TOM bloat..when does it usually start?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • K... so ive been following my diet faithfully and have almost lost 35 pounds..however...ive been stuck between 282 and 284 for the past week so far...For ex: I was down to 282.0 and then today up at 282.4... the other day i was at 282.4 and the day before that 284.6.... As you can see..its fluctuating..So what im wondering is...If your expecting your TOM soon...does that mean you begin retaining water the week of? or a few days before? Or can you start retaining water a week prior to??? Cause i know there is no possibility that i can be gaining true fat weight..my calorie count and exercise is balanced out enough that gaining weight wont happen..but what im wondering is...if my body is seriously bloating?

The other phenomenon...is that on the nights that i drink one cup of caffinated tea.. i weigh 1 pound up..and the nights i skip it.. the next day im down again??? So is tea causing me to retain? Its a black tea..and there is no sugar or milk in it.

Im so impatient to get these 3 pounds off!
  • re:
    Any bloating I have is usually the week right after TOM. I think I'm in the minority though. Most of the people posting about it here usually have it a week or during. What you're describing sounds perfectly normal.
  • I have it the week before, I always go up a couple lbs
  • Mine's the week before, and usually ends 1-2 days before or right at the start.
  • Yep. I am the week before and during. Usually means a nice post-TOM whoosh, though!
    No clue about the tea, though.
  • Depends on the body and more specifically, your own luteal have length. My bloating begins 5-7 days before my period and lasts until CD4 or so.
  • Mine starts in the middle of my period and lasts til a few days after. :/
  • About two days before and two days during TOM I get bloated and gain a pound or two.
  • good reminder. mine is just around the corner and I hadnt even anticipated this. now i wont be going crazy looking for the missing calories when it happens.
  • I have no TOM bloat, no PMS, and no excessive hunger/cravings. The only way I know TOM is coming is that my breasts are tender. I guess that makes me unusual (along with the fact that I still get periods at 55).

F.
  • For me the bloat begins right when my breasts get sore and lasts until about 2 days after the last day of my period. I don't know about the tea, sorry.
  • For me the bloat begins about a week before and lasts until my TOM is over. I actually don't notice that I gain any weight from it though.

As for the tea, I don't think it's really making a difference. For me, if I eat or drink anything past 8:00pm, then the next morning my weight is a bit higher, but it's probably because of water weight.
  • Yesterday I was 215.4, today I am 216. I'm due to start tomorrow and I'm not going to weigh again till I'm done. I'll lose a couple pounds when I finish up and the bloat dissipates and be right back on track
  • I did a daily weigh-in challenge here on 3FC to find this out for myself.. seems to be from Wednesday before TOM to the next Wednesday. My normal woosh comes afterward
  • I usually bloat and feel noticeably hungrier a week before my period. It usually goes away a day or two after my period starts. I used to get upset about it, but the last couple of months I started paying more attention to how my body was reacting and connecting it to my cycle. Now I just sort of mentally prepare for it and remind myself it always goes away, and that if I keep eating sensibly, it might allow for a "weight WOOSH" too!