EVERYTHING I've read the effects - and for many people, the results - are VERY temporary (in fact the same thing applies to very-low-calorie liquid diets such as Optifast - which I used in a study back in 1990 - lost and kept off my weight but I was one of the VERY, VERY few - maybe 3-5% of the over 1,000 study participants who PAID to be in the study - who kept the weight off after 18 months). The hard work of exercise, eating right and making healthy lifestyle changes is up to you!
Old 11-10-2004, 01:16 AM   #6  

Question obtaining meridia

What if your doctor refuses to even talk about a prescrition for weight loss and you are stuck in an HMO. Do you think the online services really send meridia or do you think that is just a sugar pill? I am a hundred pounds overweight.
Appreciate your time
Marie
Old 11-10-2004, 05:29 AM   #7  
Meg

Marie - welcome to 3FC!

I think it would be much better to switch to a new doctor in your HMO than to self-treat yourself with any kind of medication. There might be good health reasons why your doctor doesn't want you to take those meds - only he/she knows your health history. I've also read that frequently the meds sold over the Internet are counterfeit, so you'd be wasting your money and possibly endangering your health (who knows what's in them?)

Believe me, I know the helpless and hopeless feeling of being 100 pounds overweight! My good friend Karen (MrsJim), who posted before you on this thread, says that having to lose 100+ pounds is like me handing you a cup and a teaspoon and telling you to move a mountain. It's overwhelming and seems impossible! But Karen and I and so many people here can tell you - it IS possible to lose 100 pounds without surgery or drugs. One day at a time, one spoonful of that mountain at a time, and you'll get there.

Poke around the different forums here and feel free to jump into one that suits you. I think you'll find a whole lot of incredibly motivated and kind people here to offer you all the support and encouragement you need to lose those 100 pounds. We're glad you're here!
Old 11-10-2004, 10:16 AM   #8  

Marie, just like Meg said you should definately speak with a doctor about getting meds, it is very important because all of these drugs have interactions and side effects and one of them can affect you. I stopped taking my meds last month to see if I could maintain or lose without them, I did maintain but didn't lose so my doctor put me back on them, and finally my stall out is moving again. I also think it is very important that if you are going to go the medication route that you don't do all of your weight loss journey on meds, I discussed this with my doctor and we both agreed that once I'm no longer in the severly obese category I will go off meds and lose the rest of the weight on my own

Good luck to you and I hope you love it here!
Michelle
Closed Thread