Anyone on Effexor?

• I have severe depressive PMS symptoms, and due to my inability to tolerate regular PMS medications (such as Serafem or birth control pills), my doctor wants me to be on Effexor. Has anyone been on this? If so, have you had serious side effects? Weight gain? I am afraid to try medications, as I usually don't tolerate them well.
  • I don't know what happened to my first post, but it didn't get in. So I'll try again. I took Effexor briefly a few years ago in hopes it would stop me putting on weight. Did nothing for the weight loss or depression. It did cause my blood pressure to go up so I had to stop taking it. It also caused permanent changes in my dreams and heinous withdrawal symptoms ("brain shivers"). I would never touch the stuff again. It is usually prescribed to people who get no benefit from other antidepressants and some people swear by it. I would recommend going to the boards on WebMD where there is discussion of treatment and drugs for depression. Incidentally, SeraFem is just a form of Prozac, so if you couldn't tolerate that, you probably won't tolerate Effexor. Good luck in whatever you choose to do.