Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 07:59 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Default May Exercise: Spring into A Habit

Welcome!

...To the May exercise thread! We're trying to make exercise a habit and give ourselves some accountability!

In this thread, we're setting the number of MINUTES we want to exercise for the month -- whether it's walking or swimming or housework!

We're also tracking how many minutes we have exercised as a group!

Please first post your goals and then add your minutes (for yourself and the group) and get some support and accountability!

If you want to join us during the month -- GREAT! Just let us know how many minutes you want to exercise in what's left of the month!
Old 04-28-2006, 09:35 AM   #2  

Height: 5' 7"

You're right - both mine and my husband's doctor say that exercise is the best drug you can give yourself.

Let's see - two water aerobics classes @ 55 mins per week - 440 minutes, plus 2 half hours on the recombant bike - 60 mins per week - 320 minutes, plus at least one hour per week lap swimming - 320 minutes

Good heavens, 1080 minutes per month?

Okay, let's give it a shot.

Sue
Old 04-28-2006, 10:15 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

I'm going to try again for the 800 minutes. I failed in April, because I didn't exercise nearly all month...but I'm just going to TRY AGAIN!
Old 04-28-2006, 08:04 PM   #4  
Because I deserve it!

S/C/G: 315.4/311/165

Height: 5'11"

I am not going to make my goal either. I let work obligations and being down because of it keep me from being vigilant at getting my 30 minutes in. I will set my goal for 600 again this month and try to do better this time!
Old 04-28-2006, 08:21 PM   #5  
South Beach Life Style

240 minutes here Wyllen
Old 04-28-2006, 08:28 PM   #6  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

I want to try and go just a bit more than last month, so I am going to say 1300 minutes. I need to be careful because I am going on vacation for a week this month and I have no idea how that is going to effect my exercise schedule.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:46 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

Way to GO, Nancy! You're kicking BUTT in the exercise department!!!
Old 04-29-2006, 04:11 AM   #8  
Learning to love myself.

I'm going to give myself another month at 1800 mins. I would LOVE to set my target higher, and I am going to be over 2000 this month, but I don't want to push myself just yet. I know that doesn't sound as though I'm challenging myself, but I think that I am still hesitant after making myself sick with over-exercising, so I want to learn to listen more to my body for another month before committing it to anything more. 1800 gives me an average of 60 mins a day (30 mins on treadmill and 30 mins on bike). I have a rest day once a week, but that can be taken up with the three or four 20 minute sessions on the home gym a week. If I do daily fitness with the kids that will be a bonus, and if I walk with hubby that will be a bonus, but I don't want to commit to those as they don't always get to happen.

So... after once again going on and on... my goal is for 1800 minutes.

I hope we can encourage some more people to come and join us. I wish they could see the benefits that it has to report in here and also to receive encouragement and support.

Nancy - The BEST thing to do on a vacation is walk! You get to see more AND you get to add up your minutes. You may find you do more minutes then than usual. You have done REALLY well for April.

Kayley - You are SO close to reaching your goal this month that even if you don't quite make it, you definitely don't need to beat yourself up about it. You had some hard times and you STILL exercised, even though it may not have been as often or as hard. You still showed commitment.

Sue - It certainly quickly adds up, doesn't it? It sounds as though you get quite the variety in. I am pretty boring with what I do. I would LOVE to swim, but I really am not game enough to wear a bathing costume. Just too much loose skin to scare the world with at the moment.

Wyllen - Thank you for setting up this thread each month. I can't wait to hear about your 'idea' for motivation (or something like that) that you mentioned on the main thread. I'm sure it will be a good one and I would love to help out in any way I can.

Great goal setting everyone!

Take care,

Zelma
Old 04-29-2006, 10:57 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 357/see tracker/150

Height: 5'2"

I'm back and I'm going to make the 1200 minutes this month! I don't care--I'm doing it or I'm going to cry.

Good luck everyone!
Old 04-29-2006, 07:24 PM   #10  
Working it out...

Height: 5"8

Default super girl!!!!

Well, my goal for April was 1440 minutes. As of today's workout, I'm 119 minutes short. I have no plans to do any exercise tomorrow as Sundays are my rest days. Though it may happen that I do go out for a walk or something. Even if I don't exercise tomorrow, and eventhough I didn't meet my goal, I already have worked out 321 minutes (5:31 hours) more this month than last, so, I'm declaring April a victorious month.

I'm not exactly sure why, but I'm not getting myself to the gym. I think principally cuz I'm feeling emotionally raw and being at the gym feels exposing. So, I've created my workouts for May to be home-friendly. Perhaps I can hit the gym in June, after I have found a new job and have some distance from my ex.

Also, I've been doing some more reading and research on improving fitness faster. So, I've design my workouts to reflect my new understanding. So, here we go!

Cheers for a kicka** May!!!!

May Goals:

Aerobics - 1300 minutes
Mondays
what: Bike
duration: 60 minutes
focus: wind sprints

Wednesdays
duration: 30 minutes
focus: highest intensity possible

Friday
duration: 95 minutes
focus: endurance

Saturdays
what: Bike or go hiking or dancing
duration: 60 minutes
focus: have fun!
in addition to above 60-min, I am taking that 1.5 hour dance class in the City every Sat. this month.

Tuesdays and Thursdays
what: walking outdoors
duration: starting at 30-min per walk, finish month by doing 40-min walks
focus: proper form so that I don't hurt my knee
Weight Training - 240 minutes
Tuesdays and Thursdays
what: dumbell exercises using the stability ball as a bench
duration: 30 min each session
focus - overall body conditioning
starting weight - 5 lbs, 1 set, 8 reps
Goal - 10 lbs, 2 sets, 8 reps each
# - BodyPart - Exercise
1 - pecs -- bench press
2 - upper/lower lats -- hand-on-bench dumbell rowing
3 - front delt -- seated palms-in dumbell press
4 - traps -- shoulder shrug
5 - rear delts -- seated bent-over rear raise
6 - biceps -- seated concentrated curl
7 - triceps -- seated dumbell curl
8 - upper abs -- heel-high sit-ups
9 - obliques -- dumbbell side bend
10 - lower abs -- leg pull-in
11 - obliques/lower bk -- bend to opposite foot
12 - hams and butt -- hip bridge on ball
13 - hams and butt -- hamstring press on ball
14 - inner thighs/hams -- wide-stance leg press
15 - upper thighs -- ball squat
16 - calves -- standing one-legged raise
17 - forearms (outer) -- palm-down wrist curl
18 - forearms (inner) -- palm-up wrist curl
Old 04-29-2006, 08:17 PM   #11  
learning to live

S/C/G: 443/270/200

Height: 5'0"

I'm going to make my goal, but barely, and only because I've really pushed myself this last week. I don't want to push myself this hard next time around, because I'm really starting to feel the effects and I just don't want to injure myself and take myself out of commission.

So, I'm going to stick to my 600 minute goal for May. Only, this time, I'm actually going to exercise more than 2 weeks out of the month :P
Old 04-29-2006, 11:27 PM   #12  

ZedAus -
I'm not the biggest women in my water aerobics class, or in the lap pool, either for that matter.
I'm scared of the loose skin, but I'm a ways from there yet.

Sue
Old 04-30-2006, 09:21 PM   #13  

Hi all -- Good going so far, and one or two new faces. I think we are low in numbers from early this year, but I think that the new year brings a lot of people with resolutions...

I have been scarce on the boards because this has been a busy month, and May looks to be just as busy. I'm going to keep my goal of 30 minutes/day -- right now that IS a challenge for me, and that's the important part for me.

So, 30 min a day is 930 minutes for me!!

But look out in June, I'll be busting out exercise all over!
Old 04-30-2006, 11:00 PM   #14  

Default A New Exercise Challenge!

Okay, I was going to wait until tomorrow, but Maria Lucia blamed me for getting her to excercise (WHEEEE!!!) and I decided to roll out the new challenge now! I posted this in the 300+ thread:

----------------------------

I would like to announce a new exercise Challenge. HEY, where's a drumroll smilie when you need one????

It's really a continuation of our existing challenge, but maybe it will get a few more people out to exercise!

I would like to announce the 100K Minute Challenge. Yes, as in 100,000 minutes. Yes, that just over 1666 hours, or just over 69 days -- nearly 7 weeks of exercise. 6 million seconds if you prefer.

Yes, I challenge our group of 300+ ladies to exercise for 100,000 minutes this year. The good news is, we don't have to start from scratch. Oh my, no. Here is where we are already:

January: 9418 minutes
February: 11,129 minutes
March: 15,917 minutes
April: 10,700 minutes (so far)

So far: 47,164 minutes.

The question is not IF we can make it. The question is how early in the year we can get there.

Ammi asked if she needed to set a monthly goal to post in the exercise challenge. I think it would be great if you would, but it's not required. I think the only rule should be that we start today and move forward. No need to go back and add old minutes (and who needs em anyway???)

So, who's with us??? Just add 20 minutes here and there, as Maria Lucia said, and we will all get there together!

Here's how it will work: just as before. Post your minutes, add to the monthly total. I'll track the minutes by month until we get to the 100k!!

I haven't decided if we should have a separate thread, but I don't think its necessary. I'll post the updates in each Monthly thread...

So, what do you all think????
Old 05-01-2006, 12:30 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 351/286/140

Height: 5'6"

Hi Ladies...is it May already??? Ok I did not make my goal in April BUT that is the most exercise I have done all year! I am starting to like it! oops did I say that? hehehe Anyhow summer is here in Arizona and its getting into the 3 digits..100 degrees and that is where I shine. I love swimming!!!

I LOVE this new 100K challenge!! I think it is wonderful. And I get to be part of it..yeah!!

I think I will keep the same goal as last month... 500 minutes for me!
Closed Thread