IP Community Daily Chat Wednesday 11/12/2014

You're on Page 2 of 4
Go to
  • Hey guys,
    So this is my second day and I feel pretty crappy. I am quite nauseous, headachy and very, very tired/weak. This is to be expected right? I know I read it, but I need to be reinforced that this is normal
    Thanks!
  • Quote: Hey guys,
    So this is my second day and I feel pretty crappy. I am quite nauseous, headachy and very, very tired/weak. This is to be expected right? I know I read it, but I need to be reinforced that this is normal
    Thanks!
    Normal. It should get better after tomorrow. Be sure to use your salt quota and drink lots of water. First few days are rough, but it will be worth it!
  • Quote: Normal. It should get better after tomorrow. Be sure to use your salt quota and drink lots of water. First few days are rough, but it will be worth it!
    Thanks!! I am feeling better as we speak! I love this site!
    Thanks!
    Oh yes, VERY normal! My first day on IP I felt great, I was all, "I CAN CONQUER THE WORLD WITH MY WEIGHT LOSS SKILLS!" Second day? CRASH. I felt terrible. Hang in there - eventually you feel fantastic!
  • Morning! Weigh in was ok.. Only down a pound. Coach says I'm still showing a high level of water retainage. I'm getting over a respiratory illness that has lasted 10 days so far. I still have minor swelling of both my knees from hyper extending them 3 weeks ago. I'm trying to stay upbeat and have patience. Not my strength!
  • This reply is for harper75 from yesterday's Daily about shingles and IP.
    Quote from MedicineNet.com (Doctors answer your questions)

"Shingles (also called herpes zoster) occurs as a result of a reactivation of the varicella-zoster virus (VZV) that causes chickenpox. Since the virus never completely leaves the body, it can reactivate in the form of shingles, causing localized rash and nerve irritation. Shingles typically occurs in older people and in people whose immune systems are weakened.

The immune system becomes less efficient with age. It is believed that this is the reason that shingles is more common in the elderly than in younger people, but the exact reason why the virus begins to start reproducing again is unknown. Stress can also weaken the immune system. Studies have shown that persons experiencing significant psychological stress are more prone to infection than those who are not under stress. For this reason, stress can also precipitate outbreaks of shingles in some people."

So in a way IP could precipitate an outbreak, since you are putting the body under stress as you change your eating habits, but it doesn't actually cause it.

Hope you feel better soon.
    Thanks!
    It's not uncommon. On my second day I was hit with a killer migraine. I was in bed barely able to move and eat for three days after, but when I could eat, I ate OP and was glad for it because there was an end and I'm midway through my 7th week and feel great about my losses

Hang in there and don't forget to get all your salt and water in
  • Sg, I wasn't on yesterday so I missed your news. CONGRATULATIONS! 50 pounds! Woohoo!
  • Quote: Still no TOM for me yet, and I realized it's been a little while since I've "gone" so I might be suffering from a bit of the big C.....feel like that was confirmed this morning when I stepped on the scale and it showed me up a POUND since yesterday! I'm 100% OP so I know it wasn't food causing that number on the scale

Drank some smooth move this morning, going to drink plenty of water, and if nothing happens by tomorrow I'll do my Miralax regimen...it always manages to get the pipes moving again
    scorbett: Those darn up pounds. Ugh. I made a MAJOR mistake. I was looking at my Cal/Mag and comparing it to the IP brand. I thought I was taking too much. So I backed off some since about Wed. of last week. Result: BIG C, BIG TIME. So uncomfortable. I have only had one episode of this since on IP. Smooth Move worked that time. But I've had the tea two nights in a row with little results. I may have to get some Miralax and try that. This could explain the no loss WI in and the bloaty feeling I've had for the past week. Live and learn.

Quote: SO cold!!
    This is so unusual for us this time of year. I've worn my new puffy coat the last two mornings.

sgrealtor: I missed your 50lb. post yesterday. Congrats! That's such a milestone. You go girl!
  • Sgrealtor I missed ur post yesterday!! 50 is a BIG deal!! Congrats!!
    Just read so many post of people not sleeping well! Sorry to hear that. Chamomile tea and Magnesium powder(whole foods) at night helps some folks?
    And i don't think i shud do this, but i love how smooth move tastes, so i drink it every now n den but adding those extra free veggies in between and drinking warm water in the am with lemon also helps me go. Oh and a little walk helps me too.
    Also- Since i started week 5 yesterday I decided to incorporate a little exercise. just got back from my 2 mile jog+1mile walk. Ate my BCAAs and drank my shake and hope to prevent muscle loss!! I want to gain my strength back to prepare for my 1 month crazy vacation.Lets see how this week goes!!
    Happy OP day y'all!!
  • Aria - Just something to bear in mind - Smooth move is a stimulant (it's a senna tea, the same active ingredient in Senokot laxative). So if you use it TOO often, your body could become dependent on the stimulating effects to go at all, even if you aren't having a bout of C.

That's why I lean on Miralax beyond the first cup of smooth move, it's not a stimulant but it draws water to the colon to help get things moving. I generally have no more than 1 cup IF I have a backup issue, and then move on to the miralax if that doesn't work after a day.
  • Quote: Aria - Just something to bear in mind - Smooth move is a stimulant (it's a senna tea, the same active ingredient in Senokot laxative). So if you use it TOO often, your body could become dependent on the stimulating effects to go at all, even if you aren't having a bout of C.

That's why I lean on Miralax beyond the first cup of smooth move, it's not a stimulant but it draws water to the colon to help get things moving. I generally have no more than 1 cup IF I have a backup issue, and then move on to the miralax if that doesn't work after a day.
    whoa dat's good to know!!Thanks Scorbett I used to use psyllium husk before IP. Is dat ok? my coach said it was not allowed
  • And what about the digestive enzymes? do they help with the big C? I have never taken them before.Thanks!!
  • Quote: whoa dat's good to know!!Thanks Scorbett I used to use psyllium husk before IP. Is dat ok? my coach said it was not allowed
    Psyllium husk powder is mainly fiber so you are probably OK, if it works for you - here's the Nutrition Facts (from online nutritiondata.self.com). It's waaay better than backing up with the big C.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/custom/669594/2
  • Quote: And what about the digestive enzymes? do they help with the big C? I have never taken them before.Thanks!!
    Digestive enzymes purport to help your body break down the food that's in your belly, by adding proteins (enzymes) that facilitate digestion. Kinda the way Beano helps relieve bloating/gas when you have trouble digesting fiber. Beano is a digestive enzyme.

Whether it will help with C? Depends. If your C is related to not enough hydration or inefficient colon, no. If your C is because your body is having trouble digesting the big dinner meals? Possibly.