2020 Foresight: Maintainers Chat for 2020

You're on Page 8 of 24
Go to
  • Quote: Today I saw a weight on the scale that I haven't seen since last July! Hooray! It was 127.5. My goal is 125 or below. The Trump Diet is working I eat between 2000 and 2300 per day.
    Alice!

Dagmar
  • Quote: Today I saw a weight on the scale that I haven't seen since last July! Hooray! It was 127.5. My goal is 125 or below. The Trump Diet is working I eat between 2000 and 2300 per day.

Woo!
  • Looks like I'm going to take a financial hit from the coronavirus. Out of 4 clients who have to pull their kids from school for 2 weeks in addition to March break 2 have opted to keep me walking their dogs. I'm grateful to them.

Still went for the cookies. I haven't found another way to deal with stress and anxiety. Overeating is still my go-to. SIGH.

Dagmar
  • The news media are creating panic. It's unnecessary.

I'm glad I don't have to figure out how to work!

I really hate the stock market selloff, though. It will come back, of course, and I would never sell any of my holdings during a drop like this--but in the meantime I just feel "poor on paper."

I'm still following an Intermittent Fasting protocol, and I feel better with it than with any other restrictive eating plan.

We had ice cream yesterday, mostly because of anxiety. But no "rules" were broken, so I don't have to feel bad about it. Today it's "business as usual."
  • Buisness as usual for me too. The office is shut now, but i rarely go there anyway and normally work from home anyway. My china team have had delays with progress obviously, over the last few months but are starting to get back to things. India team still largely unaffected. Head office in Germany (lots of evening meetings for me) is normal at the moment i think, but guess that may change although most people travel a lot and have laptops so working at home wouldn't be an issue. Things will change when our customers start shutting down (mining and steelmaking industries).
    The gym's still open and i'm still going each day, but class numbers are totally erratic - some are full some are empty! Off to watch football this afternoon for the last time as the <500 person maximum crowd rule comes in on Monday. Would be nice if we're allowed to keep moving around Australia for the next couple of weeks because i have a trekking holiday planned, but it's a 10hr drive to get there, so i need petrol stations to keep open til then!!!
  • I'm doing OK despite the income hits and a couple of moments of panic about stuff. I did eat half a box of stale graham cookies last night but that is still the go to for anxiety. There's lots of anxiety this morning. Good thing I'm going out to work. Hubby is coming into close contact - sitting in a room with the guy all day - with a boss of his who has been away overseas and who probably won't self-quarantine. Hubby is quite at risk. So that's what the graham crackers were about - frustration at not being able to do anything about a situation.

I think I'm probably going to gain some weight until the virus thing is somewhat contained and the "curve" is flattened. I'm fairly anxious by nature and I eat when I'm anxious. And I'm anxious about a lot of things right now.

Dagmar
  • Wow . Yesterday I looked at an online grocery place that sells by the case (where I get protein bars) and DH said I was panicking and should wait to order. Today all the bricks and mortar grocery stores I went to were still pretty much picked clean. I went back online and all sorts of things are sold out already. Placed an order promptly. This is not going away in a week I think. And I'm in Canada where we are already "flattening the curve" and have restrictions in place that the US hasn't even considered yet. We get a whole lot of our food from the US. I wonder if that will continue. Scary times.

And yes, I did get 2 boxes of cookies at the bricks and mortar store along with fresh meat and chicken, coffee, and two of the four cans of tomatoes that were available. No bread, no dairy, no pasta, very little frozen food.

Dagmar
  • When I went grocery shopping today, there was no meat to be had--not beef, pork, or chicken. I found some frozen ground beef patties, though. No eggs. and very little milk products. Not much in frozen vegetables. Forget toilet paper! However, they are restocking the shelves as quickly as they can. It's that people are still buying in panic mode.

My partner and I are "sheltering in place." We kind of do anyway, so it's not a big deal. But many things have closed down.
  • Quote: When I went grocery shopping today, there was no meat to be had--not beef, pork, or chicken. I found some frozen ground beef patties, though. No eggs. and very little milk products. Not much in frozen vegetables. Forget toilet paper! However, they are restocking the shelves as quickly as they can. It's that people are still buying in panic mode.

My partner and I are "sheltering in place." We kind of do anyway, so it's not a big deal. But many things have closed down.
    I think there are a lot more people at home with not much to do so that also might fuel the panic buying.

Dagmar
  • Our bread, milk,eggs, meat, and paper products are taking a hit in Bakersfield. I saw one cart with 10 or 12 heads of celery!! Wonder what they plan to do with it -- it doesn't freeze and it takes up a lot of room in the fridge. I have plenty of food at home, so other than feeling very annoyed at this needless idiotic behavior, I'm okay.

There are currently 4 cases of Covid 19 in my county and one in the neighboring county where I shop. My main worry is that my DH is returning from Phoenix today, and although he is driving, he spent time with his son ( a nurse) and two daughters. The daughters (both married to nurses) flew to Phoenix, one from Sacramento and one from San Antonio. They went to a small play and to restaurants. I think I will socially distance from DH for a week or so!
  • Quote: Our bread, milk,eggs, meat, and paper products are taking a hit in Bakersfield. I saw one cart with 10 or 12 heads of celery!! Wonder what they plan to do with it -- it doesn't freeze and it takes up a lot of room in the fridge. I have plenty of food at home, so other than feeling very annoyed at this needless idiotic behavior, I'm okay.

There are currently 4 cases of Covid 19 in my county and one in the neighboring county where I shop. My main worry is that my DH is returning from Phoenix today, and although he is driving, he spent time with his son ( a nurse) and two daughters. The daughters (both married to nurses) flew to Phoenix, one from Sacramento and one from San Antonio. They went to a small play and to restaurants. I think I will socially distance from DH for a week or so!
    DH and I can't really "live apart" in our house. We only have one bed, although I have used his office with an air mattress as a bed when he's had a really bad cough. We would have to do a lot of finagling to stay 6 ft. + apart and to avoid touching the same surfaces. And now medical professionals are saying it survives in the air for hours. https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/18/coro...udy-shows.html

Dagmar
  • That's a scary report, Dagmar! I can't avoid breathing the same air as DH, but we have separate bedrooms and bathrooms. (We have a tiny house but we both sleep better in our own bed). I wonder if it makes things better or worse to run a HEPA air filter. I think I'll turn mine on. The son that DH visited for 4 days does not see patients, but he supervises a staff of home health nurses. Last night he called to tell DH that one of his nurses is showing symptoms (no test results yet). So I'm crossing my fingers.
  • Quote: That's a scary report, Dagmar! I can't avoid breathing the same air as DH, but we have separate bedrooms and bathrooms. (We have a tiny house but we both sleep better in our own bed). I wonder if it makes things better or worse to run a HEPA air filter. I think I'll turn mine on. The son that DH visited for 4 days does not see patients, but he supervises a staff of home health nurses. Last night he called to tell DH that one of his nurses is showing symptoms (no test results yet). So I'm crossing my fingers.
    I hope the nurse tests negative Alice. I think eventually a lot of people will get sick. The big question is how sick? We are all pretty healthy on this forum so I think we will probably manage and recover. My hubby is at risk of having a much more serious case and I'm on him again about getting a check up and starting to go to the gym again and losing weight blah, blah, blah. This pandemic might be the thing that lights a fire under him. I hope so. My retirement plan did include him!

Dagmar
  • I don't think losing weight affects whether one catches contagious diseases... But being healthier is always a good idea.

We don't have any officially mandated shelter in place orders here yet. Yesterday we got our hair cut and went to lunch. The restaurant was pretty empty. We take many precautions, and the businesses all have hand sanitizer and are going over surfaces regularly. I left a big tip for the server.

Plenty of food at this point.
  • Hope everyone is staying home and staying healthy! Now eleven cases in my county, but none near me. I stay home most of the time anyway, so the big difference for me is that DH is here more. But he's still golfing tomorrow, and I went hiking yesterday.