I gained ten pounds, but I look the same. Normal?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Since December, I gained ten pounds. (I know.) I'm going to lose it, I'm not concerned about that.

I'm just confused, because I don't look different than how I did in December. My tight skinny jeans still fit, I look the same in pictures, etc.

It got me to thinking- is ten pounds distributed throughout your entire body such a minimal change? Because I basically look the same.

Thanks!
  • Yeah, you might not notice ten pounds but you probably would twenty based on your size.

I might not notice twenty, based on my size, but I would certainly notice forty!

As for distribution this depends. I'm a guy so it's all on my belly and face. From the waist down I'm a perfect ten!

You can of course add weight through muscle. Some of it could be water as well.
  • I think it's all an individual thing. After I lost 8lbs I looked like a different person, because I gain and lose in my face first. You may stay proportional with your gains?
  • I notice 5lbs. and I'm a good bit heavier than you! If I gained/lost 10lbs., I would have to buy new pants. I've lost 8lbs. since I started again in January and I get loads of comments about how different I look and I'm back in a size 8.
  • Idk! I notice even 3 lbs at this weight, in either direction. My pants get seriously tight if I go up a few. In the high 140s I was a solid size 8, high 130s I'm a 4 to 6. It's very individual!

I can't speak for normal though, I'm really not normal in any sense of the word!
  • Gees. You featherweights are super-sensitive to the lbs! 3lbs is the difference between going to bed and the morning weigh-in for me! Or, God forbid, a trip to the restroom!
  • At my size, I'm able to gain or lose at least 20 before noticing! And to be honest, having lost 25 so far, my clothes don't fit any loser except maybe a little in the butt. If I didn't know the scale said I was losing, Im not sure I would have noticed!
  • Quote: Gees. You featherweights are super-sensitive to the lbs! 3lbs is the difference between going to bed and the morning weigh-in for me! Or, God forbid, a trip to the restroom!
    I generally have a 2lbs. swing overnight, but that's why I only weigh in first thing in the morning after I've used the bathroom!
  • I notice like a lb and im 196lbs and 5'7 . I carry most of my weight on my love handles on the front of my stomach so I notice a lb right away cause I will look bloated there. If I get my TOM or eat too much salt I notice I'm larger there. But it works the other way too if I lose a lb its noticeable cause its most likely from that region. everywhere else on my body the weight is very evened out so I dont notice loses or gains from those areas.
  • Quote: I notice like a lb and im 196lbs and 5'7 . I carry most of my weight on my love handles on the front of my stomach so I notice a lb right away cause I will look bloated there. If I get my TOM or eat too much salt I notice I'm larger there. But it works the other way too if I lose a lb its noticeable cause its most likely from that region. everywhere else on my body the weight is very evened out so I dont notice loses or gains from those areas.
    Ditto. It's all about my love handles. It's great when I'm going down, but not good when I'm reaining water.
  • Quote: Dito. It's all about my love handles. It's great when I'm going down, but not good when I'm reaining water.
    if thats you in your avatar picture you have my exact body shape lol
  • Quote: Gees. You featherweights are super-sensitive to the lbs! 3lbs is the difference between going to bed and the morning weigh-in for me! Or, God forbid, a trip to the restroom!
    LOL! Speaking more of morning-to-morning weight, not morning-to-night weight. I definitely fluctuate a good 3-4 pounds from morning to night, but if that official morning weight is up 3 pounds, that's when I feel it!
  • I don't think I look any different 10 pounds up. But I didn't think I look any different 50 pounds up, either, for that matter. Body dysmorphia plays a huge roll for me.
  • I lose and gain evenly throughout my entire body and I am also an hourglass. I will not notice a 10lb difference either way. I've lost over 20 this time around so far and I barely notice a difference in my pants. Last time I lost 37lbs and I only went from a 15 to a comfortable 13, tight 11.
  • I had gotten down to my rock-bottom weight for my wedding. After the honeymoon and a few months of married life, I had put 10 back on, but my clothes still seemed OK and I thought I looked fine. Then I remember being at the gym one day at an aerobics class and catching a glance of someone in the mirror and thinking, oh, those leggings are not a good look for that woman. That woman was me. Apparently the 10 lbs. were all in my butt.