02 Regainers regaining control, and relosing

You're on Page 29 of 34
Go to
  • As always, I really appreciate all of the posts here. So much insight. I am doing better, trying to stay consistent.

Uber--I could really relate to your post regarding the stages you go through. Oh, what I wouldn't give to get to kryptonite!
  • Hi All,

Thank you so much for all of the kind words! I do remember Rockin Robin. In fact, she really inspired me A LOT when I was losing the first time around. She was a firm advocate of KRYPTONITE and it really helped me a lot. But then, one day she just disappeared, and one of the mods came in and said something along the lines of "don't ask about Rockin Robin..." That sort of freaked me out. After that I always wondered if she was a real person or not.

Yesterday was not a good day for me. I'm definitely still in the WAVERING stage. I was doing fine all day until I indulged in some late night eating-- so stupid because normally I'm not even awake at that time. Calories yesterday came in at about 2200 which is the highest I've been at. So today, no eating after dinner (not really my habit in general, although occasionally I get started with it). Yesterday I was kind of glum. It was pouring rain and I have come down with a cold. Today, it's sunny, and I'm feeling better. My mantra is success without kryptonite.

Diane I'm so happy that you are in the 230s. I want you to know that your posts really help me a lot. I always thinking of you and how you are sticking with it day after day without a whole lot of drama and it makes me feel like I can do it too! I have a belly flap issue (post 4 kids) and if I wear tight spandex workout pants it takes care of the flapping issue. I am a size 22 but I wear XL workout pants-- that's tight enough to keep the situation under control. Not sure if boobs are an issue for you, but I bought an enell sports bra after seeing it recommended on 3FC http://www.enell.com/enell-sport It made a huge difference for me. Bouncing boobs while running always slowed me down-- with the Enell they didn't move AT ALL. My old one is too small but I'm about to order a new one.

Lotus Sorry to hear that you had to go to a funeral. Kryptonite is awesome, but there MUST be a way for us to lose without being perfect all the time!

Martini Insightful response from you. I'm quite sure that for me there is a problem with something other than food and I don't know exactly what it is, but I do think that this restriction vs. binge issue is clearly at the core of my problem.

Jessica Thanks for your thoughtful response to my post. I think that some people can maintain Kryptonite for a long time and when you succeed in doing it, it feels almost effortless (that's why I named it Kryptonite) but there is something unnatural about living your life like that. That's why people who live with elaborate food rules so often seem to be somewhere on the Eating Disorder spectrum.

Laurie You are rocking size 16 pants and an XL shirt? That is absolutely awesome! If I passed you on the street, I'd think you were normal-sized! A fit 220 is a LOT better than an out-of-shape 275!!!!! Take a moment to enjoy how far you've come!

Jen Hope you are enjoying your time with your kids. 6 kids. I have 4 and 3 are more-or-less grown and I STILL feel busy.

Mandy You are doing GREAT with your 3 month anniversary! Keep up the good work!
  • Hi all!
    Well, did the run/walk on the treadmill today. It was pretty good, but still hard to do! I used an undergarment thing to control the belly flop, and that worked well. I think that I probably need to get some other workout pants at some point. The ones I have are just really loose. Those tighter ones would probably really work well for running. It seemed hot in the gym, so I felt like I was struggling a little. Step by step, hoping it gets better and better.

I looked at the scale today and it was still up from Monday's weight. Not going to panic since Monday's loss was so large. I might not see a loss this week while my body readjusts. I guess. My calories were adjusted on myfitnesspal, so I have less available, AND they calculate less calories burned on the exercises I do. Great. I know it is because I'm at a lower weight, but it is hard to see the calorie difference!!

Uber: That's interesting about RockinRobin. I knew her too, back in the day. Who knows what that was all about. As for the workout garments, I don't have to worry as much about boob floppage, but I do wear a heavy duty sports bra for running days. Hope today is going better for you, too!

Martini: Good, thoughtful post. I think you have some interesting thoughts there. It is amazing what our minds can do, both good and bad!

Jessica: Yep, good job with the measurements! I'll agree with Martini that you should definitely be proud of where you are now with your weight loss. We always want more, but give yourself credit for what you have done so far, too!

Mandy: Same thing for you, good job on the amount of weight you've lost so far! Nice!!!!

LaurieDawn: Well, hope you survived your lunch. Mine was pretty good and stayed on track. While I enjoyed seeing my friend for the most part, I was a little disappointed with the conversation. She wants to get back to going to the gym, but she has a huge list of excuses as to why she can't. She said that I'll have to push her to get her going. Hmm. No, I'm not doing that. You have to want to do it for yourself, and I really don't have the energy to try to push through your excuses. I know, I'm not being very supportive, but jeez!! I have enough to do with getting myself to the gym and taking care of what I need to do. Anyway......
  • Mandy...people can be really cruel...I am sorry you have had to deal with that Yesterday at the zoo some boy 2 times as big as my 3 year old pushed her down off a step...she fell and hit her head on the cement...I went to pick her up and the mom grabbed her son and ran....with three little kids I couldn't chase her down...but sometimes I really wonder wth is wrong with people?????

Jessica...I hate having no air...we bought this house and realized after it had no air so all summer I have dealt with that I hope it gets better and you will see the number so soon!!!!

Martini...that is so hard...I have really been struggling with that too...its hard to figure out why I have stayed overweight for 10 years....I would get so close and then fail...or get pregnant again...LOL anyway you are doing the right thing by searching for the reason...because I think that is what truly fixes the problems

Uber...thank you! Yes 6 kids is hard but 3 are teenagers 15 16 and 17 and 3 are 5 3 and 2....I really think the teenagers are harder than the little ones LOL!!!!

Diane....Great job on your running!!! I have been sticking to it too...I don't do it everyday but I want to work up to that! My weight loss is weird it always goes up on Mondays and then the loss happens at the end of the week...I don't get it....I would think it would be gradual when you are exercising and following a calorie deficit .....weird to me LOL
  • Hey maybe I am getting better at this writing stuff....LOL
  • Martini: Aw, thanks, Martini. There are a lot of things about being 220 (and losing 40 lbs) that are big for me. It's the most weight I've ever lost in one go. You know how when you regain, there is usually a "then some"? Being 220 means that I've officially lost all of my "then some" weight. I've still got a long way to go, but at this pace I'll soon, maybe by the end of the year, be entering that place where ever weight is a new low.

Also, it's funny how we can let weight become the central issue that we focus on even though it is often a side-effect rather than a cause.

Uber: I'm sorry yesterday was tough on you but I know that you're strong enough to not let it undermine all your hard work. I love that you're analyzing your patterns and coming to a deeper understanding about yourself, by the way.

Diane: Yay for controlling belly flop. Sorry the scale's being a little difficult. I know what you mean about tracking and seeing your calories burned keep dropping. XD There are days that I stare at the numbers and I'm like - I'm doing more why is it lower... Oh, yeah, because I'm lighter!

Jen: Thankfully the next few days aren't supposed to be too terribly hot. They are likely to be a bit sticky and humid though. I'll be sweating on my walks/runs more than normal but, at the same time, it'll be nice because if I'm sweating, it means I'm burning calories.

So. Good news. The scale was kind enough to me today that my average came out to 219.4 lbs! (Weights were between 220.2 & 218.8.) I'm taking it. I don't expect to see the scale move much over the next few days, I'll probably see the rest of this week's loss drop off on Saturday-ish. But I'm so happy to be able to put myself under the 220.0 mark. Here's to hoping it sticks.
  • Hey y'all.

Got all my moving stuff lined up, and now it's time to start packing. We went with PODS as our movers, and they'll be dropping off the container for us to load on the 28th, and picking it up to take to Indiana on Sept 2. So we have all of Labor Day weekend to load it up. Many thanks to the church for setting it up and paying for it.

Got dinner in the crock pot and it smells AMAZING. It's a whole chicken + lemon, garlic, and spices. I didn't have rosemary so I used Tastefully Simple Rustic Herb blend. Can't wait to try it later. It should be fairly light. It's just chicken, not really any extra added calories because it doesn't require any extra oil or butter to season it. Here's the recipe if you are interested:

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008...d-chicken.html

I'm sure this would also be delicious with chicken boobies, you'd just need to add a little liquid to the crock pot (maybe chicken broth? or white wine?) so the meat stays moist, since boobies tend to be a bit dry because they don't have much fat.

Need to plan my clothes for travels next week. Once that's planned out, I can pack up everything else to be loaded for the move (and then I can just use the clothes I wore for travels during the time left in town). Winter stuff, definitely can be packed. CDs/DVDs/books can be packed. Most of my kitchen can be packed. I think I'm gonna try to do mostly crock pot meals the last week, so I don't need pots/pans, and then it can be packed in one of our vehicles, and be unpacked for meals when we arrive.

Sorry, sort of brainstorming out loud.

Jessica - I don't know how you haven't taken your scale, strung it up over a tree branch like a pinata and whacked it repeatedly with a bat. I'd totally be going Office Space on a scale that was so wonky! Congrats on getting below 220. Also, I just want to give you a super big hug for actually GETTING IT. I was feeling like I was not properly expressing my feelings via text, in that I want to be involved, but I don't want my involvement to be expected. Actually, I've already discussed a thing I can start in the (hopefully near) future with the church. I want to do the C25K program, and maybe modify it to a 10-12 week program, and then do a "pew to 5k" thing with members of the congregation, and on the completion of the program, do an actual charity 5k with the group that participated (their choice). The congregation is very much involved with Relay for Life, so any cancer awareness 5k would probably be a great thing for them.

Jen - It's not so hard, the writing and responding. I'm kinda bad with hitting everyone in personals sometimes. Either I feel like I don't have anything constructive to say, or anything I might say has already been said, or I'm worried what I'm thinking to say might just sound stupid (I have some self esteem issues, shhh). It's not something you need to do all the time (it can be a bit time consuming, with so many people here, for sure), but it's a good way to acknowledge that you've read what's going on with everyone I guess. Don't stress it. Essays are not a requirement!

Diane - Sometimes those whooshes and subsequent mini-plateaus are a bit annoying! I get that around TOM. Lose nothing for a week, then whoosh it away. Then things even out for a week or so, then mini-plateau/whoosh phase again with ovulation. It's a little frustrating, but at least I know to expect it! Congrats on your running. Everyone who is getting back to running in this thread is making me really want to get started with it! Soon as I get settled and all joined up at the Y, I'm gonna find some seriously good cardio and get to it.

Uber - You can make it though this! Just a bump in the road. Whenever I am feeling like I'm ready to just say "eff it" and attach a bag of my favorite chips to my face like a horse's feeding bag... I remember why I'm doing this and the goals I have for myself, and it really helps me power through it. I've decided for 100 pounds, I'm getting a fancy new camera. I love my CoolPix, but I want something a little more involved than a point and shoot. My goal-weight reward? Photography lessons/classes. I'll be living in a beautiful area, going to a beautiful church, and there are lots of adorable babies and children around. I want to be able to capture them properly. It helps me. Maybe you can find a goal reward (tangible, or intangible) that can help you focus. You've got this.

LotusMama - Hi and welcome back! It's nice to see you posting again. I was wondering where you wandered off to. Sending will power vibes your way so you can get back on track 100% and hopefully give us some good news!

Martini - Weight loss certainly takes a lot of brain power. It's easy to get sucked into a frame of mind where it's the ONLY focus, and that way lies obsession and madness. Good luck with your relationship issues, and I hope you can get them sorted out in a way that works for everyone.

Goodness.

I initially intended this to be a quickie check in post, and it turned into a novel.

I hope you all are having a fantastic day!

P.S. I can't update my ticker! I think something's going on at the tickerfactory site, because I go to edit my info, and it takes me to the "create a new ticker" page, then when I try to select a slider, nothing happens, it just reloads the page.
  • Mandy, let us know how the crockpot chicken goes, will you? And I think the pew to 5k for a charity run is an awesome idea! I think part of the reason I haven't destroyed it is that, technically, it is my brother's scale and - secondly - I really don't have the extra money to spend on a new scale right now.
  • Jessica - The chicken basically fell apart. It was super tasty! One of the easiest crock pot recipes I've made. I might keep the skin on next time though, because the breast meat got a *little* dry. Not surprising, breast meat is generally more dry than dark meat. The lemons and garlic in the cavity really added a good flavor to the breast meat. Hubby and I both agree that this will be made again.
  • Just wanted to pop in and do a happy dance over my run today. I hit a new distance, just a small distance past from Monday's high. And then I ran lap two and didn't just hit my new new distance... I blew it out of the water. Twice! <3 Lap 2 and Lap 4, I hit the distance that I'd decided to use for Friday's goal. Needless to say, I'm pretty pleased
  • That's wonderful, Jessica!
  • Jessica - Look at you tearing up the running goals! That, and getting below 220. You're totally on fire!

Mandy - Packing and moving. Oof! I love your pew to 5K idea. Check you out - letting go of some of your selfishness and actually contributing to the congregation. (Tone is hard to read, so let me assure you I was only making fun of your online tormenter there. =) )

Martini - I love your baby thoughts. I have been thinking about them a lot. Can't wait to see where you are on our mutual trainer challenge.

Jen - Agree with Mandy. Much better to just post than feel like you have to respond to everyone. It can be exhausting. We all benefit from hearing of your challenges and your experience, and we all benefit from supporting you when you need support.

Diane - Yeah. That's pretty presumptuous of your friend to expect you to keep her on track with her exercise, especially when you'd have to fight through a mass of excuses to do so. Good for you for feeling no obligation to do so.

Uber - Been thinking about your comment about how I would look "normal" to you. It's odd how totally motivating that is. I am always looking to the next step, but 220 was a hard-fought goal, and I am really glad to be here. Still sending good vibes on your vacation challenges, but hope you're enjoying your trip and your family.

I read everyone's posts yesterday and had started my own when I got swept away in work responsibilities. I did actually punch through that rubber floor for my weigh-in yesterday morning, and excitedly changed my ticker to 219.4. But I ended up with a last-minute lunch with another attorney, and did not plan ahead nor mentally prepare, and I arrived at the restaurant hungry. And I enthusiastically ate the entire lunch portion of breaded orange chicken. And it was freaking delicious. I then walked for 3 miles and drank tons of water to counteract the sodium. I also lifted, since I am giving blood today and so will not be able to lift today. And was disappointed but not horrified when the scale bounced back up to 220.0 this morning. The only other thing I ate yesterday was four egg whites post-work-out.

Interestingly, I am really zen about all of this. One of the reasons I have not opted for weight loss surgery is that I want to be able to eat "normally" sometimes. I genuinely enjoyed my lunch--the taste, the texture, the chewing. I enjoyed the feeling of being full. I also enjoyed my walk with my friend, which was more social than "real" exercise. And I went to the gym and pushed myself on the weights. I don't believe I did any damage to my weight loss efforts, as I know the calories in that lunch portion, added to the 68 calories of egg whites, did not equal sufficient calories for me to gain weight. I feel pretty good about how I look in clothes (thanks again for the boost there, Uber), and most days, my plan is pretty easy to maintain. I'm ready to try that patience thing again, Mandy, and just stay the course until the scale cooperates. =)
  • This is going to be short. I don't have a lot to say. I didn't go to workout this morning because my legs just feel so tired and sore today. I just didn't have it in me to do all the squats and lunges. But, on the other hand, I feel like I missed a large part of my day. It just seems strange that I didn't go. Hmm. I think it was the right choice, but still doesn't feel right.

Busy at work, so I better get back at it.
  • Diane - I can totally relate to that feeling. On the occasion where I have to cut my workout short because my body just isn't in a place to handle it, I always feel a little sad and disappointed. It's how I felt the other day when my calves just wouldn't let me make it through more than half my walk/run. So glad they were back on par yesterday so I could hit new distances.

Laurie - Embrace the zen! One day of indulgence isn't going to undo all the hard work you've put in. You know that and I'm glad that the small bounce isn't psyching you out. Given what you've said, I'd hazard a guess that it is strictly water weight. Even taking in extra water to counter-act the sodium, that sodium is still likely to play a contributing role. Especially depending on just how much sodium was in the meal. Don't worry, you're going to wake up on the other side of the 220 rubber floor in no time.

Scale showed 216.8 lbs, 220.6 lbs and 218.2 lbs bringing today's average in at 218.6 lbs. It's unofficial for today. Hopefully it'll still be there tomorrow and I can record it then. Got a full 8 hours at work (plus 1.5 hrs - 2 hrs of driving to get there and home). It's going to be a long night so thank goodness it's a rest day. All I have to do is get Luna's walk in. And shower. Oh, and hopefully have time to cook something for me to take for dinner rather than eating something pre-packaged. So much to do...
  • Jessica - I logged in specifically to see if you had posted your weight. I was rooting for you to be below 220, and I am living vicariously through you. Yay for even the highest weight being just above 220, and the lowest weight all the way down to 216.8. (Again, your scale would drive me batty! You're awesome to take it in stride.) Tomorrow, the scale will have better news for me. Cuz c'mon. How many times can I weight precisely 220.0? Especially when I weighed that much on the 10th, and have calorie deficits every day since then? (My 'indulgence' yesterday did not take me above my resting daily caloric requirements to maintain, and my exercise created an even bigger deficit.)