green onion trick

• hello everyone, while i do not eat a strict vegan/vegatarian diet i love veggies. anyhoo whenver i buy green onions at the store, they alway got
    slimy in fridge before i could eat them all. now i just put them in a glass of cold water by my sink window. every day or so, i change water. they last longer and whenver i want some i just grab a stem and chop up..
    originally i was rooting some to grow, but realized they stayed fresher there than in fridge/crisper drawer..
  • What a great idea.
    Did you know you can put limp celery in a glass of water for an hour and it will crisp right up??
  • loralee, i didn't but thanks for the tip. i love celery. about once a week i make a chix noodle soup. extra heavy on the carrots, celery. but hate when the last of the celery gets limp. i only like celery so many ways. and it always feels like such a waste to get rid of what i don't use.
  • Cool! Thanks for the tip Heather! Mine onions always get slimy in the fridge too.

I didn't know that either Loralee - thanks!
  • I've not tried this but my vegan friend swears by it:

Keep lettuce submerged in water in to keep it from wilting.
  • hmmm... I have never heard of doing that with lettuce.

I keep a lot of my veggies in these special containers I bought from Tupperware.
    They have vents that you can open and close according to which veg you are storing - they rock- my produce lasts much longer now!
  • Ok, Mauv, I bought those but I left the veggies in until they "turned black and melted." When that happens, those little holes are a PAIN to clean!