Post-Exercise Ouch!

• Every Sunday, I take part in a Western European Martial Arts class that focuses on swordsmanship. Yesterday was the first day I was actually allowed to fight a classmate (we've been doing basics and getting to this point for months). Normally, I am a little sore for a day or two after class but nothing major, but yesterday I got to use muscles that I didn't even know I had. Man, am I ever sore! It was a lot of fun, but today my legs and butt are so sore I don't even want to walk the dog for too long! How do you guys deal with post-exercise pains? What's the best way to minimize the hurt?
  • I had a big workout today, and by this evening, I'm starting to really feel it. What I usually do is drink plenty of water and eat plenty of protein. Can't ever entirely prevent the soreness. I just choose to redefine the soreness as evidence that I worked hard and am building muscle.

A good stretch, putting pressure on my sore spots by laying on a foam roller, a massage, soaking in a tub with Epsom salt. It all works.
  • I used to get very sore shinbones and shin splints after jumping rope. One of my friends said that her chiro told her that if ever anything is sore to rub it and keep rubbing it until it isn't sore anymore, I tried this and I found my hurts recovered much quicker. Hot baths helped too.
  • I think warm baths with epsom salts might work. Feel better!
  • I-Buprofen and a hot bath works great. After a good work out--before I go to bed I take them--it reduces the pain and swelling. But pain is to be expected when you're working muscles that haven't been worked in a while.

• Ibprofen is my friend on those days, but I actually find the best way is to get back into exercising the next day. If I skip a day or two, I am sore longer than if I stay active. I always feel better after another workout - just be sure not to over do it.