Bringing back The LC Book Club!!!

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • I just read a book last week that I could not put down. It was called "A Child Called It" by David Pezler. I started and finished it without moving. lol it was that good. It was really a heart warming story about a young boys will to survive. Makes one think of how lucky they really are! It's a very sad book also! This book was the first in a triology. The other two are called "The Lost Boy" and "A Man Called Dave" I have those two on reserve for me at the library when they come in. Can't wait to read those!

Lisa
  • I have to agree with Clan of the Cave Bear!

As a matter of fact, I have the whole set. They are as listed in correct order:

Clan of the Cave Bear
    Valley of the Horses
    The Mammoth Hunters
    Plains of Passage
    Shelters of Stone.

I am on Plains of Passage. I started the first book in August and ALL of them are as equally good! You just keep hanging on to see what will happen in Ayla's life next. And you don't have to read a previous book to know what is going on. You can start anywhere in the set.

I LOVE Dean Koontz and Stephen King. Twilight Eyes (D.K.) and The Stand (S.K) are 2 totally timeless classics.
  • Lisa - I just noticed you read 'A Child Called It'. Was it really good? I've picked it up a few times at the store but have always been afraid that I couldn't stomach it.

I love Stephen King! I highly recommend the Dark Tower series. It doesn't fit into the horror genre, but the books in the series that have been released so far are amazing.

And for those of you who like a more difficult and bizzare read, 'House of Leaves' by Mark Z. Danielewski (Poe's brother if you know who she is) is one of my all time favorites.
  • Star: I read "A Child Called It" in one sitting. I couldn't put the book down. Most parts are not that bad, but there were a few parts where I felt really sick to my stomach. The 2nd and 3rd books in the series are not at all bad though. In my opinion, it's well worth reading! Hope you read and enjoy it!!

Lisa
  • Hmm, I will have to check out "A Child Called It". What exactly is it about, there are certain topics I won't read.

Mrs H: Ya know one of the best pregnancy reads I ever bought was "The Girlfriends Guide To Pregnancy". Down right hysterical! :hyst: She also has the "Girlfriend's Guide To Baby's First Year" which is cute but not as good. I HIGHLY recommend the pregnancy guide. It isn't full of anything scary either!

Star, I LOVE the dark tower series. I have the whole collection and will be first in line when another comes out. I don't know if you have ever read "The Talisman" (totally awesome!) but he came out with a sort of a sequel to it where Jack is an older retiring cop and kids start disappearing/being murdered in this new town. Very good but not as great as the first one. It's called Black House, pretty rivoting. I read it in about 2 days
  • Randi: "A Child Called It" Is a true story about one little boy's journey through child abuse. The first book is a very sad book, but the other two books are very enlightening and are about his life after he was removed from his mother's care. Very interesting, but the first book is a little sickening at times!

Thanks for the recomendation on the pregnancy book. I will have to check it out. Every book that I have read so far on pregnancy hasn't been at all funny! Some can really scare the crap out of you! I was thinking that maybe had I ready them before I got pregnant, well I probably wouldn't have gotten pregnant Guess being a first time mommy I am just scared as to what to expect!
  • Ok, I have to add a little bit about "A Child Called It". Lisa's right on the topic, but you must be warned: his case is considered the worst California has seen and he's pretty descriptive. Like I said, I've read parts and it's almost unbelievable what happened to him. Especially when you consider that his father was there as were his siblings, but the abuse was focused on him.
  • Thanks for heads up Star. I will check it out a bit before deciding to read it. I won't read anything about child sexual abuse and it sounds like maybe I shouldn't read this one.

Mrs. H - That is exactly why I recommended the Girlfriend's Guide. Not to long ago I was becoming a first time mother myself and I remember all the scary things. All I can say is don't read those parts unless you have reason. Otherwise you will just worry yourself sick. I also liked having a pregnancy journal. I found an awesome one at Target for like 10bucks that told you each day how your baby developed, what to expect and left a spot for you to write in it. Nothing icky in there either!
  • Cinny - you may want to try looking it up on Amazon.com. They always have plenty of helpful reviews of everything.
  • Thanks, I didn't know you could read a couple of pages from it. Of course, I did and now I have to go buy the darn thing.
  • Well, I borrowed "A Child Called It" from the library yesterday. I finished it in one sitting last night. Definitly worth reading. I totally think that the abuse he suffered is heartwrenching and sickening, but I think the part that bothered me the most about it was his dad. I mean WTH????? HOW could you let your child go through that and then leave him there knowing you were his only protection and barely at that!?!?!? I don't understand and almost hate him more than the mother!

I am for sure going to check out the other 2 books in the series. I think this book ended a bit abruptly and left a lot of questions. I hope they are answered in the next two.