South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 10:39 AM   #1  

Default First week done, didn't lose much.

I just completed my first week of SBD today, and I only lost 1.5 pounds. I know that this is within the safe and healthy range of weight loss, but I can't help being disappointed that my loss was so small. I've read the book twice and I think I'm following the program to the letter (except I did have one small piece of chocolate mid week). Is this kind of loss to be expected for someone only trying to lose 8 pounds and who ate a pretty healthy diet before? Or am I probably doing something wrong? I worked out six days a week for an hour (running and weights), but I've always been a big exerciser. Thanks in advance for your feedback!
Old 03-25-2004, 12:48 PM   #2  

Just a guess, but since you have so little to lose your loss will be slower. I have a total of 65 pounds to lose so my loss was bigger. I know it works. I have tried everything, so trust me. Keep up the good work and good luck.

Also, when I stall, I double my water intake.
Old 03-25-2004, 01:09 PM   #3  

Its possible since you work out so much that you've gained muscle. Have you noticed yourself toner? Hope that makes you feel better. Sometimes its not about the weight but more your BMI (body mass index... your fat to muscle ratio).
Old 03-25-2004, 01:18 PM   #4  

Lyriclyric: Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think it's possible to gain a substantial amount of muscle in one week. Plus, I've been lifting weights for over 10 years.
Old 03-25-2004, 01:22 PM   #5  

Well you are in the safe range for weight loss, so thats good. Hang in there. Maybe more cardio?
Old 03-25-2004, 03:58 PM   #6  
Professional dieter

S/C/G: 250/232/130

Height: 5'3"

You are already in your safe weight zone. If you have been lifting weights for 10 yrs then you WILL weigh more than the average person at 5'1". I would go to someone who can test your body fat percentage and see if you really need to be losing 8 pounds. If you have already done this and from this determined to lose 8 lbs just stick with the plan but your loss is going to be considerably slower than those of us with more to lose. In the meantime listen to your body and how it feels. Eating healthier should help you feel better. Use this as your fuel to keep on plan.
Old 03-25-2004, 04:31 PM   #7  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

You are in the healthy weight range. It could be muscle. The attached says it all!
Old 03-25-2004, 06:14 PM   #8  

Thanks for the input, Jennie and Ruth. I fully admit that I'm doing this more for aesthetic reasons than necessity, but I'm pear-shaped and the only way I can reduce my thighs is by losing weight all over unfortunately. I'm totally fine with losing one to two pounds a week on this plan, but I just hope the weight loss doesn't slow any more than that later on. I think I'll stick to Phase 1 for a month in order to try to prevent that.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:32 PM   #9  

You are quite small so will lose weight slowly anyway. Did you take your measurements? Often you will lose pounds slowly but will drop inches around your waist and other parts of your body. Try on some clothes that were quite fitting before you started and see if they fit differently. I haven't lost much weight the last couple of weeks but I wore some new 3/4 pants today that I only bought a few weeks ago and thought I could slim into them. They are already a bit loose on me and this was the first time I wore them.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:34 PM   #10  
Miss_Smarty_Pants

S/C/G: 160/150/130

Don't fret! It took me 4 days before I lost my first lb. Then at the end of phase 1 I was 1/2 way through my goal with an 8 lb loss. Now I get on the scale and sometimes I will lose 2 lbs in 2 days. I try to monitor what I eat so if my loss starts to stall, I know what foods to blame.
Closed Thread