Exercise at home or in the gym?

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • Hey guys,
    What do you prefer exercising at home or in the gym??
    Im in a huge debate with my sister about this!!
    I say that its much better to go to the gym, but she says its better to workout at home!!!

• i think it just depends on the person.I am not consistent at all at home,but make my 9am CrossFit class 5 days a week.
  • I love both. I couldn't live with just one or the other. I workout at the gym, at home, and outside.

depends on my mood. Eventually I want to buy some workout equipment for at home.
  • The answer is: whatever will get you doing it regularly! There are advantages to the gym as far as equipment and professionals to advise you, but if there isn't a convenient gym in your area, you won't go no matter how committed you are.

Where I live right now, there are only two gyms: a Planet Fitness (cheap, but no weight area) or a fancy local one that costs 3x as much. Neither one is anywhere near my home or my work. So instead of trying to force myself into something that doesn't fit my routine, I bought a couple pieces of basic equipment and work out at home
  • But the question is where do you keep your equipment in your house?!!!?????
  • Whichever gets you to actually work out!!

I have some great workouts at home I do without equipment (I have some dumbbells, actually.)
  • Quote: But the question is where do you keep your equipment in your house?!!!?????
    One does not need big equipment to work out at home. I love the gym for classes, I love working outdoors in the fresh air and with other outdoorsy people, and I love working out at home where it is peaceful and quiet.

At home I do body weight exercises, I have a yoga mat for stretching, yoga and Pilates, dumbells, exercise bands, I even have a step I keep under my bed and a large ball to sit on. That all fits it my closet and I could fit way more in there if I needed to like kettlebells, medicine balls, more free weights, yoga blocks, jump ropes, I could even fit a hula hoop if I wanted to.

I don't need a treadmill, I walk/run outside. I don't need a recumbent bike, I bike outdoors. I don't need a stair master, I hike in nature and take the stairs instead of the elevator everyday, I don't need a bench press, I only use free weights. There's nothing I can do at a gym I couldnt do anywhere else.
  • I can't make the gym work for me at the moment (3 kids, no crèche here) so I only walk with two youngest in a pram or do a few floor exercises at night at home. I'd love to go to a gym again but right now home is working well for me.
  • I need a combination....On weekends if I'm going to work out has to be the first thing I do when I get up or it won't happen...So I do DVDs, rent on amazon, or daily burn (just joined jury is still out)

During the week I'm not getting up at 5am to do anything but hit snooze, but I will hit the gym before I head home.

Between the gym I usually work out 3 - 4 days a week and its been working.
  • Quote: But the question is where do you keep your equipment in your house?!!!?????
    I live alone..its in the living room, it will soon be in a nice decorative box I'm going to buy since I'm trying to make my living not look like a storage place...blah..
    I live in a 2-bedroom by myself, so I store my exercise equipment in the guest room, but everything I have is very small and portable, so I carry it out to the living room to work out and then put it away after.

I have a very basic stationary bike, which is semi-collapsible for storage, a yoga mat, and a set of two adjustable dumbbells.
  • I live in a 1-bedroom 650 square foot condo, so I have no equipment in my place. My building has a gym, which I use occasionally. But the adage that "No condo resident uses the gym" is a complete and utter lie when it comes to my building. It's a nice gym but certainly doesn't have the same breadth of equipment as a commercial gym, so it's quite common for me to have to wait for a machine to be available. So, I continue to go to my regular gym for my workouts.

That said, I have no desire to ever own a single family house, so if I ever buy another strata (i.e. another condo, or a townhouse), a gym will always be a must-have amenity.
  • I am a morning person, all the way. It is much easier for me to wake up at 4 - 430 am, drive to the gym and work out than to convince myself to go after work.
  • I prefer the gym or outside. I find working out at home I get easily distracted or lose motivation and stop mid workout
  • I prefer going to the gym as I discovered that when I see others exercising I ferl more motivated as well. Also as I work for many hours I have connected my home with the place I relax so working out there is zero.