Beck Diet For Life/Solution – February 2021 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

You're on Page 6 of 11
Go to
  • My presentation went well. Yay! CREDIT for persevering until it came together.

My eating got sloppy in the process, so I'm committing to a written food plan today.

Our current temperature is -1. We'll get to a high of 6. I expected that and a little snow, but they increased the prediction yesterday and our winter storm warning is for 6-9" before it ends at midnight. With temperatures that cold it will be dry and fluffy. Still, it will need to be plowed.

Fortunately, it will be 16 degrees tomorrow when DH will get the tractor out to do the job. We have winter gear that will handle 16 degrees, for sure. In a pinch it would handle 6 degrees. When we were younger, we took winter vacations in Minnesota for snow-shoeing. But I'm glad that the plowing job can wait until tomorrow.

Exercise +30, 555/1400 minutes for February

BillBlueEyes: My partisan friends think that our Republican governor is punishing the cities for not voting for him by sending the vaccine to the rural areas that did vote for him. I prefer to believe that, with limited supply, they're working the kinks out of the system in places with smaller demand before coming into the areas where the demand may be overwhelming.

Yesterday was not an easy day but it was worthwhile. DH's Valentine's Day gift to me was cupcakes. I said thank you and then I went through the whole process of what I should feel, what I should say, how I should act, how to put things in perspective. There was a great deal of internal work over the course of twenty minutes in a small cabin. Of course, in the end I was too hurt by his seeming complete disregard for nearly a year without sugar. At least I didn't come out with the extremes "You never" and "You always". The short version of a day of trying to avoid a cold war was talking it out and just trying activities that we both enjoy that were easy. He said he gave me the cupcakes because he thought I didn't eat sugar because I thought I was fat. He gave them to me to prove he didn't think that I was fat and din't need to abstain. I get it but it still made me feel lonely. In the end I did NOT have to eat the cupcakes to "SHOW HIM" anything. I was tempted. I just logged one more day without dessert and had a reasonable food day.

So, credit for us both. An early morning up and coffee. I have to clean the cabin and head down before traffic.

Wave to all.
  • Kind of a wasted day yesterday. I ended up doing another grocery shopping for DD who is apparently going to be here for a bit. Lots of drama, sigh. I went to see my widow friend and vented. I made a vegetarian casserole that i love and will eat for the next few days. I ate way too much chocolate. My shoulder is a bit sore yet so I am still babying that.

Today I woke up feeling better about the new living situation. I remind myself I am grateful I have children. I need to remain CALM. And remind myself I can still get things done and eat better, the choice is up to me.

Maryann- great job on the communication. Sometimes men are a bit dense (except for Bill of course!) but its so great you guys could both say how you felt.
    Gardenerjoy- that’s interesting what your friends say. Some folks feel the blue states weren’t sent enough vaccine because of politics as well.
    Penny- video with weights sounds good. I use my cheap indoor bike more for ROM than real exercise so my body shouldn’t complain!
    Karen-the Sedona hike stuff is interesting, thanks for posting. I like reading about it- hopefully someday I will get out there.
    Bill-yay for your weekly walk. I’m working on gathering my tax stuff too, My accountant will be amazed when I hand stuff in on time.
  • Good morning!

Yesterday was on plan, both food and exercise. I didn't eat a later meal and had the heartburn to prove it.

Maryann, good job sticking to the no sugar with such a tempting obstacle.

My taxes have been done for a while but both state and federal are taking longer than usual to show up in my account. You'd think with owing state they'd snatch that up right away.

It's supposed to hit 45 degrees today and I'm hoping the ice melts off the driveway before covid testing Wednesday or I'll have to get out there and scrape it off.
  • Fat Tuesday - Mardi Gras (since 1699 at Point du Mardi Gras, New Orleans)
    Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was a second dip into the red lentil dahl with the second (and, sadly, last) loaf of naan. Call me a vegetarian for the day. Evening snack included the last of the gifted micro-brownies. I'm glad they're done; I could get in the habit of eating those every day.

In the spirit of cleaning out old food in the pantries, I spotted a bottle of Thick Worcestershire Sauce in the fridge. Hadn't thought about it in years. I bought it in response to some ad that suggested that it'd change my life. Tried it once. Then remembered that I don't normally use Worcestershire Sauce. We rarely have steak or hamburger - and I don't use it on them anyway. DW pointedly noted that the "Best Use By Date" was 2011 - not that I think there's anything in there to spoil. Sorta amazing that it could just sit in my fridge for more than a decade unnoticed. Shuffled about as other condiments came and went. DW didn't toss it since it was mine. I can't even post a link to a picture because Lee & Perrins changed the name to Bold Steak Sauce half a dozen years ago. Odd that such a small size container makes me feel so free to know that it's gone.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Congrats for your successful presentation and Double Congrats for finding a positive interpretation of the actions of your local government. Ouch for being in the heart of the arctic freeze gripping this country.

maryann - Kudos for working through your feelings about a warm and loving gesture that felt like it missed the mark. Missing the mark is something we Y-chromosome types do a lot.

curlyjax - Yay for having a widow friend who can listen to you vent. I'll be cheering for you to get your taxes information done on time.

Penny. - Congrats for having your taxes already done. You'd think that the governments would give the early filers instant refunds to reward that behavior. Your corner as well as our corner of the country seem to be avoiding the worst of this arctic blast. I'm worried for some relatives in Texas who don't have the clothes or the skills for below freezing temperatures.

Readers -
    Quote:
    Success Skill 1 Motivate Yourself Daily
    When to Read Your Advantages Deck

Along with your Response Cards, read your deck each morning before breakfast to create a helpful mindset for the day. As you read each card (either silently or aloud), be careful not to let the words just pass in front of your eyes. Think about how important each advantage is to you. Also think about whether you want to go through the rest of your life not achieving each advantage.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 54.
  • Less chocolate eaten yesterday. I made my fiber packed no yeast bread, shoveled a bit more and took a 20 minute brisk walk. I started gathering my financial stuff, and got distracted on finding passwords for online accounts. I get paranoid about hiding the passwords but then I can't find them. That's the only good thing about paperwork being in a mess, no one else could find anything either! Right now I'm home for awhile so it doesn't matter.
    I talked to my SIL for a bit and we both agreed there isn't too much to talk about these days, but I will take boredom over national upheaval any day! I really miss browsing in a library, I need some new books.
    Bill-I'm pretty sure I have an old Worcestershire bottle in my frig too, but not that old! Also old soy sauce bottles, as I haven't made stirfry in quite some time.
    Penny- yay for on plan and taxes done. I'm so ready for winter to be done.
  • Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday, but I did have a couple of beers when I got home from hiking. I had planned on just one.
    I had a long day hiking yesterday. We did the Hieroglyphic Trail and then up to the top of the Superstition Ridgeline. It was lots of elevation gain and the part I didn't like was all the scree. Then when we got to the top we got off trail and it was too much exposure for me. I have done the Ridgeline hike 3 times so I told the group I was sure we were off trail, so luckily we didn't go too far on that dicey area. Anyway it was a fun group of gals, but my backpacking buddy and I decided we don't need to do that one again. We want to do backpacking and don't want to get hurt doing some of these less safe hikes.

Today I'll stay home and do some housework. It just doesn't seem to do itself when I'm gone all day. I bet you all notice that too. Food is planned in my head and I'll write it down when I finish here. I will also do my home exercises.

Bill That is crazy that you found something from 2011 in your fridge. I guess I had better look at my things again.

Penny Good job getting your taxes done so early. I did get my stuff together and will either mail it or drop it by to the CPA today.

Curlyjax Well I guess that was a short lived empty nest. I bet dd appreciates that she has a home to come home too that is pretty close. And you are right about it being your mind set that determines if you get things done or eat right.

Maryann Credit to you and dh for being able to communicate about the Valentine's gift. And super kudos to you for continuing on in your no sugar stretch. Oh and I forgot to say I don't remember where I stayed in Sedona, cause I actually only stayed there once. It is usually a day trip for me.

GardenerJoy I'm glad your presentation went well. I can't believe how cold it is where you live. I wish we could share the heat and the cold and store it up for different times.

• Good Morning, Coaches.

Curleyjax: I am reading a couple of good books. One is When Crickets Cry by Charles Martin. It isn't a really deep read but it is emotionally engaging for a cold winter night. I am also listening to Rising Again by Brene Brown. Again, it isn't rocket science non fiction ( No offense, BBE) and it is a little dated with words like "best self" and "A-HA moments" but the backbone of the thesis is strong and a good reminder of the courage to change. She says deciding to have courage by definition means deciding to fail at some point in the journey. She explores what it takes to rise from that failure.
    BBE: My amazing frugal fail : Two Monster size Worcestershire sauces from Sam's Club a year ago and I don't use it.
    Karen: Thanks for illustrating the point.:Just because it is hard doesn't mean I have to do it. Not getting hurt is a big deal at this age.
    Penny: You are admirable for enduring the weekly tests. That would be a bummer. I hope that won't be a requirement for teachers when we go back.

Food is unstructured and Meh. I have written a no flour plan except for the low carb tortilla I eat for my egg burrito in the morning. The more wheat i eat, the hungrier I get. I have written a plan and will sit while I eat all of it. My first to do today is to get a drs. appt for my foot.
  • Good morning !

Yesterday was on plan with food and exercise. I'm feeling sore from exercise and am very happy about that! I've been using the Peloton app with my non-Peloton bike and it comes with so many great non-cycling classes and guided meditations. I'm going to try out a four week strength training program.

Maryann, one good thing about the weekly covid test is I do my own, at home. I agree about the bread causing more hunger. I can tell how bad I'm doing by how much bread creeps into my diet.

Bill, it really is new year, new you with the purging of that (checks spelling) worcestershire sauce.

Karen, you were the hero that steered them back on course! Enjoy your day at home.

Curly, Good luck getting all your tax stuff gathered. I see my state finally took their payment today. Now hopefully the federal refund will come in.

Joy, I'm also taking the relaxed approach to the vaccine distribution. I figure in a few months it will be widely distributed and all will be well. I hope!
  • I'm checking in late due to an early morning meeting with multiple districts school administrators. I wasn't sure that the call would happen at all -- since it's a snow day for schools. But the host showed up and so did a handful of other administrators. That actually made it more fun and I suspect that's helpful in the long run when activists and administrators get to know each other as people. In this case, a bunch of people who have very cold temperatures and several inches of snow in common.

Exercise +50, 605/1400 minutes for February
  • Ash Wednesday
    Diet Coaches/Buddies - Had a provocative class via Zoom based on the book Sapiens by Noah Harari. Harari argues that the agricultural revolution was the worst hoax ever to befall mankind. Compared to hunter gathers, we're less healthy, more stressed, and more subject to famine. And we had to invent standing armies to protect our harvested crops. The rise of culture, he suggests, would have happened anyway. One student brought up that agriculture was invented independently in fourteen different areas of the globe, using different crops, during the same thousand year span that the climate changed to one more favorable to a longer growing season. Fun class with many opinions. What a history we have.

Eating was on plan with no daytime snacks, CREDIT moi. Dinner was grilled salmon because it was Tuesday. Evening snack was my much loved Cosmic Crisp Apple. All's right with the world.

Watched a PBS TV show The Black Church by Henry Louis Gates, Jr. with DW. Powerful reminder of the oppression of slaves and the constant tension of Christianity wishing to convert them without the messages suggesting that they could become free. Certain passages in the bible were excluded when given to slaves. Gates is a remarkable scholar and story teller. I intended to watch the first fifteen minutes but was mesmerized.

Joy (gardenerjoy) - Congrats for playing the role of a good manager - even when you don't have that title.

maryann - I've heard this before, "The more wheat I eat, the hungrier I get." Don't understand why it's so. In his book Harari suggests that wheat led to overeating and obesity; my classmates suggested that it wasn't wheat, but sugar.

Karen (karenrn) - Now I want to hike your Hieroglyphic Trail. All the pictures from Arizona just grab me. Glad that you didn't get too far off the trail. In the White Mountains of New Hampshire, there are opportunities to get in trouble off trail - particularly on Mount Washington in the area of Tuckerman's Ravine.

curlyjax - Password management is a big PITA. Glad that you found a few. I've lost many. And I've tried to create an account on a site only to be told that I already had an account, "Enter your Password." As if I'd remember the password when I didn't remember that I had an account, LOL. Is your no yeast bread baking soda bread?

Penny. - Kudos for sore from exercise. Love that you're using a Peloton app on a non-Peloton bike.

Readers -
    Quote:
    Success Skill 1 Motivate Yourself Daily
    When to Read Your Advantages Deck

It's important to actually read the deck and not just mentally recall what the advantages are. I've found that reading and reflecting on each reason seems to penetrate the mind much more deeply and reflecting on each reason seems to penetrate the mind much more deeply.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), Pg 54.
  • Good morning coaches,

Food was on plan yesterday and lots of housework was completed too. On top of that I dropped the tax prep info off at the CPA. I also did my arm/shoulder exercises and plank. I was happy to notice that the plank exercises have really strengthened my core. I noticed when I was doing the vacuuming and it didn't bother my back. The flat hardwood and tile floors are never a problem, but we have carpet in the bedrooms and it's a different vacuum. Anyway, it was a noticeable difference and I hope that keeps me doing the exercises. This morning I'll head out to hike Tom's Thumb and then down the other side and back. It's 6 miles but two good climbs. I just wanted to mention Train with Joan for any of you that want a little inspiration. She has a website and is also on Instagram. She is in her 70's and has lost 70 pounds or so, but more importantly is really in shape. She still has the skin of an older woman, but boy has she got muscles. I am so impressed and it goes to show that we (even those as old as me) can be fit and strong.

Bill I have heard some stories about people getting lost in the White Mountains and the horrible weather that can come up quickly. Yes, I'll have to get out on the Hieroglyphics trail again. Just not going up, up, up from there.

GardenerJoy It looks like another very cold day for you. Stay warm.

Penny That's super that you're finding such a variety of exercise programs on Peloton. I'm sore too and it does feel good, I think I'm getting more leg muscles.

Maryann I always enjoy the book recommendations and I've put When Crickets Cry on hold. I hope you get an appointment to get your foot examined.

Curlyjax You're right there isn't as much to talk about these days. I'm hoping it won't be too many more months until we can do more social things and even travel again.

• The big thrill yesterday was going into a library! Although my town's library isn't open for browsing, some of the neighboring towns are, and one was even open for a few hours in the evening. Not much new selection but great to walk among the stacks. Among other things I took out Jane Bryant Quinn's Making the Most of Your Money Now which is like 800 pages. She covers all aspects of personal finance, and I realized I should take a good look at my home and auto insurance, and see if I can save some money there. I would like to understand more about investing as well, and am looking at some real beginner books. Like, what is a bond? what is a mutual fund? etc. Entering my fourth year of widowhood, I need to get a better handle on my finances now that my head has cleared.
    A bit of shoveling but thats all I did exercise wise, and eating was mixed. Onwards.
    -Bill yes, its the I-diet Soda bread, which I couldn't link here. Very healthy and filling, from a Tufts professor.
    Maryann- Rising Again sounds interesting, thanks for the rec.
    Karen- yay for planks and a stronger back!I love seeing differences like that, it definitely makes one keep going.
    Gardenerjoy-weather does bring us together for sure, and is always a safe topic.
    Penny-that bike sounds very cool, glad you're enjoying it.
  • Good Morning, Coaches.

Yesterday was a series of challenges that I ate over. When I say ate I mean too much wheat and too much everything that I had put on my plan. Today I am at the threshold of 170 AGAIN. Needless to say extra food did not solve any problems. The only credits I can think of are not eating the jar of jam in the fridge, calling a good friend, thinking about Karen's planks and doing some of the them, prayer and meditation, and getting a good night sleep. I woke up this morning and none of the challenges have been resolved but I have written another food plan and am giving myself a do over. The good news is my foot hurts less and I will go for a walk at lunch. On the bright side, it is light out as I write this. Spring is coming.

curleyjax: For Valentine's Day, I gave DH Boglehead's Guide to Investing It was recommended by a good friend of his who used it as a book club book. I gave DH the audiobook. I might start listening to it after he finishes.
    BBE: Interesting topic. I always teach the kids that without agricultural, there would be no surplus of food hence no specialization of labor. Without specialization, there would be no civilization - writing, art, technolongy, etc. . . I would be interested in knowing how he gets around that.
    Karen: I have bookmarked training with Joan. I need shot of something.
    Penny: I love that feeling when I am in a pattern of exercise. Good for you.
    gardenerjoy: I am glad somebody is willing to meet with a bunch of administrators Never a good situation for me.
  • Good morning!

Yesterday was overbudget on calories and I got a good exercise in. I was going to start this four week strength training program but couldn't make it past four munutes of the video. I feel terrible it wasn't the program, but the guy's speech impediment. It was one of those thick tongue lispy ones that was distracting. I'm an a-hole. Ugh.

But I switched to a random upper body video that was good, and today I wil do lower body or core.

Have a good day, everyone!