A Solution for Measuring Fat vs Muscle when you are on Alternatives

• Yesterday, in a very heated discussion (not gonna even go there), a question was posed about how people on alternatives could measure fat vs muscle if they aren't weighing on with a coach.

It's quite simple: a Tanita scale (http://www.amazon.com/Tanita-BC554-I...ta+scale+bc554)

I purchased this one (even though I'm still seeing my coach) because I'm so numbers oriented and one day I won't be with my coach. I'd like to maintain and know that I'm keeping my muscle intact. This scale does everything my coachs scale does except provide BMI (which I can calculate with a BMI calculator) and % of Obesity.

You can also review a comparison chart of Tanita Personal scales to see which one might better fit your needs: http://www.tanita.com/en/personal/mo...parison-chart/

These scales are relatively inexpensive considering the money you are saving if you're purchasing alternatives.
  • My coach never measured my body fat on anything. So I never had any idea as to my fat vs. muscle comparison.

I was just weighed on an old doctor's office scale and measured with a little sewing tape measure...that was it. Yeah, she was pretty useless.

This is very good to know. I think I'll look into getting one of these!
  • I purchased this one: http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Preci...eatsmart+scale

A little cheaper, it's actually the same one they use at my clinic, looking forward to keeping myself on track once I hit maintenance!
  • Quote: My coach never measured my body fat on anything. So I never had any idea as to my fat vs. muscle comparison.

I was just weighed on an old doctor's office scale and measured with a little sewing tape measure...that was it. Yeah, she was pretty useless.

This is very good to know. I think I'll look into getting one of these!
    Well that sucks! Good thing you aren't going there anymore.
  • I know from past posts that several of us have an Omron full body composition sensor machine. Like the ones seen here:

http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HBF-514C.../dp/B0020MMCDE

This is what I've been using ever since starting the diet and switching over to alternatives. It may not be 100% foolproof but the trend in the numbers tell me how I'm doing through the weeks, and I consider it accurate enough for my purposes.
  • Quote: I know from past posts that several of us have an Omron full body composition sensor machine. Like the ones seen here:

http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HBF-514C.../dp/B0020MMCDE

This is what I've been using ever since starting the diet and switching over to alternatives. It may not be 100% foolproof but the trend in the numbers tell me how I'm doing through the weeks, and I consider it accurate enough for my purposes.
    That's what I use too. I found it well recommended on this forum. As you said, it might not be totally accurate, but it does let you track trends. It's great for my needs.
  • I use a home scale and a sewing tape to measure. Old school and cheap!
  • Here's the thing.

Those scales may be able to show you certain trends when it comes to body fat, only because they use the same formula to calculate lean mass and body fat every time.

BUT....the numbers aren't necessarily accurate. In fact, there really isn't a commercially available scale out there that will give you a TRULY accurate measurement of body fat and lean mass. The calipers your doctor uses in the office are actually more accurate than the scales.

If you want a TRULY accurate measurement of body fat/lean mass you need to look into a water displacement test or a DEXA scan.

This is why I just bought a regular scale from Wal Mart and a tape measure. My doc uses the calipers when I go in for my checkups.
  • Quote: Here's the thing.

Those scales may be able to show you certain trends when it comes to body fat, only because they use the same formula to calculate lean mass and body fat every time.

BUT....the numbers aren't necessarily accurate. In fact, there really isn't a commercially available scale out there that will give you a TRULY accurate measurement of body fat and lean mass. The calipers your doctor uses in the office are actually more accurate than the scales.

If you want a TRULY accurate measurement of body fat/lean mass you need to look into a water displacement test or a DEXA scan.

This is why I just bought a regular scale from Wal Mart and a tape measure. My doc uses the calipers when I go in for my checkups.
    Agreed - I think those of us who use these scales are aware of that and just using them for the 'trending' results month to month. Plus, I find it motivating to see the various readings change (in the right direction) from month to month! I use a tape for measuring my waist, etc., from time to time too - and occasionally just use the weight feature on the Omron - but being able to monitor these other readings has been interesting and I know it has helped keep me focused.

I read elsewhere a few months ago about the DEXA scan being the best alternative and wish there was a fitness club in my city that offers one - but there isn't. So I'm happy enough for now, just knowing the overall trends are going in the right direction with my Omron. I find it very motivating to be able to look back and review the movements in those readings over the months.