Old 04-26-2004, 09:34 AM   #16  

Default "THE CAPTAIN'S PARROT"

"The Captain's Parrot"

A magician worked on a cruise ship in the Caribbean.
The audience was different each week, so the
magician allowed himself to do the same tricks over
and over again.

There was only one problem: the captain's parrot saw
the shows each week and began to understand how the
magician did every trick. Once he understood, the
parrot started shouting in the middle of the show,
"Look, it's not the same hat!" or "He's hiding the
flowers under the table!" and "Hey, why are all
those cards the ace of spades?"

The magician was furious but couldn't do anything.
It was, after all, the captain's parrot.

One day the ship had an accident and sank. The
magician found himself on a piece of wood in the
middle of the sea with, as fate would have it, the
parrot.

They stared at each other with hatred, but did not
utter a word.

This went on for a day, then another.

Finally the parrot couldn't hold back any longer and
squalked, "OK, I give up? What'd you do with the
ship?"
willow_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 10:10 AM   #17  

Default "THE CAPTAIN'S PARROT"

"The Captain's Parrot"

A magician worked on a cruise ship in the Caribbean.
The audience was different each week, so the
magician allowed himself to do the same tricks over
and over again.

There was only one problem: the captain's parrot saw
the shows each week and began to understand how the
magician did every trick. Once he understood, the
parrot started shouting in the middle of the show,
"Look, it's not the same hat!" or "He's hiding the
flowers under the table!" and "Hey, why are all
those cards the ace of spades?"

The magician was furious but couldn't do anything.
It was, after all, the captain's parrot.

One day the ship had an accident and sank. The
magician found himself on a piece of wood in the
middle of the sea with, as fate would have it, the
parrot.

They stared at each other with hatred, but did not
utter a word.

This went on for a day, then another.

Finally the parrot couldn't hold back any longer and
squalked, "OK, I give up? What'd you do with the
ship?"
Old 04-26-2004, 11:57 AM   #18  

Hi everyone...not going to take up time to color, or etc...short on time. (of course) Son is doing well...most of the time. He's really hurting. He's thinking of selling his horses (2) as, we really don't have room for them. We haven't said anything, but, he knows, of course. I hope he doesn't, because he loves them so much. Really....it's the only earthly thing he owns of his own..other than the girls.

I'm doing alright. Started taking my Methotrexate by self-injection Thursday night. It wasn't so bad. I'm not afraid of needles...just had to get used to injecting myself. The only bad part of the treatments, is the cathedar being larger than my veins. It's my own stubbornness of not getting a port, or it would be easier. I'm just afraid it would irritate me. Everything that comes in contact with my skin irritates the life out of me.

The house is going a little faster now. Got 9 of the new windows put in. Moved some of the remaining furniture we had in the shed up here. Damaged, but usable until we can do better. Wouldn't really want good stuff in here until the house is finished, anyway. Hey, we traded out rooms. The make-kitchen is in the spare bedroom, now....& we are using our own bedroom for the first time in 1 1/2 yrs! (I AM a little naughty sometimes.. )

Sheila...go glad you're doing better. Been praying for you. Take care of yourself. Hope your son recovers his car.

Willow...I really enjoyed the "Woman Should Have" Thingy! Also, the joke...loved it!! Don't worry about the shots...I'm ok with them. It's nothing compared to the worries of RA & OA. But, that could be worse, also.

Bluet...I miss being able to post, also. But, I DO come in quickly each day & read all of yours. So, please don't stop sending me messages...I need them. I'm a lot like you. I enjoy medical stuff. I have a whole bunch of nursing books (survived the fire & theft!) that I read a lot. My Drs have found out that I study a lot, so they're very careful what they tell me.

Jacquie...I hope your infection gets better.

Fatpuss...I guess I just missed where you answered me about the cats. Just the way my mind is these days. Lost more weight! Good for you! Wish I could go to Spain with you! Hope you have a great time.

Gotta go....hope all are well & have a great week! Gonna try to put a few pics in of my new door, windows, etc....ok,ok, I'm REALLY PROUD of my new door!

Last edited by Angel-lover; 04-26-2004 at 09:57 PM.
Angel-lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 04:44 PM   #19  

Hello Ladies,

Hope your weekend was a good one. DH and I were very busy. It was our 40th wedding anniversary. The children all attended church with us, then we all went out for brunch together on Sunday. Then everyone came over to our house for a few hours. It was so good to see everyone and all the grandchildren.

Willow, I am sorry I didn't get back to you with an answer about the hip replacement surgery. No, I am not the one who had that type of surgery. I know a few people who have had it. After they get the surgery, they said "Why didn't I have this sooner, the pain is gone." But I have never had it done. My hips are pretty good yet for an old person.

It was cold and miserable here again this weekend, and again today.

Take care all...

Bluet
Bluet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 04:56 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Wow, Charlotte, what a great feeling it must be to be back in your bedroom after almost 2 years. I'm glad the work is going faster. Hey, is there a neighboring place where your son could keep his horses in exchange for doing some work? I imagine paying boarding fees would be out of the question, but some kind of exchange might work. If I had acreage and lived near you, I'd do it--be a great way to get some stuff done around the place for someone who doesn't have time or the ability. Glad the injections aren't too bad, although any injection is no picnic.

Willow, loved the joke and the "Woman" thing. Glad you're able to get out in the pool and do some activity.

I finally made it all the way up the street, and then around the block. I'm going to try it again in a minute with my DH and without my older dog. She's like me and gets tired as the day wears on so she'll be even slower than this morning. I plan to go back to aerobics in a week, and hopefully back to the gym for weight lifting the week after.

What a beautiful day here! It's supposed to be around 80, though, which is too hot. But this morning when I was walking, the birds were singing and with all the flowers blooming and the blue sky and water, it was absolutely fabulous. Rain tomorrow, but that means we won't have to buy water for the front yard!

My Dad brought up the subject of the neighbor's shed on his property and the neighbor's tree on his property again. He seems to bring it up about every two months, and then get all bent out of shape, which irritates the heck out of me. My DH took photos of the shed (which does appear to be on his property) and the tree (which doesn't appear to be on his property). I told my Dad if he wanted to do something, then get the property surveyed and do something, but all he says is, "I did have it surveyed." Yeah, many years ago. My DH is going out of town next week, and I really hope that my Dad doesn't go into the shed and tree thing again. I just might commit patricide. Luckily, my Dad doesn't stay mad too long because he doesn't remember that he's mad. Whew! And this time I have the photos to back up the tree not being on his property.

Hope everyone is having a fantastic Monday!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 09:47 PM   #21  

Hi....

I'm having a lot of trouble on this board. Most of the time when I click to reply, or go somewhere, I get the page of "Can't find page". I posted the last message with 5 pics. Thought I'd lost it all, because I got that message. Then, checked the board, & sure enough...no post. Then, got home tonight, & there it is! Only no pics! I wonder if I'm the only one having this problem. It only started since they changed servers, or whatever. I emailed to have it checked out.

Gonna try to send the pics again. Like I said....YES...I like my new door! The lower part of the windows open out...inside the house....for cleaning!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg housefront.jpg (43.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg closeup.jpg (36.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg newdoor&me.jpg (39.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg porchfront.jpg (42.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg mydoor&me.jpg (48.9 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by Angel-lover; 04-26-2004 at 10:17 PM.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:27 PM   #22  

Default Hello Friends

Charlotte, I haven't had any problems posting, but it is just as slow as ever when you first get to the site.
Nice pics! You sex pot you! Cute cartoon too when you were telling about you and the mister finally getting your bedroom back.

Sheila, I'm glad you're feeling better. Your walk sounded so nice. I'm hoping I'll be able to do that again some day.
LOL!! Dad is too cute! At least he remembers about the shed and the tree on his property line. He's consistent anyway.

Bonnie, belated Happy 40th anniversary to you and your hubby. You must be doing SOMETHING right lady! I bet it WAS nice to have the whole family together again.

I talked with a woman I work with, (only she's still on nights and I went to days a couple of years ago) and she had both hips replaced. She said it was painful as **** at first, but nothing like it had been BEFORE the surgery. She said she doesn't have any pain now. She also said that the Dr told her that these hips will last for 25 years as long as she doesn't do anything drastic to ruin them. He told her she could do whatever she had done before the surgery. She's 65 so he said she most likely won't ever have to have them replaced again.

Hi Puss and Jacquie and everyone else reading.

Well, I finally saw the surgeon today.
He said my hip is deteriorating, but because of my age he wants to hold off on surgery as long as possible. He said there IS a labral tear but that is part of the deterioration and he wouldn't operate just to try to repair the labral tear because there is so much other stuff in there.
He also thinks the lumps in my thigh are fatty tumors.
He said I should continue with the pool therapy but doesn't think the other kind of physical therapy would be a good idea right now.
He said I should keep weight off the hip as much as I can until I get some weight off, and he has set up an appointment for me to go to the nutritian clinic they have there. The soonest he could get me in is the 24th of May. I thought it was nice of him when I said what a hard time I have sticking with a diet on my own and he said,"Yes, it's always easy to talk about it, but it's another thing to actually do it." A big difference from the sleep apnea DR who told me I didn't need a dietitian because I had lost weight before so I could do it again and if it hurts to walk on cement, then walk in your living room.
He said the pain I'm having in my knee is caused from the way I walk because of the hip. No surprise there.

He also changed me to a different anti-inflammatory.

The weather was nice and sunny here this morning, but in the afternoon got cloudy and cool with a few sprinkles. It was 27 this morning!!
Tomorrow it's suppose to be in the 80's, but the rest of the week is suppose to be cold and rainy.

I need to shampoo my carpets, but, I need to be in the mood for it.

Guess I'll go get into some comfortable clothes.
Have a good evening everybody.
Old 04-28-2004, 04:39 PM   #23  

Talking

Boy, I had a hard time getting to this place--don't know if it's 3FC or my internet or what.

Charlotte, your house is so cool! I've always wanted to live in a house like that--you're so lucky. What year was it built? The door is fabulous--and I like your Vanna White moves, too! I can see why you're so proud of that door.

Willow, I have only heard good things about replacements of any type, but I'm glad that your doctor is waiting. Surgery is the pits, and maybe an alternative will surface. I'm glad that you've found a decent doctor, and that he's helping you work on the weight issue rather than just saying "do it." People who haven't been overweight just don't know how hard it is to overcome all the stuff we have surrounding food. Brr--27 degrees! I hope you haven't planted any veggies yet. I've been worried about our tomatoes, but they seem to be coming along without any covering at night.

Bluet--congratulations on your 40th wedding anniversary! What a milestone! How nice that your family was able to celebrate with you.

Well, I finally took photos of the finished front yard. Everything needs to grow in obviously, but it looks pretty good. We're getting some mulch this weekend because I don't want the weeds and grass to start popping up.

I keep waiting to feel 100%, but keep having abdominal pain. Since it's only been a week, I guess I shouldn't complain. After all, they did cut me open and remove an organ, a rather useless organ, but an organ nonetheless. So I wonder what happens to the space where the appendix used to be. I'm hoping my bladder will expand into it and I won't have to get up at night anymore.

Hi to everyone else--hope to see you soon!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frontyard1.jpg (33.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg frontyard2.jpg (26.6 KB, 31 views)
Old 04-28-2004, 08:57 PM   #24  

Hello friends,

Sheila....I had a hard time getting to post a couple of days ago. I made this reaaalllyy long post, & clicked....lost it all...& couldn't even get back in.
What a beautiful yard! You've put a lot of work (& looks like money!) into it! That would be a beautiful place for your daughter's wedding! You can rent a fountain....or build in a small rock-stream. They're beautiful...I saw one put in on TV. Oh, what a great place for a wedding...& wouldn't have to rent!
Thanks for the compliments on my house. It IS very old. That's what attracted it to us. We've lived in very nice houses...all kinds, really. But, we saw this house on a Sunday drive one day & instantly fell in love. We went to the neighbor's to find out about it....they had bought it after the elderly lady owning it had passed away. They said it was full of antiques. If we found anything after we bought it, we could have it. Up very high in a closet we found a very old wind-up train set in the original box....papers & all! Unfortunately, it was stolen in the storage.
The house is well over 100 years old, & is a "landmark" in the community. Known as the Clyde Petree place. Clyde Petree owned most of the stores, etc, in Belgreen (small community we live in). Was well known for miles around. We DO live in the country! This house was wanted by several people...but, owners said they instantly liked us, & wanted us to be there neighbors. They financed it, & have been the best neighbors in the world! We wanted to remodel, & were in the process of it, when the fire happen. So, we're going ahead with our plans. The front of the house, above the porch, there's two small windows. They were broken out by the firemen. (I put in fakes) We're going to raise the roof to the attic, put in bedrooms, & there will be french doors coming out to a balcony. I've taken more pics. Will put them in soon. I think it will be pretty when we're finished with it. Now......if I could get your yard over here!
Hope you're feeling better. Don't rush the healing. Let nature take it's course.

Well, Willow.....If you're looking for points with this (soon to be)senior citizen...you got'em! I've NEVER been called a SEXPOT in my life! Felt good! Now...put your glasses back on hon....& don't go back & look at me with them on.
I DO hope your hip gets better. I've heard a lot of good things about replacement surgery also.
Have you heard any more from that woman that was bothering you? I hope that has ended.

Bluet...HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!! 40 YEARS!! That's great! DH & I will be married 36 yrs on June 14th.

Fatpuss, & Jacquie...hope you're ok. Hope you're not having trouble posting. Talk to you all later.

*This image reminded me of DH!
Old 04-29-2004, 08:37 AM   #25  

Hi Sheila.....
I didn't answer your question about my son's horses. I don't know if there's anyone around close that he could do that for. But, I'll talk to him about it. Thanks for the idea. You touched me a lot when you said you would let him, if we were close enough. I appreciate the thought so much.

He is a nervous wreck, now that the hearing is so close by. It's May 6th...a week from today. He's having bad dreams....hollering out in his sleep. I wish my son could get some peace of mind. He IS still doing well, otherwise. I may put a pic of him & his girls on later, when I have time. I've got to go for now. Again....thanks.

Last edited by Angel-lover; 04-30-2004 at 12:05 AM.
Old 04-30-2004, 02:32 PM   #26  

Hi, all--

Thanks, Charlotte. The front yard is pretty small, though, with the little patio being only big enough for a bistro table and two small chairs. The backyard, however, would be nice, but not in December! We'd have to give all the guests boots, raincoats and big umbrellas. Hey, I'm crossing my fingers and praying hard that the hearing goes well for your son. He really must be a wreck if he's yelling in his sleep. Poor guy. . .

So where is everyone? Supposedly the switch was supposed to solve problems with getting on the BB, not create them.

Today was my first time in a car since April 21, only this time I was driving. It went okay--not too painful. I had to keep my waxing appointment, you know. Also went to Trader Joe's to stock up, but a lot of my favorites weren't on the shelves, which can be a problem with that store. I was going to go pick up a few things on sale at the chain grocery store nearby, but didn't feel like it when the time came. I'd had enough of my outing, I guess.

My DH is going to be in Boise next week. He's staying with our son and granddaughter so that should be nice. On May 5, he's making a pilgrimage to the place where our friend, Amy, died in 2001 in a rafting accident. We've gone there the last two years--the first year we put flowers in the river and the second year we each took a sip of her favorite beer and then poured the rest of the beer into the river. I'm not sure what he's going to do this year. I kept a Celtic music festival shirt of hers and we have her Irish dance shoes so I suggested taking those up there and playing Celtic music, but my DH didn't seem thrilled with that idea. It was a horrible time for us--my DH made it and so did another woman, but Amy and a guy who my DH used to work with both died.

Anyway, enough of that grim stuff on such a gorgeous day. It's supposed to be 80 degrees--too hot, but it looks so beautiful out that I guess I can stand it for one day. All the natives are saying we'll pay for this great weather with lots of rain in May. I guess Pacific Northwesterners are kind of a superstitious lot.

Hope everyone is having a great day!
Old 05-02-2004, 03:48 AM   #27  

Hi everyone,
Sorry I haven't been posting, been running up my own bottom with things to do before I go away and clearing backlog of work too. A survey I read last week said 70% of Britons find the preparation for a holiday so stressful that it takes a day or so to unwind once there. I will bet they were all WOMEN because it's us who does all the arranging and preps! Had to update DHs wardrobe as his holiday clothes were years old - why do men always give you a fight over buying new clothes for them and afterwards they love the way they look in them?? In one shop I got so exasperated with DH (behaving like DS did at 6 years old, had enough, wants to go home, got enough stuff etc etc) I forgot myself and just said "will you shut up and just do as you are told". We were both surprised and started laughing.
Sheila, great to see you have a trooper's constitution and you are up and running after the appendix op. Must have been really nasty, though. Willow, I am very glad that the doctor thinks your lumps are just fatty tissue but not so good that your hip is not getting sorted. Bluet, sounds like a lovely anniversary you had with DH, congrats! I spent my 30th on tuesday dragging DH round the shops. Angel, I will be thinking of you and DS and the court hearing - let justice prevail and your son get the little ones. Jacqui I hope you are ok and your sinus is all cleared up.
Have to dash, flight is this afternoon but I want to vaccum and dust first - hate coming home to an untidy house though son and his girlfriend will stay here next weekend in our absence and no doubt mess it up a bit, ha ha.
Stay well everyone.
Fatpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 04:00 PM   #28  

Default A nice Sunday

The last two days have been busy.
Yesterday was my one granddaughters 15th birthday and today was her confirmation day.
Of course I ate too much of the wrong stuff but I had such a good time that I don't care if I do gain back a couple pounds.

The funniest thing happened with the other grandma and a couple of the grandsons.
She has a 35-year old daughter whom she has always babied, and who is SO lazy and dishonest. She has 2 boys, 7 and 14 years of age and the grandma is raising them while the mother collects welfare for them.
Anyway, the rest of her grandchildren have noticed over the years that this grandma favors those two boys over the rest of the grandkids. Now, that's not to say that she doesn't love the rest of the grandchildren, because she does.
Well, today, my 12-year old grandson and his 12-year old cousin, both grandsons also to this woman, put a dead squirrel they found on the street, on their grandma's windshield.
She didn't see the squirrel, and had her car door open and was going to wash her windshield before she took off, and when she turned on the wipers to wash the windshield, the squirrel flipped out onto the edge of the open door and bounced into the car.
These boys were all but holding each other up with laughter, as was just about everyone else around there.
Leave it to two boys to think of a prank like that.
Anyway, I'm home now for the rest of the day.

Don't know if I said, but I woke up the other morning with a pain on the top left side of my head. I had a bump there that itched, and I automatically scratched it. By that afternoon, the whole side of my head hurt and was swollen as far back as behind my ear.
I started getting hot flushed feeling and queasy at my stomach that night, and kept waking up all night because my head and neck hurt.
By the next morning, my lymph nodes behind my ear, under my jaw and on the back of my head and neck were all swollen, so I went in to the Dr because I didn't know if it was a spider bite or a scratch that might be getting blood poisoning.
Guess what she told me to take? ZYRTEC! She said it would help the allergy to a spider bite. Well, it hasn't done a darned thing. But, I no longer feel queasy so I must be fighting this off myself, but I still have pain on the top left side of my head and in the lymph nodes. I'm really weird, aren't I? I get the damndest things!

She is also sending me back to work tomorrow. She said that if I'm having pain in my hip at home as well as at work, I might as well sit at work and have pain.
Guess I'm going to quit my job. I hate to lose the insurance, but I can't sit on that hip any length of time. At least when I'm at home, I can go lay on my right side for a while to take the pressure off of that hip.
She is sending me back for 4 hours a day, then I'm suppose to go see her in a week.
I wonder what will happen if I can't sit on it that long. If the Dr will have to give me a medical leave yet, or if she can just say you have to go sit on it. This couldn't hit at a worse time. I've been there over 20 years and am 2 years away from retirement, and if I quit I'll lose my insurance, where as if I stay on an extended medical leave I can keep my insurance and retire in 2 years and then the company pays my insurance until I'm 65.
I'm so stressed out over this I'm sick. OK, enough of my bellyachin'!

The weather here today is partly cloudy, breezy and chilly.

My lawn is starting to look shaggy. I'll have to have my grandson come and mow it this week.

My flowers are coming up. The peonies are up about 1 1/2 feet, and the lilacs are starting to open. The white ones are almost completely open and the purple ones are about to open. It always smells so good in the yard when they open up.
My rhodendron is almost completely dead. I'll have to dig it out and get another one.

Well, off to do other things. Have a great day all.

Last edited by willow_1; 05-02-2004 at 04:09 PM.
Old 05-04-2004, 04:03 PM   #29  

A dead squirrel??! Ooohh, Willow, be glad you're good to those grandsons! Sounds like those two like to go in for practical jokes. That spider bite sounds awful. I didn't know a spider bite could cause all that--how horrible! I hope you're feeling better today.

I really don't understand your doctor. Having pain at work and having it at home are definitely two different things. At home you can move differently, lie down, take a pain pill, whatever, but at work, you're just forced to sit there for hours and can't do anything to relieve it. What a stressful situation! I really hope that your doctor reconsiders.

Puss, I know you are on vacation so you won't read this, but I hope you have a wonderful, relaxing time. We're all so jealous, or at least I am.

Not much going on here. My DH is out of town for the week so it's just me and Dad. Tomorrow I've got a guy coming to rototill and level the backyard so I can throw wildflower seed on it. The main thing is to get it level. My poor DH hurts his back every time he mows back there.

Still haven't gone to aerobics, but I plan to go tomorrow morning. Monday I wasn't feeling that great so I decided to sleep in.

Sure is quiet around here. Hope everyone is doing well. SunnyD, I have to confess I read your posts on another forum so that I can see how you're doing. It sounds like you're doing great, too, so keep up the good work!
Old 05-05-2004, 09:38 AM   #30  

Hi everybody...sorry I haven't been around....I've got a lot going on.
DS divorce hearing is tomorrow, & he's nervous. I'm absolutely terrified! I want all of this over & done with, & for it all to work out. But, does divorce (especially where children are involved) ever work out? DS attorney says he has a very good chance. He is sooo intimidating, though, that's it's hard for, even us, to talk to him. My DH leaves everything up to me...says I'm a better talker...so I have to face this man with my son. I figure, though, if he intimidates us, what WILL he do to HER???? Just pray for us tomorrow & the days ahead. I DO think of all of you & will stop in when I get a chance.

The work on the house is coming along. The walls to extend the back of the house (putting in a den/kitchen combo) is going up this week....looking good.

Willow....oh my, a spider bite! Yes, they can be dangerous. You were probably allergic to it. They give me Zyrtec, Benadryl, etc when I have my treatments & take my chemo throught the week, because I'm highly allergic to a lot of meds. I'm VERY sensitive to the treatments & chemo. So if the Zyrtec helps that, then it probably would help you. It really isn't a minor medication...nor inexpensive. Luckily, my nurse gives me lots of samples.
I don't understand your Dr at all. Like Sheila said....it's different at home, & at work. You may have to go on disability, instead of retiring, if you don't get better. But, that takes quite awhile. I'm so sorry. I hope you can find a solution. Seems like if Dr was going to send you to work, you'd at least get a VERY good pain med.
I had a good laugh over your grands!! Thanks, I needed it!

Sheila...I KNOW you're injoying that beautiful flower garden & yard! Stay encouraged with your diet.

Hope Fatpuss is having a great time!

Hi Jacquie & Bluet!!

Have a great day!

Last edited by Angel-lover; 05-05-2004 at 10:00 AM.