Calcium and kidney stones?

• Anyone have any issues with kidney stones on IP? I recently had lab work done that indicates my calcium levels are up indicating possible formation of kidney stones. Dr. recommend I cut back on calcuim supplements (Cal-Mag).
  • No issues on IP, but I have had kidney stones - do whatever he says!!! Passing a stone is not an experience you want to have...
  • Thanks Lizzy. I have cut back to 1/2 the IP recommended dose.
    I understand that kidney stones are really painful and I don't want them.
  • Quote: No issues on IP, but I have had kidney stones - do whatever he says!!! Passing a stone is not an experience you want to have...
    Ditto

Quote: Thanks Lizzy. I have cut back to 1/2 the IP recommended dose.
    I understand that kidney stones are really painful and I don't want them.
    Worse than LABOR! At least while in labor the pain comes and goes.
  • Quote: Ditto

Worse than LABOR! At least while in labor the pain comes and goes.
    When I was in labor, the nurse said.."ever have a kidney stone? I said yes, she said well this will be a piece of cake then." SHE LIED!!

I can't take the cal/mag pills as I have an overabundance of calcium in my body already which forms deposits in the muscles of my hip. Do what your Dr. suggests..they know best!
  • My dh has had kidney stones that required a ureteroscopy. His urologist recommended 2 oz of orange juice a day. He has continued this on ip, and still loses well. No kidney stones. Plus, he only takes 1 cal mg.
  • Thanks. I'll look into the OJ and may further reduce the cal mag. Like I mentioned....I don't want stones. Im in week 2 of phase 2 so I'll be off of it soon enough.
  • I'm new to 3FC and just discovered this thread while looking for help. I may have a kidney stone right now. I've had pain in my right lower back, waist area that radiates around my waist to lower right side of abdomen and down into the groin. This is the third day with this pain and it comes and goes in intensity. I'm going into third week on IP. I have cheated a lot today, first cheat since I started diet but wanted to see if it'd make me feel better. Will contact doc on Monday. Am skipping my cal-mag today completely.
  • Glad I read this....I have given birth to 5 kidney stones, and they were pretty painful. Having my son was easier! I am going to ask my counselor about it on Thursday.
  • I think I have kidney stones. I've been in pain for almost 2 weeks (day 13 today) - a real ache in my lower back - sometimes it's even hard to walk! Have to ask my coach/RN about the Cal/Mag then. Thanks for the heads up ladies!
  • Follow up to possible kidney stone
    A follow up to my post on aug 24, I'm still in pain and took a trip to ER Sunday morning. Although all tests were negative for kidney problems, I'm still not convinced, yet. ER doc thought it might be nerve pain from a herniated disk and arthritis that's radiating from the right kidney area, into waist and down right flank. I've never had pain like this with any of my aches and pains before. At 71 it's a distinct possibility though. Will follow up with my internist if pain doesn't subside. For now I'll continue on IP diet but have switched to the alternative plan, phase 1. We'll see... All for now.
  • Are kidney stones common for people on IP? I had not heard that and now I'm nervous. I had them a couple years ago and it was awful. By far, the worst pain I have ever felt. It took me about a month to pass them and I had to be on morphine for a couple of weeks because the pain was so bad.
  • i've had one giant kidney stone. i needed surgery for it. There is no way IP could have caused it because it would have been forming for years. On IP i have to limit the calcium supplements. No more than 1500mg a day of calcium.
    Limit the oxalates - which in my case means limiting spinach and kale. And drink all my water with lemon juice in it. Since i get about 10gm of carbs worth of lemon juice i have to be careful with restricteds and restricted vegetables. My coach has been very supportive and was even more emphatic about the lemon juice in the water than my doctor. hope that helps.
  • If you ever do have intense pain that feels like labor and you know you aren't having a baby - The best thing to do is go to the emergency room where they will give you a strong pain killer and run a couple tests to confirm. If it is not a kidney stone i would want to know as soon as possible what it is.