Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-24-2004, 04:49 PM   #1  
Meg

Default Ten Rules Of Keeping Weight Off Forever

I haven't read it yet, but a friend told me that the August issue of O Magazine is an excellent one, with lots of articles about food and weight-loss. She sent me the following Ten Rules Of Keeping Weight Off Forever from that issue and I want to pass them along for your comments:

Quote:
The 10 Rules of Keeping Weight Off Forever

1. Always eat breakfast.

2. Move.

3. Read labels.

4. Keep track.

5. Plan for the rough patches.

6. Start small after a slip.

7. The more consistent, the better.

8. Make special occasions count.

9. Don't wait to get a life.

10. Know it will get easier.
What do you all think? Do you agree with these rules? Can you think of any that aren't included?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 09:13 PM   #2  
Mel

I either don't understand this or disagree. I think you need to get back on the horse that threw you. Why run backwards if it was only a slip?

10. Know that it will get easier.

WHEN?
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 10:48 PM   #3  
Tig
Gotta RUN!

#10 is wrong. Maybe it gets easier for everybody else in the world, but at our house, we have to be ever vigilant.

My substitution:
10. You are not alone.
Tig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 11:06 PM   #4  
Searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tig
#10 is wrong. Maybe it gets easier for everybody else in the world, but at our house, we have to be ever vigilant.

My substitution:
10. You are not alone.
Amen Tig. The other one is for me concerning #6 We don't shoot ourselves or our wounded.

Chris
rochemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 11:07 PM   #5  

Hmmm, number #10 ... I think what they mean is that it IS easier to eat right and exercise once you get in the habit of it, I don't think they meant that you could slack off after you lost the weight
goeatanapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 07:36 AM   #6  
Tig
Gotta RUN!

My substitution.

6. When you slip (and know this: everybody does) - laugh, pick your sorry self up and get back on. If I slip, laugh with me and help me get back up.

A little side note - when I physically wobble or fall, I see such looks of concern on the faces around me. My prayer is for them not to be concerned for me, but for them to delight in the fact that I get back up and keep going. That's the attitude I'd like to share when we all slip because it's the pity part, especially the self-pity part, that is so defeating.
Tig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 09:50 AM   #7  
Uber-Moderator!!

Now you guys! I've said it DOES get easier. Really...it does! Of course, you'll have moments in time where you'll slip...but with time, those healthy habits become ingrained.

What this reminds me of was when I first started riding (I mean REALLY riding - not the stuff I did when I was a kid which was basically sitting in a Western saddle on a rental horse). This was back in 2001, and I was thinking I'd NEVER be able to post the trot correctly...now it's second nature.

Practice...practice makes perfect. Practice those healthy things - make an effort to do them every time - read labels, eat breakfast, working out regularly - and before you know it, it will become second nature and part of your normal routine. REALLY!

PS - one tip that's helped me - keeping a personal journal!
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 11:35 AM   #8  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

The 10 Rules of Keeping Weight Off Forever

1. Always eat breakfast.
Breakfast doesn't always mean 7 am, it could be 9 - 10 or 11.
If your not a breakfast person like me, I believe even a glass of milk is better than nothing.

2. Move.
This one I think is one of the MOST important, regardless if you are maintaining, losing or gaining. Its one of the best things you can do for your body and a great habbit to have.

3. Read labels.
Yes, reading labels is very important, with all the funky and damaging stuff thats in foods today, its only a service you are doing for yourself by reading.

4. Keep track.
Of course, how else will you know what your doing, its soooooooo easy to get off track and its so easy to add extra calories each day w/out knowing your doing it. Very important.

5. Plan for the rough patches.
When possible, I find that every day is a rough patch. Learning to deal with the ones that sneak up on you day after day is the real challenge.

No.....start big, go right back on as you were the day b/4 your slip up. Unless the slip is several weeks or months, then you should start again w/baby steps.

7. The more consistent, the better.
Yes, consistancy wins. Also persistance not perfection.

8. Make special occasions count.
This would depend. Since there are SO many special occasions I would say make 97% of them count and ONLY the REALLLLLLY special ones don't worry about

9. Don't wait to get a life.
Right, its a vicious cycle. Starting now can only better your life.

10. Know it will get easier.
It does to a degree, meaning knowing what you need to do, what kinds of foods you need to eat, and what you need to stay away from, what exercise works for you, it comes natural after a while and you don't have to really think about it. Staying OP is a hard thing, I don't think its ever easy to turn down foods you love (for lack of a better way of putting it).

JMHO
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 12:32 PM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

11. Quit procrastinating, making excuses, etc..."I'll start: Monday, after my vacation, after the holidays ..." A good healthy meal is only 2-3 hours away...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 02:29 PM   #10  

Default and...

#11 get support: from people going through the same thing. they know where you've been, how you feel, where you're going and have a lot of advice and support on how to get there. like uhhhh....these forums.
i know if some people in my life told me to do or not to do something i would react like they were nagging but from others the same advice sounds more like support and encouragement. so pick wisely.

gen
gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 08:02 AM   #11  
Running Babe

As an attachment to number 6, figure out what made you/what is making you slip (if it's an on-going problem, it took me a long time to finally sit down and figure out what really was going on with my weight gain <byond the binging too frequently). Figure out stratagies to help either reduce or get rid of those slips.

although tweaking your eating style can sometimes help, don't do it in any way which you cannot stick with for life.

Illene: I'll follow yours starting next Monday Just kidding... It's so true, the best time to start is right now!

Cheers!

Ali
Sweater Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 02:33 PM   #12  
wife2abadge

Height: 5'4"

I think what #6 meant is don't tell yourself that since you slipped today, you will starve tomorrow or walk 10 miles or something.

As far as #10, it doesn't feel as though it gets easier, but that's what most of the people with the National Weight Registry say...
wife2abadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 08:06 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatsby

#11 get support: from people going through the same thing. they know where you've been, how you feel, where you're going and have a lot of advice and support on how to get there. like uhhhh....these forums.
i know if some people in my life told me to do or not to do something i would react like they were nagging but from others the same advice sounds more like support and encouragement. so pick wisely.

gen
I strongly believe that, if there's any "secret" to weightloss it's SUPPORT!!!!
goeatanapple is offline   Reply With Quote