I hate Real Salt :(

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • It tastes gritty... Like there is dirt in my food... Makes my skin crawl and I'm worried about chipping a tooth. Is there any other sea salt that is officially OK to use?
  • Have you tried Himalayan salt? It's pink and is supposed to be healthy. I get mine at the health food store. I hope that helps!
  • Do you find the himalayan salt to be gritty?
  • I have the same issue as well. I sometimes feel like I am chewing little rocks. My salt is almost gone and I need to replace it soonish but am hoping I don't need the same one.
  • Totally agree! What is the advantage to using this salt rather than kosher? It was never explained to me...
  • Have you thought of using a salt grinder to make it smaller? I have not so I am not sure if this would work, just a suggestion.
  • Thanks for the idea of salt grinder but that really wouldn't work--the salt is very fine--it just has stuff other than salt in it and that makes it taste like sand.
  • I don't find the himalayan salt to be gritty at all, but maybe I'm just not noticing so I can't promise anything. The nice thing about our health food store is if you don't like something, you can return it with no questions asked. I hope you find something you enjoy.
  • Do you have a mortar/pestle? (can't remember iffen you do or not)
    I wonder if pulverizing the he!! out of it would help. muah.
  • I am doing IP alternatives, but I buy finely ground sea salt at the supermarket- not sure what advantage these other brands would have, but I experience no grittiness at all.
  • Aaaand.... my BFF, ladies & gentlemen! (Welcome to 3FC Mei!)

I do--but it won't help. Bleah. I'm going to try the Himalayan salt.
  • Quote: Thanks for the idea of salt grinder but that really wouldn't work--the salt is very fine--it just has stuff other than salt in it and that makes it taste like sand.
    Those are minerals & they are good for us.
    Remember "drink your milk?"
    Well, use your salt! LOL

Maybe you can find places to sneak it in where it doesn't bother you as much and use the Himalayan pink salt for when salt will be more prominent?
  • My coach told me that the Real Salt has a variety of minerals that we need, in addition to regular salt. Personally, I like it and am frustrated that I can't find it at a regular grocery store. I picked up the Himalayan Pink Salt at Costco, and they also have a regular white Sea Salt - those contain trace minerals, I believe, so they may be a workable substitute for you.
  • As Dr. OZ says "salt is salt" there is no difference btwn sea and every other type. Read up on it and see what all of the doctors say. its pretty interesting
  • Use a blender/food processor to turn it to dust? We did that before IP to use on popcorn and it worked great!