Maintainers Vol.19

You're on Page 14 of 34
Go to
  • Thank you Andrea.
    I've been thinking a lot about people too, wondering how they are.

I think this time of year is a bit slower on chats, likely holidays and for sure January there will be more focus on health and more need for support.

I'm doing well, experimenting a little with adding things back in, plus the added intense exercise, and going up and down a few lbs but I'm good with that. Learning to still really get to know my body and also accept where it wants to stay (within reason).
    I still feel so new at this - I sometimes need to really dig in and keep my motivation going, as maintenance is definitely an ongoing challenge that really never ends it seems. Like you said though, I prefer the challenge at my healthy weight, rather than the challenge at a heavy weight.
  • Andrea and Amber - I am soaking up everything here! I really appreciate everyone sharing their experiences.

I've been testing my own calorie limits this week. Typically I set my calorie limit just under 1400. This week I've averaged anywhere from 1400-2000 calories without any gain which is exciting. Of course, I am actively working out most days which I am sure makes a huge difference.

I struggle with my macros, tending to lean very heavily towards fats over carbs. I am still fearful of carbs and unsure how to incorporate them into my meals. While my weight has remained stable this week, my bf% continues to go up. My IP coach keeps telling me the only number I need to consider is pounds of fat mass which has remained consistent between 40-44 lbs each wk.

I know my body is considerably more toned since reaching goal in June. Just disappointed that not all my numbers are falling in line. My gym trainer advises that I need more carbs but I have trouble wrapping my brain around being leaner by eating complex carbs.
  • Weird.... I'm pretty sure I posted on here yesterday, but it's not here. Maybe it was only on Preview Post and then bam its gone if I don't submit it. Wah, wouldn't be the first time. I think my brain has leaked out along with the snot (sorry TMI!) these past few days.

Sounds like you guys are all doing well! Keep it up - it's inspiring!
    I too miss RuthAnn, evemomma, 65x65, and Maile. Hope things are OK in their lives right now.

I think we need more dancing broccoli:

Liana
  • "One Can never have enough dancing broccoli” = Confucious
  • Hey Maintainers-
    I've been posting mainly in the Rebooter's thread since I am technically no longer maintaining

Has anyone ever tried the Quest protein powders? Are they any good?

I started my reboot, but it is modified right now as I am doing a program at my gym. I have been doing roughly 1500 cal / day with 100g carbs. I have been basing my carbs around my workout only and then eating P2 style the rest of the day. So far, it is going really well. I am down 2.8# since Tuesday (when I decided that I was going to go lower carb). I will take it! It is a little slower than what I would be losing on P1, but it is so much more manageable and having the majority of my carbs around my workout gives me plenty of energy in the gym. As long as I keep losing, I don't see any reason to not keep going down this path.
  • Hi ladies,

I have just caught up on your posts and you're all doing awesome. I have a bad cold which ends up with me going to bed at the same time as my 7yr olds. Didn't stop me from running 18km on Saturday....although I likely shouldn't of. Last long run before 1/2 marathon in 2 weeks

Avalon- you are so close to goal, love your profile picture. Keep up the great work

Jennydoodle- I haven't tried the quest products but I think a few of the ladies on this thread may. Sounds like your reboot is going well, do whatever works for your body. I've slowed my workouts down from 9hrs a week to 5 but still always add a shake or almonds with the workouts.

Andrea - great job getting back to goal!

I had wi on Friday and was the same +4lbs but considering it was after our thanksgiving I'm happy with that. Will keep eye on the prize and work for 2lbs this week

Off to vote in our federal election than to the gym
  • Hi everyone -
    I'm chugging along... up 5lbs this morning after a looser day and meal out yesterday... so doing a stricter day or two.

I'm starting to get a rhythm going with it all, and not feeling like there is a problem when I need to get a little stricter for a few days.
    I would really prefer that rhythm and feeling like I can eat out or with friends sometimes.
    Also I can't exercise as hard on P1/P2 days, so I don't want to do too many in a row, but I don't mind having a day or two off when needed.

For me, looser just means eating a little extra fruit, having some nut butter, some fries. It's not going crazy. My body just seems to be very sensitive, and I need to learn to live with that without a lot of weight fluctuations.

I really want to find a better rhythm in maintenance without as much anxiousness. I think part of that for me though is going to be the suggestion made in IP and in Refuse to Regain - that if the scale goes above my comfort level, that I handle it in the moment.
    I think that will quell the anxiety some, if I just know I will stay steady and be OK.
  • hahaha Amber, (chain of thought) Confucius=Stir-fry=dancing broccoli being quickly flipped around in the pan=P1
    You're good!
    Jenny38: 18K with a cold!! You are a superwoman!
    Welcome Jennydoodle!
    I'm at 134.6 today - lowest weight since June 'woot-woot happy dance' and comfortably in my maintenance zone!!

Liana
  • Hi all!
    Still plugging along on my reboot. I have found a good rhythm and it is working.

I also realize that I am very carb sensitive and will need to stick mainly to vegetables once I am back on maintenance. All grains, even gluten free ones, seem to have a negative affect on me. The GF ones are certainly better than the alternative, but as a general rule, I think I need to keep grains out of my system.

I am so envious of you girls who finished your reboot Sometimes I just sit and think to myself "what the heck took me so long???" But alas, at least I am back and taking action. I am waiting for my Quest protein powder to be delivered. I am excited to try it as they have some fun flavors (salted caramel! peanut butter!), not just standard chocolate and vanilla. That gets boring after a while.

I am trying to stay off the scale because I get upset when the scale stays the same for multiple days in a row. Logically, I KNOW that the scale is not going to move everyday, yet I expect it. So for now, I am forcing myself to stay off except for actual weigh in day and a mid-week check point.
  • Jennydoodle - I have tried all of the Quest protein powders, I like them all and they seem to suit my system well. I like to mix the peanut butter & chocolate.
    I haven't tried the new one - the salted caramel - let me know what you think.

I think I have similar issues to you - poor tolerance of higher glycemic/grains/flours. I think it's related to how my body digests anything higher in sugar. I'm learning what I can tolerate (the amount) and what I can't. A bite or two every week or so seems like the max I can do. If I do two full servings of fruit a day I react, but I can use it as a garnish. I also react to a lot of sweeteners.
    I am working right now on getting my gut healthier using high quality probiotics and enzymes - I will let you know in a few months if that helps at all.

I think most of us here, when we reboot, are doing a somewhat adjusted version of P1/P2 to allow for exercise or life activities. If we catch it fast enough (meaning we reboot after 5 to 15 lbs up), the alternate versions seem to work fine. A lot of us have figured out we don't want gluten, or soy, or what have you, and some people do more of a P2 or add a little extra fat (cheese, extra oil, etc). Yes, the loss is slower at times, but more livable to do from time to time.

I'm still learning what works for me, so would love anything you share or discover as you go along. I just finished a mini-reboot, did a strict P1 with an extra packet for exercise for 2 weeks, and then went to more of an alt P1/P2 for 4 weeks, and then P3 for a week. Aside from that I'll just do stricter days here and there as I described above.

--------

Jenny38 (since we have two Jennys here now - I hope you feel better soon - I echo Liana - 18K while sick - you're a hero!

Liana - congrats on getting back to your happy place. I think I'll be there slowly but surely here.... taking it slow trying to drop a little using P3/P4 and a little P2 thrown in.... but happy to maintain where I am also. I'm going to do a little push in January if it doesn't happen naturally before then.

CenTX good luck with everything. I just added a complex carb here and there to see how I do. Like jennydoodle mentioned, grains overall don't really work for me either. Rice seems awful, and any version of rice. Forget flours. But small amounts of quinoa with protein seem OK, and also oats with protein, and I can do small amounts of potato or sweet potato here and there. But I only learned that from trial and error. I'm guessing barley would be OK but I don't really get into barley.

Hello to everyone else - Andrea, Avalon, JJTx, DD, etc.....Slip if you're reading this thread..
  • Amber, if you have gluten issues barley is definitely NOT OK, lol. That's why I miss good craft beers, lol. If it is other things though, it may be OK for you in small amounts as you said.
    Liana
  • Quote: Amber, if you have gluten issues barley is definitely NOT OK, lol. That's why I miss good craft beers, lol. If it is other things though, it may be OK for you in small amounts as you said.
    Liana
    Thanks Liana!
    I don't think I'm gluten intolerant per se, but it doesn't seem to do anything good for me, so I pretty much don't eat it. It's pretty much in things that are too high on the glycemic index for me anyway, and I'd rather spend the calories on fat, as avocado and cheese and such seem much more satisfying to me than to waste it on things I don't like much anyway like pasta that makes me feel bad anyway.
    I don't like barley anyway so I'm not missing it lol.
    Yes - craft beers make me practically pregnant with bloat the next day, and two of them will guarantee me a yeast infection. So needless to say I don't go there
  • Liana – Great SV!! You rock

Jennydoodle – I am not a huge fan of Quest shakes but my DH drinks them for workouts. He mixes the chocolate and peanut butter. My IP coach recommended a premade protein drink called Premier Protein that can be found at Sam’s/Costco. The box drinks come in 11oz volume but I just measure out 8oz and the nutritional info is comparable to IP shakes. They are thinner in consistency but taste okay cold.

Jenny – Wow, congrats on your 18km run! That’s amazing!! And sick too! I recently decided to try running and just started the Couch to 5k program this week. We shall see how that goes!

Amber – Once again, I feel like you and I are living parallel IP lives. Scale has been up due to a tough food week. Lots of social stuff going on, lunch meetings, etc. Hard for me to get one whole P1 day in this week but am trying today. I have 2 pairs of jeans and I try to wear at least one of them weekly to make sure I am keeping things in control. Tried both pairs on this morning and they were tiiiiight so another P1 day for me today…

Had a tough workout Monday with my trainer on legs and then went to my first kickboxing class Tuesday after work. Survived kickboxing but, man, I was hurting! Had to take motrin just to go to sleep for the last couple of days. Decided to take a recovery day (aka: book club ) yesterday and am feeling much better. Raining here today but need to get another C25K run in weather permitting. Then back to my trainer tomorrow. My how my life has changed from even 6 months ago!

Hope everyone is having a great week!
  • Amber- yes, I definitely have food issues

I have been doing well on my modified reboot. It is a lot more manageable than full fledged P1. Simply not relying on packets is HUGE. I have been doing my reboot with real food at B,L,D and having a protein shake post workout (hence the Quest powder) and as a snack. Not doing the packets also helps me feel like I am not on a "diet". Even though I am being VERY strict right now, eating whole foods is a huge mental hurdle.

I lost 3.4# the first week on my modified reboot, which is more than I thought, so I am really happy with that. I am hoping if I can average 1-2# a week from here on out, that would be really great. I am just starting my 2nd week, so in my mind, that is the true test. Anyone can lose weight starting any diet in week 1. The 2nd and 3rd week are the true tests. If you can lose weight in those weeks, you have a winner.

2nd day in a row staying off the scale. Go me! I can honestly say that I am feeling really good. I feel smaller and with just 5.4# gone, I am already noticing that my clothes are laying just a little bit better. I also took some starting measurements, so I am excited to see how many inches I lost. Quite frankly, isn't that what we all care about anyway?
  • Strange... I posted a reply here and it's gone now. Maybe because there was a link?
    anyhow... perhaps your jeans are tight CenTXChk because of the muscle soreness. that is if it's glutes/thighs.
    We saw an amazing show last night and I will try to link it again Chase Padgett - 6 Guitars https://vimeo.com/107570325
    If he is in your area (and he travels all over N.A. and has done shows in Europe) I'd get tickets if I were you.
    Liana