Doing our own thing - October 2003

You're on Page 3 of 10
Go to
  • Just caught up on the old thread... DNW thank you for your moving post re: denial with food issues. I'll be thinking about that too, and trying to use it for motivation. {{hugs}}

Jello - I SO know how you feel right now! Arrrgh! Start over now. Fill up your water, drink it.

It's definitely worth paying attention to, when we do things counter-productive to our goals... and to ask: How did this all start? Tracking the patterns helps us recognize earlier in the cycle when they begin to happen, and eventually it will be early enough to find a strategy that helps us cope w/o food. Somehow this is an area where progress has always slipped through my fingers in the past. I just don't like to face these issues! Sometimes I'm in denial that I have them, but then I think I must or surely I would be thin by now?

Anyway, it's good to be back in contact. However, I think I can't try to follow up on ALL your news, LOL. A lot happens around here in a week! I'll just give you all some love and get out!
  • Did junk food make the phone work? Just inquiring because some people here still don't have phones and I'll tell them to eat more junk food if that will fix it! Just kidding. Jello, my husband is the same way. If it is still happening or happens again, call you service provider and have them check the line. You can sort of rule out if it is their problem or yours that way.

Been busy - got HIM off the Baltimore at 4:30 so I'll have a catch up day tomorrow.
  • Hi All, I'm back from training class, will be back when I get a chance to catch up a bit.

((((hugs all around))))
  • Nope Quilter. The junk I ate didn't help the phone problem one little bit. In fact, it made it worse. Now, not only don't I have a phone, I also feel bad about myself. Yeah, I'm a dope.

But it's a new day and I've given Rich the ultimatum. Get it fixed or I will. And that means I take a day off and stay home ... unsupervised ... with tools and paint and stuff....

Anyway....

Welcome back Cafe!! Missed you around here! Forget this "I have to work" stuff and give us a long post full of vacation details and good things! I must live vicariously through you for now.

And I have to live with this boss. Grumble. He's heading to France on the 18th for a week. Just gotta get through the next week....

And oh yeah .... GO CUBS!!!!!!!
  • Jello:Keep yelling Jello and maybe we will get there. I figure we will win tonight with Kerry on the mound but when we get around to Zambrano again I get nervous. They sure beat up on them last night though, didn't they?

I only have a couple minutes as the electrician is here rewiring the house. He does one section at a time and he is going to be turning off the electricity here soon.

Have a great day ladies!

Faye
  • Jello, are you saying you are a weapon of mass destruction when left alone at home with tools? In which case, I'll bet your phone is now working fine.

Yesterday was my birthday so now I can officially collect Social Security - at a greatly reduced rate. Hope I don't need to do it for several more years. I'd go crazy or kill my husband if I have to stay home now. Just the time I was home during the hurricane drove me near the brink.

Big physical is next Wednesday so I figure I may as well "live it up" until then. I'll probably be on the twigs and berries diet after that.

Boss is back from Baltimore today so have to get to work!
  • Twigs and Berries

• FELICITATIONS TO YOU, QUILT! HOPE YOU HAD A WONDERFUL ONE!

Oh you guys, I had the best time last night. Today is Jack's 54th birthday so I took him to Joe's Crab Shack for dinner last night as we are having his birthday dinner with the kids tonight. I had never been there before and didn't know what they did for a person's birthday. Oh my gosh, they took Jack out of the booth, put him in the middle of the restaurant, tied a grass skirt on him, a lei, a bikini top and a straw hat. They then proceeded to tell everyone to sing him happy birthday and he had to do the hula. If he stopped before the song was over everyone was to stop until he started again and we would all start from the beginning. Jack was a totally good sport about it and hulaed the heck out of his skirt! I am laying down in the booth dying laughing because if you knew my husband, he HATES being the center of attention let alone making a spectacle of himself. I would have killed for a camera! He was just sooooo adorable!

I now have the grocery list for my menus and though I can't get to the commissary until Sunday, I am looking forward to getting on something structured. It is the best way for me.

You ladies have a great weekend!

Faye
  • Oh, I thought I posted last night but now it is gone? Maybe I never hit submit or something, sounds like what I'd do.

Anywayyy, I can't remember exactly what I said anymore but I'm sure it was better than anything I can come up with this morning, LOL. Don't feel like I have much to add. (duh, need more coffee?)

Happy Friday!

Edited to add: Faye, we posted at the same time but that is a great story! You had me giggling too. Too funny!
  • Faye, I know what you mean about being structured. If I have a menu, I will faithfully eat what is on it but if I'm flying by the seat of my pants, I eat the wrong stuff. You never have a camera when you need one! Bet you can't get him to go there for his birthday next year!
  • Had no time to post today! But being busy makes the day go faster.

Faye, too funny!! Most of the guys I know would have hated it! You're lucky to have such a fun man!

Cafe, been there, done that.

I gotta run. I'm on fire today. Been doing all sorts of stuff and have been doing it RIGHT!!! Who'da thunk it!?

Have a great weekend all!
  • Jello: Yeah for you! Keep up the excellent work!

well we pulled a win out of our behinds somehow last night. only 2 more wins to the world series!

Hope everyone is doing great OP. I have one more sluggish day to get through and then I can get to the grocery store and get my menu stuff.

We are taking Thomas to see Good Dog today. Don't know if he will sit through the whole movie, but we will see! The kid LOVES popcorn, so I imagine dinner won't be eaten cause ole Nonny and Granddad don't deny him much. I did a DUMB GRANDMA thing yesterday. I bought him a present of a Halloween coloring book with stickers, a strip of other Halloween stickers and a box of washable markers to take to the restaurant to keep him busy and THEY DID! I thought I was being a smarty pants and bought him markers that "puff up" as they dry. NEVER LOOKED AT THE EXAMPLE! The $%^& stuff was PAINT not really markers though it did SAY markers. He was squirting paint everywhere trying to get it out of the tubes. It's a wonder everyone in the restaurant didn't go home polka dotted! What a mess you guys and of course HE LOVED THEM! We had to hide them in Jack's gift bag when his food came so he didn't take them home.

Everyone have a great day! Carol we miss you and have you in our thoughts every day!

Faye
  • Hi All,

Been to busy to post, only had one day off from my grandson. I am physically sore from heaving him around (28#) and from climing back and forth over the baby-gate maze used to control his movements. Not complaining though... this grandma stuff is the absolute greatest! When those little arms wrap around me, my heart just melts.

Had a rough few days of eating! Thursday we had pizza on the run and then an Aunt Annies pretzel (worth every calorie) at the mall. Friday was my son's B-day so I baked him a cake and fixed lunch. They left the baby and the cake... I spent the day lifting up the cover and taking little tiny slivers... When they returned for the baby, the cake was boxed up and waiting by the diaper bag. I figure if it ain't here, I can't eat it.

Faye: I'm rooting for your cubs too. I'm forced keep up because since the playoffs started, dh has been in charge of the remote. When he walks into the room, all his subjects bow, relinquish his chair and from bended knee, offer up the remote. I wish *I* had this kind of power over my kids.

Quilter: Twigs & berries... too funny... after my two days of wanton eating I should consider this option.

Catch you all later.
  • Well I have already taken someone to task this morning, so I am definitely on someone's list here! This person was making comments about some woman who was eating too much at a restaurant. Boy, it is sure easier to cast stones that to look at yourself and judge yourself, huh? I let this person have it as you know how unassuming and demure I am Seriously though, I never let anyone get away with that crap anymore!

Today is grocery shopping day oh joy! I don't really mind it as dh hauls it all in for me!

The movie was fun and Thomas was wonderful though his mom said he would never sit through the whole thing. Being with Nonny and Granddad is different I guess! I didn't even fill him up with too much junk food. We bought him a kids pak that had a drink (lemonade not allowed soft drinks), popcorn and a little bag of m and m's. He loves popcorn. If you have kids over about 5 I would recommend this movie. It was really sweet. T even wanted to cuddle so I got to have him on my lap for awhile and I never get tired of that!

CUBS WIN 8-3! ONE MORE WIN AND WE ARE IN THE WORLD SERIES! SHOE IN!!!!!!

Well ladies it is breakfast and then to the store!

Have a great Sunday!

Faye
  • Monday Funday, as Tig would say! Hey girlfriend, whatcha doin' today after you get those kiddies off to school?

Well, here there is not too much going on. I cooked for friends last night which was fun, and on top of it the house is clean from company, which is a bonus to start out the week. Now I am finally organized after coming back from vacation.

I can't believe it, this weekend we have to run to Memphis for a wedding. Came up suddenly because I haven't been thinking about it. It is no one I know, someone DH knows, so I'm feeling ambivalent about the whole trip, but I'm sure it will be fine and possibly even fun. Never been there before (Memphis.)

On the diet front... Ice cream invaded my home this weekend. Other than that (!) things went pretty well. For this week, I have my menu set, at least for dinner, and I feel good about it.

Lizabeth, should lugging around a 28# kid count as exercise? Auntie thinks so.

~Cafe