November 2019 South Beach Daily Thread

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I'm a little slow on the "rabbit, rabbit" but thought I would start up a thread for the month.

Here's to an OP month as we head toward the eating challenges holiday season!
  • Good morning chicks from the chilly north. We have some faint sunshine this morning but the week's forecast includes that 4 letter word...Guess it is November!

This week was a bit slower; one the weather starts to turn there is less yardwork to do and so I am thinking of indoor cleaning projects. This month I would like to empty and clean out the kitchen cupboards so they are clean before I start decorating. This year I should have enough time in my schedule to decorate early!
    Yesterday I went to the annual Craft and Food show our Chamber of Commerce sponsors. I was very good and ignored the baked goods and chocolates, but I bought some flavored olive oils and vinegars to use on salads. Food has been pretty good; I'm about to head over to Kalyn's site to look for some new recipes.

Have a good day all!
  • Good morning!
    Thanks for kicking off Nov, Beth. Good job staying OP among temptations. Kalyn always has great recipes, idea & links to other recipe sites.
    I slid away from plan after a few good days & am restarting today. One bad day led to another, before I knew it, I wasn't even logging this past week. Between another DD visit, a new bakery in town & a food truck fest...I have been over indulging. The colder weather gets me craving comfort foods too, but I know there are better choices to be had.
    Not sure I can give up my skim milk cappuccino in the morning I've gotten used to though. We have a fancy coffee maker & I learned skim foams best, which I know isn't op, but so delicious. I tried whole milk & almond, it's just not the same.
    Everything else on plan I'm looking forward to.
    I wonder what Pearlrose is eating in India? Our idea of Indian food is probably like Chinese or Italian, mostly not authentic.
    Hope everyone's well & has a beautiful Monday✌
  • Hello everyone,

I got back late on Saturday, wow what an experience it was definitely interesting. Eating was way off plan as their food is way too spicy for me lol. Mainly had white rice and indian bread. If you like spicy food you would have definitely liked their food. I managed to only gain a couple of lbs even though all I had was carbs, I guess all the walking helped. I am going to start Phase 1 this week and get back on track. Work has been hectic as can be as the transition date looms Dec 6th.

Beth we got the 4 letter word today, went from 88 degrees flying home on Saturday to the teens today brrrr. Glad you were able to avoid the baked goods.

Cenari sounds like you have been having fun too

Debbie hope everything is going well for you too.

Have a wonderful evening
  • Welcome back Pearlrose.
    I would not have done very well on your trip; I don't care for spicy foods either. It is nice you were able to do so much walking.
    We had quite a snow storm here; 8 inches over the last 24 hours and now wind chills in the sub-zero range. The long range forecast has 40s this weekend so maybe we will be able to get rid of the snow.

Cenari, hope you are having a good week.
    Debbie.

Have a good day all
  • Beth yesterday we had around 3 inches of snow and today the high was 15, quite a shock from high 80s in India lol. Went from sweating to having to bundle up in my winter gear. We are also supposed to get into the 40s this weekend.

I saw on FB that Debbie is off to visit her brother in Florida, hope she is enjoying the warmth.

Have a great evening.
  • Good morning,

Thought I would check in, it is still frosty here. Today is DD2 and I day, she wants her nails done so we will probably go do that and then maybe some shopping we shall see. DH went to a football game with DD1 and her hubby. I got the Disney+ last night so we watched some movies together before I fell asleep, having a hard time with the jet lag and trying to stay up past 7 p.m. lol,

Hope everyone is doing well.
  • Hi Pearlrose (and everyone else!)
    We are also locked into winter here. Snow and cold. I'm trying to have a positive mindset. Yesterday it was sunny so DH and I bundled up and took a walk in the afternoon.

Not much new here. Starting to do some shopping for gifts; of course most of it is online lol. I'd like to do some thorough cleaning before I decorate for the holidays so that is on my to do list..
    Food is pretty good. I've been spending a lot of time looking at new recipes. This month my goal is to try kale. I also have 2 big stalks of Brussels sprouts I picked last weekend so I'm looking forward to those.

Have a good day!
  • Good morning chicks &
    Welcome back Pearlrose!
    My intended restart didn't last long. I thought the rest of the month would be fairly quiet when I last posted, silly me. All good though. DD2 requested my help last week, she's always kind of last minute, so off I went. DD1 & family are moving Thanksgiving week & then they're out of town the following. We'll be watching the kids, 1st one here, then the other there.
    We have had cold temps, but no snow, thank goodness.
    Pearlrose, I didn't realize Indian food was so spicy. I wonder if it depends on the region. Rice & bread would get boring fast.
    Beth, I'm not a huge fan of kale, but will eat it in stuff, raw baby kale in a salad mix isn't bad. I do love brussel sprouts, especially roasted.
    I'm making lentil soup this week, once I get to the store.
    I get a little panicky looking at the calendar ahead. Thanksgiving is late, so Christmas will be here before we know it. I'll be doing a lot of ordering & shipping this year too. I do like to get out to the stores for ideas before they get too busy. I like to make a little something for a few neighbors, I was thinking muffins this year. I won't be doing much baking otherwise. We still have no idea when we'll be traveling to OH, before or after Christmas. I leave that to DH, but do like to know & plan.
    I think for the remainder of the year, I'll focus on maintaining & not gaining. Then get back to business losing in 2020. In the meantime, I'll keep checking in here to stay in touch.
    Have a lovely week all✌
  • Good afternoon,

I started Phase 1 today, got to get off these carb kick before all the Holiday eating comes around. Just trying to get back into the swing of things. I brought up the Christmas tree yesterday but did not decorate it need to see how the dog (horse) is going to handle it before I put any ornaments up. So far he has not touched the tree so hoping for the best. It is crazy busy at work as our transition date looms on Dec 7th.

Beth I am glad you are doing so well with eating, you are going to be my inspiration to get back on track. I don't really like kale hopefully you will like.

Cenari sounds like you are busy too, if you can maintain during the holidays that will be great, I was gaining so had to get it under control.

Have a great week everyone!
  • Pearlrose, I found a kale recipe both DH and I liked!
    I removed the stems and cut up the leaves, then sauteed it with a piece of bacon, onions and garlic. I also added some Dijon mustard, plus salt and pepper of course.

Mostly I tasted the Dijon and bacon. It was good enough to make again and inspire me to try more!
  • Good morning,

Day 3 of Phase 1 and the scale is moving back down, cravings haven't been as bad as I thought they would be so am glad about that. I have been going to work pretty much for the whole week and am going in today and tomorrow as well, hopefully traffic won't be so bad.

Beth that actually sounds really good minus the onions lol. I may have to try that out, I bet it does taste good.

Have a great day everyone.
  • Good morning chicks!
    Anything with bacon & mustard sounds delicious to me, Beth. Our favorite pork tenderloin marinade is with balsamic & mustard...so good grilled. It's an Adkins recipe.
    Do you like shallots or leeks, Pearlrose? Both are milder than onions.
    I faced the scale this morning & stayed exactly the same after 3wks mostly off plan. I am up 2#s from summer low, but not hoping to lose more until 2020. I think I eat more on plan than I realize, avoiding carbs & sugar & limiting portions. I also know to stay away from trigger snacks when I do get hungry. Thankfully, I don't have a sweet tooth, salty stuff is my vice. I could certainly eat more vegs & get more exercise, always room to improve, right?
    We have rain & cold coming this way so I'm off to stock up on more soup fixins for the weekend, maybe chicken chili or a taco soup.
    Have a great Friday & weekend all✌
  • Happy Friday,

Finally got a work from home day. I moved to Phase 1.5 and had some fruit yesterday, I think I have managed the carb carving monster back where it belongs and now to continue eating op. I would like to lose 5 more lbs before Christmas rolls around if I can get eating well. We had Thanksgiving luncheon yesterday at work but I only grabbed op foods, though portions were a bit big. I am also trying to manage portion sizes so was nice to see the scale not move up this morning. Knees are bothering me again, I am sure it is due to shots are worn out but going to try and stretch out time in between them to more than 3 months, Dec 11 will be 3 months so going to try for January or February unless they get too bad.

Cenari that is great that you are maintaining, that is also a good goal for the Holidays

Have a great weekend everyone.
  • Hi everyone!

Sorry I just don’t get here much anymore. Pearlrose was correct I was in Florida and it was heavenly. I spent as much time as possible with my brother (he sleeps a lot) and had an enjoyable time walking lots and riding a cruiser bike. I go back 22 December and I think I’ll have an inexpensive bike shipped down so I can continue my adventures. Sister and I are both there for 11 days this next trip.

Foodwise, I’ve been doing good. I’m doing lots of journaling and am trying to get more organized with home cooking. With only 3 more weekends at the restaurant I’m trying to find more enjoyable and healthy home meals. I’m not following South Beach principles to a tee now....still mostly the same foods but I’ve eliminated morning and afternoon snacks unless I am in fact, hungry. My blood sugar is super stable and my body just doesn’t seem to want so much food anymore. The scale is clicking down for me so seems a good decision. I’ve set a 1 year goal and seem to be headed in the right direction.

DH and I made some changes at the laundromat. Our employee had medical issues in late August and I was committed to keeping her spot open. She wasn’t seeming up to cleaning at night every time I asked. Then several weeks ago her boyfriend was in the restaurant and I asked about her. He said she was doing great. Hmmm....
    Kirk had gotten in the habit of doing the night cleaning and I had started processing the big ski clothing order that we do once a week in winter. We had discussed things, because I had a feeling she would pop back up once the good money ski order started happening. Sure enough, she did, last week. I explained that with my quitting the restaurant job I needed to do the order myself and she didn’t even ask about cleaning. So....I will work on it myself until it gets too large that will get some help from one of my three chosen assistants.. LOL. I was trying to be understanding but two months without contact was just a little too much.

It seems I’m going to continue to find plenty to keep me busy.

keep up the good work! I will see if I can get better at checking in.