Other Books For discussion of books other than Dr. Phil

Old 01-24-2004, 12:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 285/210/130

Height: 5'1

Default Eat, Drink and Be Healthy - Chapter 2

Ok a little off the time limit we set but whatever!
Where are all the folks who wanted to do this book? W're only on chapter 2 so jump in!

I thought chapter 2 was pretty boring. It was all about distinguishing between significant scientific fact and meaningless statistical babbling. I really hate meaningless statistical babbling
Old 01-30-2004, 01:30 PM   #2  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Angry Hi Ladies~

Sorry for being MIA and not participating in the discussion ladies. I finally did get the book just haven't gotten to far with it. I tried to read the first chapter while DS was having surgery but couldn't concentrate on what I was reading so quit. I haven't picked it up since-sorry. Too much has been going on the last few weeks. I do plan on starting it over today and get in on the discussion. Hopefully others will follow.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:57 PM   #3  
One day at a time

Angry

Cheryl~I am totally with you. I too found Chapter 2 to be quite boring, as well as Chapter 1. I started Chapter 3 and got bored with it-the reason I am posting. Seriously-this is nothing that hasn't been said before. And as he said "Research about dieting and nutrition seems to contradict itself with aggravating regularity." This is so true-so what makes this book so different? How do we distinguish between all the research? I can't tell you how many diet books I have read and how many different articles online and in magazines I have read-so who do we believe? Or do we believe no one and just trust our own judgement? Of course I think we do trust our own judgement and it is trial and error till we find what is right for us. Oh well, I am going to try and finish the book and see if I learn anything I haven't already.

Later ladies...
Old 02-01-2004, 11:01 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 285/210/130

Height: 5'1

I agree with you on all the info out there. I've read a lot of different books, mostly on no processed sugar and low glycemic foods because I've found that that is what works for me. But I just like to read as much as possible because it is a constant reminder to me why I changed my way of eating.

Well we seem to be moving pretty darn slow anyway. So if you want read up and jump in.
How is your DS?
Old 02-04-2004, 02:30 PM   #5  
One day at a time

Angry

Hi Cheryl~DS is fine, thanks for asking about him. I too like to read as much as possible about all this. I read so much stuff online, in magazines and have bought my share of books on exercise, weight loss and food. I think it is to the point that I don't know what to belive anymore. One person says one thing, then you turn aroudn and someone else says something else that is totally opposite from what the other person said. I guess I am still trying to fine what actually works for me. I started this book because I have heard such good things about it but I am finding it hard to get through it. I did make it ot Chapter 4 and I WILL finish it. I think the best one I have read so far is Fit from Within and Dr. Phil's Weight Loss Challenge which I am rereading. I will be back to discuss this (Eat, Drink & be Healthy) and see what everyone else thinks about it.

Take care