I hate winter!

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • I hate the dark, I hate the cold, I hate the windchill!

It's so damn cold here right now, I could key cars with my nipples!

Thankfully I'm not in any DNA data base, not that I'll be out dragging the girls across car doors, just saying.

I don't have a point other than I hate the cold and the wind chill and the dark long days.
  • I totally agree! i'm always cold so the winter just chills me to the bone and I never get warm....I don't mind the dark but I hate the snow and the cold...

i'm born and raised in Alaska and spent the first 25ish years up in the Interior where winters dropped regularly to 60 below zero...then when I was 18 I moved to the snow capital of the state where we got more than 300 inches of snow each winter

down here in southeast Alaska, it's much better in terms of snow and cold but i'm STILL always cold
  • Add me to the list. I don't have it as bad as some do, but I still don't like it. I lived in a small mountain town in Colorado (at 10,000 feet elevation) and had 8 long years of heavy snow and cold winters.

Reminds me of a line from the song "What is Christmas" by Trans Siberian Orchestra...

"The reason for Christmas, I now realize, is an excuse to tolerate snow! Snow..... I don't even like the sound of it!"
  • I like winter fine, I just hate the dark. I end up getting SAD by mid-season.
  • Born and raised in the South, I would never make it anywhere further north. I hear there are people who actually *like* the cold????? It starts to drop below 40 and I get grumpy. I just lay low until I hear birds singing and see flower buds.
  • HATE winter too.
  • Another hater! (shcirerf, at you keying cars) Hate putting my motorcycle away for almost 4 months hate that daily life is just more danged difficult, and everything takes longer, when the landscape is locked in snow and ice. And the loss of sunlight...aaaarrrghghghghhg!!!!!! At the worst, the sun dips behind a mountain right by us at 3:02 pm and the shadows start then.

p.s. I bought an electric throw and I look forward to crawling into bed with that more than, hmm, how about Hugh Jackman
  • I hate getting up in the dark and getting home from work in the dark. I hate the constant threats of "the worst storm ever" with every single day's forecast. Either it will be snow or freezing rain or freezing cold... blah blah and although it is only really two or three months... it feels like FOREVER!! Sometimes I really wonder why I live here.
  • I prefer the cold to sweltering heat, because it's easier to warm up than it is to cool down (at least for me). That being said, some days I just can't get warm no matter what. Hubby and are in a basement apartment so it's always a lot cooler down here than it is on the upper level of the house. I was laughing so hard at your nips Shcirerf.
  • I miss the "fat insulation" benefits from my old weight!!! I was just wondering WHY the other day I survived this long with this thin coat I've had since I was a teen - a cheapo terrible coat. Then I remembered that I had the greatest heater of all - excess fat LOL
  • I see one major benefit to winter - it kills off the really obnoxious bugs, which makes the other seasons really great. I learned to hate it a little less when I found my LLBean ankle-length down coat. So what if it looks like I'm wearing a sleeping bag outside? At least I can now go outside! And much to my delight, rechargeable heated mittens have finally been created. I have informed my family that they WILL get me a pair for Christmas.
  • As long as I don't have to go out, I really don't mind winter. Coffee, tea, soup, candles, the fire... they are all good! It also helps that we moved "south" from New England, and the winters are much more tolerable now.
  • Another thing is when it gets this cold I just want to eat. I'm not even hungry. Just cold but if I let myself I could eat and eat and eat.
  • Quote: Another thing is when it gets this cold I just want to eat. I'm not even hungry. Just cold but if I let myself I could eat and eat and eat.
    I get like that too...I think my brain has its signals all messed up...i eat when i'm cold instead of recognizing that I'm cold and warming up....i eat when i'm stressed instead of recognizing that i'm stressed....i eat to relax at the end of the day instead of putting on slippers and getting out a good book...stuff like that...i'm really trying to be mindful of what i REALLY AM instead of just eating something to "fix it"
  • I am freezing. The only time I am warm is when I'm exercising and I hear you about wanting to eat. I think it is instinct to try and fuel the fire!! I wear so many clothes in the house I look polar bearish.