Big Easy Shrimp

• Hello

A few folks asked that I post this recipe -- it is absolutely delicious! I suggest you serve it over the cauliflower mashed potatoes !

Big Easy Shrimp

If you like, you can substitute scalloprs for the shrimp.

2 strips turkey bacon or Canadian bacon
    1 onion, chopped
    1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
    1 rib celery, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 can (16 oz) chopped tomatoes
    1 bay leaf
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 teaspoon hot-pepper sauce
    1 pound medium shrimp, peeled an deveined

Cook the bacon in a large skiller over medium heat until crisp. Place on a paper towel lined plate to drain. Crumble when cool. Remove and discard all but 1 tablespoon drippings from the skillet.

In the hot drippings over medium heat, cooko the onion, bell pepper and celery for 5 minutes, or until tender. Stir in the garlic and cool for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes (with juice), bay leaf, black pepper, heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the shrimp and bacon and cook for 10 minutes, or until the shrimp are opaque. Remove and discard the bay leaf before serving.

Makes 4 servings

Nutrition, per serving:
    185 calories, 4 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 26 g protein, 12 g carbohydrate, 3 g dietary fiber, 177 mg cholesterol, 329 mg sodium
  • I made this last night and DH and I loved it. It was pretty simple to make with frozen shrimp and it had a little spice to it. I read through it twice and I couldn't find where it said to add the Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce, so I put them in with the tomatoes.