I ate Lean Ground Beef instead of Extra Lean Ground Beef. Did I mess up?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I wanted to buy organic ground beef earlier today to make a Big Mac in a bowl for dinner tonight. The organic ground beef was only 90% lean, which means it was labeled "Lean" and not "Extra Lean". Extra lean ground beef is at least 95% lean.

Did this 5% of fat difference screw up my effort to lose weight? I'm on Day 5 of the program.
  • I doubt you'll see much one-time short0term impact. It's not like you had a carb/sugar cheat. But try to keep the fat down and stay on protocol, at least for the first few months. Bottom line, no biggie.
  • No, and in fact every once in awhile a slight bump up of fat intake from a nice steak or 90% ground beef can actually give your loss a little boost!
  • No, you didn't!

I even sometimes eat pork ribs and still lose a huge amount of weight.
  • Piggybacking on this post - how often are we allowed to eat things like hamburger/steak? It doesn't mention limiting it - but if I want it 3-4 nights a week, is that too much?
  • Quote: Piggybacking on this post - how often are we allowed to eat things like hamburger/steak? It doesn't mention limiting it - but if I want it 3-4 nights a week, is that too much?
    nope!
    The carbs are the thing to watch like a hawk
  • There is no place where it says the beef has to be extra lean.
  • Quote: nope!
    The carbs are the thing to watch like a hawk
    Thank you!!!
  • Quote: There is no place where it says the beef has to be extra lean.
    The Phase 1 sheet I have says "ground beef (extra-lean)", and I'm pretty sure I have the newest sheet... someone correct me if I'm wrong.

That being said, I don't know if that extra 5% fat would hinder weight loss.
  • When I have ground beef it is 93% lean and ground turkey I get 90%
  • The clinic I go to says red meat you should limit to twice a week, salmon once a week... everything else, fair game. But every clinic has different rules...
  • I'm jumping in here with a related question so I hope no one minds - not trying to hijack the thread or anything!

My sheet says red tuna and salmon should be limited to 1x week. What about white tuna? I'm assuming that's unlimited?
  • My sheet doesn't say anything about limiting red meat (thank goodness cause I have it 3-5 times a week).
  • I'm in Jamaica and we have 1 kind of meat.. There no percentages or anything just one kind. Ground Beef.. I have it about once a week a girl can only have so much chicken
  • Why is salmon only 1x a week? It's so good!