Question on aches from running

• My current weight is 280 lbs and I recently started an exercise program to help with my weight loss. This week I incorporated alternated walking/jogging into my workout and I'm starting to feel aches in my entire midsection. I carry the majority of my weight in my butt, hips, and stomach. I can definitely feel the "jiggle" of this weight as I'm jogging and I'm thinking that this soreness/aching is from the movement. Does anyone have any suggestions on stretches that can help minimize this?
  • If you aren't used to working your core, I wonder if your abs are feeling the workout? I know that I twist my torso when I run, so I could possibly see those muscles being a little sore.

As for how to relieve it, I would do core exercises to strengthen those muscles.

Unless it is cramps as opposed to soreness? For me, relieving cramps means slowing down what I am doing for the duration of the exercise and balancing drinking water with not drinking it too close to a workout.
  • i'd agree with what Andrea said - it could be that your core is getting a workout too. I know that I used to feel it in my middle when I first started running, especially when I was walking to good music and thus had a more "wiggly"/dance-y gait.
  • Hi!

I get aches in my ribs too when i run if i havent done it for a while. dont worry, keep at it, the aches will soon stop once your muscles get used to this new movement. the GREAT thing is it really helps to shrink down your waist and belly as well as all the usual benefits of running (from my own experience).
    I would also second doing core exercises to help train these muscles in my opinion the best and easiest is number 3 here - russian twists http://running.competitor.com/2012/0...unners_41874/4
    i do it without the ball as i dont have one, a dumbell works just as well if you have one.

Dont be disheartened, you CAN do anything you put your mind to!
  • I'm pretty middle-heavy, and when I started running last summer, it was my skin and connective tissue in my belly that would ache. I got a couple compression tanks on sale, and they made a big difference. Fair warning - they're not easy to get out of once you're all sweaty.

I got Champion brand on sale at Target, but I'm sure they're fairly easy to find.

And it could be your ab muscles, too.
  • Agreed. Try compression tops or tights/pants to manage some of the belly jiggle. If Target doesn't have anything to suit, try Junonia.com or MovingComfort.com.
  • When you're running/walking you are also using core muscles in your abs--that is what you may be feeling. Skin usually doesn't ache but muscles sure can--if they haven't been used in a while.
  • Thanks everyone. I'm going to try those compression tanks and work on my core as well.