Things I Know Now........

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • Quote: Jiff - I was going to post but all the 'good' reasons have been tooken! Darn!
    C'mon, surely you have more to add???? I read your posts all over the place -- you've got to have some personal perspective to impart?? *nudge*
  • Another one: To maintain is a goal itself... it's a tough one. It's accepting that you cannot go back to old habits, it's about picking yourself up after a bad day/week/month/year.. The good habits from weight loss such as planning meals/splurges/workouts still apply.

Cheers!

Ali
  • I've learned that there is no "diet" that works. To be successful, you must be committed to a lifelong change.

I've also learned that no matter how you look, someone will complain about it. Thus, the importance of the words "bite me".
  • Quote:
    I've also learned that no matter how you look, someone will complain about it. Thus, the importance of the words "bite me".

There's a corollary to that ... no matter how successful you are at losing the weight, someone will feel the need to tell you that you've done it ALL WRONG!

I mean, seriously, I've lost (and kept off) more than 120 pounds and (usually overweight) people will earnestly and sincerely tell me that what I do isn't healthy and "won't work" (according to the latest diet du jour). C'mon, people, reality check!

I'm going to adopt your "bite me" as my new response!
  • Amen to that, Meg!

I actually said that to a really good friend of mine one time as she was lecturing me on my weight loss. She just blinked at me and said "too many calories"
  • I get the same thing too.. Pfooey on them!! They can eat flies for all I care.

I think there is a bit of jealousy there to be honest with ya...It's silly because they can do the same thing we did... Doesn't make sense.
  • Quote:

There's a corollary to that ... no matter how successful you are at losing the weight, someone will feel the need to tell you that you've done it ALL WRONG!

I mean, seriously, I've lost (and kept off) more than 120 pounds and (usually overweight) people will earnestly and sincerely tell me that what I do isn't healthy and "won't work"
    oh. that is so true. My editor at work is the 'world's bigget expert on everything', especially healthy eating (this being the man who eats a pastie, sandwhich, bag of crisps and a chocolate bar for his lunch every day)

The other day I had a green salad and bag of low fat crisps for my lunch, and I got a lecture about how ALL low fat things were bad for you.

Now I had closely examined the nutritional content of these crisps, and they are the lowest you can get in fat/sodium/carbs/calories. And they were a damn Friday lunch treat.

As he is my boss, I just firmly said 'these are fine' but I wanted to get in his face and shout 'I've lost 51 pounds since March, I think I can make a decision about if these crisps are ok'

Arrrrgh, I wouldnt mind, but my boyfriend is a trained food scientist, so if I need advice, I get it from him as it's what he does for a living.

Phew, I needed that rant (sorry!)
  • Oh, go on and rant, Katey! Where else will you find a group of people who understand exactly how you feel? Especially when it's your boss!!

And congratulations on the 51 pounds lost!