Soo Hungry after Strength Training

• I dont lift heavy yet but am lifting (not 5lbs). I am using activtrax at the Y. Yesterday was the first day I was just ravenous all afternoon. Its been about a month that I have been lifting. I had my protein shake a little later than normal (after my cardio). I just could not get satisfied. I had a huge salad with Tuna for lunch. Even after dinner I was at my goal (1700/day) and was still hungry. I did end up over my goal but thought I must need this.

Is this normal? Is this my metabolism ramping up? I changed my eating habits 6wks ago. I have not really felt this hungry since I started trying to loose weight. Oh I made the mistake of stepping on the scale this morning and I am up 3lbs. I am going to not count that and check again tomorrow.
  • Hi Lisha. This part of the forum tends to be kinda quiet. You might try re-posting in weight loss support.

I don't personally find weight training impacts my hunger levels, but I have heard it's pretty common. If you are trying to build muscle, extra calories, especially directly post-workout, are key. Since I am primarily focused on losing weight, I never increase my calories on training days (though, again, it's quite common and often recommended by expeets), but I do shift calories so I am eating the bulk of them directly post-workout.
  • When I re-start weight training after I break, I get RAVENOUS. So I eat a little more. For me, it wears off though, as my body adjusts to the hard core exercise.
  • The things that help me are a little snack a couple of hours before workouts and immediate protein. I stagger my calories in the week so that my lifting days are higher calorie and carb days and my non-lifting or active rest days are on the lighter side. When I neglect these things my hunger gets totally out of control for the next day or even two.
  • I made sure I drank my protein drink while doing my post lifting cardio and not after getting home. I felt better today not as hungry. Not sure what was up last week.
  • Have you tried eating a bowl of oatmeal with fresh fruit on top? It's filling, healthy and delicious!
  • I'm always my hungriest the day after I do strength. It never fails! But I consider it a very positive sign, so I don't hesitate to eat more...especially protein.
  • Quote: I'm always my hungriest the day after I do strength. It never fails! But I consider it a very positive sign, so I don't hesitate to eat more...especially protein.
    I'm always craving protein the day after a good weight training session. There's been times I'm seriously GOING NUTS for a good salad with tons of protein on it so if I go out with the fiance we have to go to a place that has that.

Usually we find ourselves at chipotle and I get a salad with chicken, beans and guacamole along with some veggies.
  • When you first begin lifting. It’s normal to feel ravenous just be sure you are equipped to sate your appetite in a healthy manner. Your metabolism is probably increasing physically right now, which is a sign of development.