HELP! PHASE 1 exercising too much causing no weight loss??

• Hello! This is my first post here and I hope to bring more in the future. I have a small question/problem. I am on day 4 of phase one in the SB diet. So far I have been eating very healthy(chicken/lettuce salad/egg almost every meal). I have been exercising an hour or so everyday(for 2 weeks) before starting this diet and while on the diet.

The type of exercise I have been doing is kickboxing and aqua aerobics. I am 137 lbs. Ever since I started the diet my body looks a little bit different due to the exercise, but I have not lost any significant weight at all.

Should I not exercise at all during phase 1? Would that help me lose weight? I feel like this is starting to feel pointless doing this SB diet as I see absolutely no difference to my weight or body. I am almost tempted to go back to eating rice again(I am Korean, so this diet is A LOT harder for me as I usually eat a lot of rice.)

I had tried Adkins about 4 years ago and I remember losing A LOT of weight(about 15-18 lbs) during phase 1. However, I was a little bit chubbier(150 lbs). But I only did adkins for about 3 months and stopped and settled at 140 for the past 3-4 years while eating very unhealthy(only recently went down to 137.)

I wanted to try SB diet because I have high cholesterol and am pre-diabetic so a fatty adkins diet was a big NO NO for me... but any advice on how to lose some weight would be greatly appreciated.

(I am drinking about 8-10 500 ml water bottles a day)
  • Hemy, it sounds silly but I doubt that you are eating enough. Could you post a day's menu? The revised version of South Beach has changed the foodlist slightly. You now should be eating beans and dairy. This is not Atkins but a good carb diet. It is also recommended that you not exercise during Phase I. Do you have the book?

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sbd-...ay-2008-a.html is the link to the revised list. The additions are in green print.
  • I agree with Ruth - can you post a menu?

In 4 days, you might not notice a huge difference if you only have 10 pounds in total to lose. This is a lifestyle change, not just a quick fix. SBD helps you eat healthier overall.

Exercise is fine. I always retain water when I exercise though so I don't notice a huge drop but for the end of the month when my body adjusts (I have a lot more to lose than you).

Please come back and post a menu for us.
  • Yes.
    So breakfast is:
    7-9 am (depending on what time I wake up)
    3 egg whites
    3 cups of salad(baby lettuce)
    homemade dressing with cilantro, garlic, ginger, balsamic vinegar, olive oil (I use about 3-4 tablespoons I know it says to use 2 tbsp but I just can't)

snack around 11 am- 5-10 almonds or cashews

Lunch 1 pm
    2 chicken breasts
    homemade dressing (2-4 tbsp)

snack
    1/4 block of tofu with sesame oil and soy sauce

dinner 5-7 pm
    2 chicken breasts
    2 egg whites
    3 cup salad(baby lettuce)
    homemade dressing or caesar salad(with only 1 g of carb)

Snacks: low fat string cheese, fudgcicle

Other days
    Breakfast:
    half a block of tofu with sesame oil+soy sauce

Lunch
    Salmon
    ceasar dressing

Snack:string cheese, fudgcicle

Dinner
    2-3 chicken breast
    1-3 egg whites
    3 cup of salad
    homemade dressing

I am thinking maybe you are right, maybe I am not eating enough??? OR I am eating WAY too much tofu? I am eating WAY more than 1/2 a cup.... It's more like 2 cups each serving sometimes even more(I'm Korean so I love korean tofu soups and once in a while still eat it) I drink about 8-10 500 ml bottles of water a day too.

I also do NOT eat many dairy products(only 1-2 string cheeses a day) and I have not eaten any beans at all....And no I do not have the book....