Father's Day Challenge - 2/29/04-6/20/04

You're on Page 14 of 37
Go to
  • Hey girls! Haven't had a chance to write back for a couple days - baby has had a fever. I still have been reading everyday though. I was still able to go to the gym both Mon and Tue and last night was my first TOPS meeting. It was also my LAST. Not that it wasn't supportive it just wasn't for me. It went very very slow and if I am going to take an hour out of my schedule it is going to have to be woth it. Maybe I will reserve that night for one extra long workout since it is in the middle of the week. Besides, I have gotten 100 times more support in here from you guys!
    I resisted the scale Tuesday when I went to work out. I need to pick a specific weigh in day so it's not so random. What is encouraging though is that I am definately feeling a difference in my clothes already!!!! ROCK ON!!!!

WELCOME HOCKEYCHIC AND RYZMOM - SO GLAD YOU JOINED US!

Congrats on the 1 pound loss for both WaterNymph and Patmartinbrim!! WooHoooo!

Hula - Heck, 1 pound a wee works out to be a whopping 52 pounds in a year! That is something I think we could all handle. Have extra fun for all of us while you are vacationing. We are all jealous.

BoatingMommy - glad to hear you have girls on your fridge too. Congrats on the 3 pound loss - that is awesome!

AZKitty - I hate having "fat" days. WHere it doesnt' matter if you've lost for the week you just feel FAT! There is definately a seperation of Fat clothes and clothes that I would like to fit into again. Sometimes looking at them is encouraging. The problem comes when I try them on too soon and they waaaay super do not fit. Hope you get more inspired for the rest of the week.

Trixi - Awesome job for staying OP! Way to go on resisting the tempation of going out with the girls. There will be a day where we know we can go out and we will have all the willpower in the world but in the meantime it was encouraging to see that you know your limitations. Encouraging to know that I will not die if I say no thank you to things. Did you find shoes for working out? I just did that last week. I am very very picky when it comes to shoes. Went to Big 5, Fred Meyer, JC Penny, .... and couldn't find anything I thought was cute as well as something that would give me enough support. Then I was at Target buying socks (which convienently are located next to the shoes) and found the perfect pair. Never would I have thought to look at Target since I think their shoe selection sucks but I think these are the best feeling tennis shoes I have ever owned and for only $25! The brand is Freestlye and you literally feel like jumping as soon as you put them on. I am not exaggerating because I took my 15 year old step daughter to buy the same pair and she had a very similar reaction. "wow I feel like I want to go work out". Thought is was funny - sorry to ramble.

I think Thursdays will be my "official" weigh in day from now on (partially because that means I will be able to weigh in today). Think good thoughts tonight for me. Hopefully all my hard work is paying off in a way that I will be able to see in scale numbers.
  • Good morning everyone!!!! I took someone's advice (can't remember who) and started taking my measurements on Sunday. I have being feeling like nothing is working cause the scale has not shown a loss this week. So this morning I showed a 1 pound loss which is two for this week but I am use to losing much faster and was really depressed this morning so I took out the measurement tape and after having a very personal conversation with it "please you would kindly show some sort of result cause your friend the scale is just not cooperating and you could be my new best friend if you play your cards right" I measured my hips and waist. I have lost 2 1/2 inches on my hips!!!!! and 1 1/2 from my waist!!!!! So I guess someone was right and the scale is going to my mother in laws house (two blocks away) and I will go over there once a week (Sunday) and weigh in. I am not going to give up my exercise like I contemplated but will be even more diligent about doing it.

I hope you girls have a great day. Jedi I am glad the baby is feeling better and yes I found the shoes I like at The Bay and will use them tonight and hopefully not get the cramp in my toes that has been happing with my others.

Talk more tonight!!!!

Dale
  • I've discovered this weird phenomenon. If I weigh myself the morning after I work out I will weigh at least a pound more then on the morning after I don’t work out. Tuesday night is a normal heavy work out for me and Wednesday morning is my normal weigh-in day. When I weigh in on Wednesday I will show a small loss for the week. Wednesday day evening is either no work out or a very short one. Thursday morning when I weigh-in I’ll be at least 1 pound less. This make NO sense to me! Now I know I shouldn’t be stepping on the scale both days but its hard not to.

Has anyone else who works out experienced this?
  • Just a quick "hello" to everyone before I go for my walk this morning. Sorry I haven't been around the last few days, but my hubby was pretty ill. We even ended up going to the doctor and then him going for several tests. I was pretty worried about him, since he is never sick. I think it must be the tremendous stress from his job and trying to settle into our new house and a bunch of other stresses in our life right now. A lot hit us at once. One of the doctor's recommendations was to eat more vegetables and drink more water and to eat right. I guess that's important for all of us. He is at a normal weight and looks good, so I didn't think I ever had to worry about him.

OK, I've got to get going. Just had to stop by and let you know I was thinking about you all.

Tomorrow is my weigh in.
    Dena
  • Hi all... I'd like to join if you don't mind. I've looked over the weeks and I'd like to lose 28 pounds by Father's Day. That would put me at 125....my ultimate goal. And Father's day (Almost the beginning of summer would be the perfect date for me to be at my ideal weight).

I've been dieting since late october and working out since september. So far I've been cheat free for almost 4 days...(those darn girl scout cookies!)

Hope you all don't mind if I join...I'm going to go update my signature!
  • Lori, Glad to have you aboard! If that's a current picture, I think you look GREAT!
    I've been doing a low carb plan for coming up on four weeks now. I've lost 10 lbs, and seem to be stalling a bit, but I"m not discouraged- I know it can happen sometimes..course it doesn't help if I snack on cheeze and crackers either, but I'm pretty consistant at staying under 40 carbs for the day.

Glad you joined us!
  • Glad to have you join us Lori and I agree your pics looks great.

Water Nymph - my daughter claims that too - she will only weigh on Mondays - since she takes Sun off her training. It might depend if you easily put on water weight - some people's bodies hold water pretty easily. Mine doesn't - in fact I rarely weigh more than a pound difference from morning to evening or day to day. My problem is I love to sneak a peak at the scale between weigh ins and then hate myself. I could weigh 20 times a day!! If I just step on it lightly - - or lean forward a little - - or exhale and hold my breath - - LOL

Glad to see so many people posting losses and even better posting they are sticking with the program and resisting temptation - WAY TO GO.

I just finished grading finals and putting grades in the computer so time for a nap - weigh in is tomorrow -- Here's for hoping for a loss
  • Good evening all!!!!

Had a lousy day today at work. When I got home I didn't want to do my exercise but made myself and I feel better now that I did. Who would have ever thought that exercise gets rid of stress.

I have been logging onto Fitday and my calorie intake is really low around 600 a day. Do you guys think that with the exercise and eating I am not getting enough? I am not sure if I should bump it up abit or not. Tonight I didn't eat one of my pre-cooked meals. I had a hamburger (without the bun) with veggie cheese on it and a tomatoe with a little light done right cucumber dressing (1 teaspoon) it was sooooooo yummy.

Those inches lost have really given me encouragement to continue the exercising even with the stupid scale stalling.

Okay...remember when I said I was going to figure out something to do this weekend so I wouldn't misbehave? Well, nix that!! it's Shawn's birthday on Monday and Friday he wants to go out and "the girls" found out so their coming too. I am going to try to behave most of the night and will definately not eat badly. But the drinking is going to be an issue. I did find that low carb beer and it doesn't taste so bad. My plan is to skip the after work thing and let them meet up with us afterward so I can go home and exercise before going out and that will mean less drinking for me. Good plan huh? See if I stick to it.

Welcome Lory I also think you look fantastic and you will look even more amazing once you think you do!!! It's all relative right? I keep saying to myself that I will bring a picture into work so I can scan it. I was going to do a spoof of before and during and then do and after (the before one would be when I was happy about my weight and the during would be now and hopefully the after will be just like the before) i will put a string on my finger and try to remember for the morning.

Den I am sorry to hear about your hubby...we will all pray he gets better real fast!!!! Make him eat right and drink that water!!!! Soon you will have to make appointments to use the bathroom

Lissandy Ten pounds it amazing and it will continue your going great....tell those cheese and crackers to behave (well the crackers anyway, cheese not so bad).

Waternymph I have found the same thing with the exercising and weight thing I am trying to give up the scale (for awhile I was thinking about stopping the exercise and then put myself in check)

Well tomorrows Friday and weigh in is Sunday for me I think I might hold off until Monday like Hula. Will see how the weekend goes.

Dale
  • Lori AS - good to have you in the group.

This is going to be a quick one - had a good day today....on plan all day, yahoo!

Trixi - Your weightloss is awesome, but you gotta eat a little more. Your body is not getting the nutrients it needs just to function without any movement. 600 Calories is WAY too low for healthy weightloss. At 169 pounds, 1200 is a minimum OK level (maybe even a bit low) and certainly low if you excercise alot. This is your journey, so you need to do what feels right to you, but your body will become exhausted soon if you do not pick up your calorie intake at least a little bit.

One idea would be to go look up your BMR (Basal Medibolic Rate). This is the number of calories your body needs to eat, breathe, digest food, etc. That will be the minimum calories you should eat while dieting. There are several BMR calculators on the web. Anyway - I hope this helps a bit. You will actually get a better metabolism by eating a bit more.

I am no expert and am losing much more slowly than you - but I do encourage you to eat a bit more cuz we all wanta see you looking slim AND healthy and FABULOUS DARLING.

Bye for now
    kitty
  • Real Quick
    Got called in to work tonight so that meant no workout and the gym. That is two days in a row! What's worse is that today was my weigh in day since it is exactly one week ago that I started this journey. I'm going tomorrow so I'll weigh then. Maybe one extra day will be in my favor! Have a good night!!!
  • Thank you all for the welcome and compliments. I actually just posted my before and current pictures on another thread here...

I think you are right in that I have to finally be happy with myself. I stalled last month because I was happy with the weight I had lost to date. When I realized that I was sabatoging my own efforts I started getting more OP. Now, I've been on plan for several weeks (minus 1 or 2 accidents) and I'm stalled again. It's frustrating, but I can tell the inches are diminishing because clothes are getting looser.

I think it's just tough because when we set goals they are in lbs and when that scale stops moving it's frustrating!

Ok, going to start "cheat-free" day number 5!!! Have a ball today girlies!
  • Good morning! Kinda in a rush, got started late with the morning workout and now I have to hustle. Did both 2 mile watp video yesterday and my 45 minute aerobic workout. Can you believe the scale went up a pound this morning? Maybe I should drop the weights for a while. Anyways...

Trixi - I agree with AZ. You need to eat some more calories, good calories. Your body will eventually go into starvation mode if you aren't getting enough and will store what fat it can instead of giving it up more easily.

I wish I had time to write more. Keep your eyes on the goals you have set and have a great Friday!
  • Good morning everyone!!!!!!!

Thanks for the food advise I agree but don't know what I should eat. I will do some more research on good calories to eat that are low carb.

Today I feel great as I have shown another pound loss and my clothes fit loose today!! I feel like a million bucks and want to feel this way tomorrow as well so I am going to try and remember that tonight when we go out.

I have met my mini goal for Shawn's b-day and have made a new one for Easter. I like to little goals as well as this 16 week one.

I hope everyone has a good day and will post more tomorrow, hopefully with no bad news.

Dale
  • Happy Friday!
    Congrats to all you losers and a big WTG to everyone for staying so motivated and upbeat!

I've been doing well with my eating and my water, but that exercise thing just isn't happening. The weather has been nasty so I haven't been out to walk at all. I'm impressed with how many of you are talking about success with the WATP videos so I'm making it my mission to get them this weekend so I have no more excuses! (Will I have any luck at a place like Wal-Mart? I'd rather not order online or I'll use the excuse that they're not here yet for another week!)

Weigh in is Monday and I'm determined to see a difference in the scale this week. I'm going out with a crowd tonight so I've made a game plan to have a very late lunch and a sensible dinner so I'm not tempted to graze on appetizers. I've saved enough points for a couple of glasses of wine and am planning to dance away a few calories.

Wishing everyone a fun and OP weekend.
  • I blew it today - ate almost a whole box of GS cookies - what made me do that???

And it is only noon!