Weight fluctuations - ugh

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • How can I be 1.6 lbs lighter this evening than I was this morning? And which weight counts?

I am confused & a little frustrated (I want to have lost 3 lbs not 1.4 lbs, but I don't want to cheat).

Ugh.
  • you get to choose!
  • You will generally weight more in the evening in the morning, due to water and undigested food.
    I only count my morning weight as it is the lowest of the day.
  • Quote: you get to choose!
    Head & heart! Head says choose higher weight, so you won't be disappointed if you go back up, heart says celebrate losing 20lb in total (I used to *fantasise* about this moment). Sigh.

Quote: You will generally weight more in the evening in the morning, due to water and undigested food.
    I only count my morning weight as it is the lowest of the day.
    Which is why I don't understand how I LOST 1.4 lbs by the evening compared to the morning, eating normally & wearing the same clothes (well, the same underwear in this case!)
  • I would just go with whatever one you usually use for your 'official' weight, morning or evening.

Every once in a blue moon this happens to me, I just attribute it to water retention and my body just happening to let it go that day. Did you notice you used the restroom a little more today? LOL
  • Quote: Head & heart! Head says choose higher weight, so you won't be disappointed if you go back up, heart says celebrate losing 20lb in total (I used to *fantasise* about this moment). Sigh.

Which is why I don't understand how I LOST 1.4 lbs by the evening compared to the morning, eating normally & wearing the same clothes (well, the same underwear in this case!)
    It's that old devil, water, you just can't trust it.
  • Quote: It's that old devil, water, you just can't trust it.
    Sigh, no, I know, you're right.

I did have quite a loose BM before weighing, so.

I will be good. Such a thrill to see the scale that low, though! Can't wait for it to be real!
  • I'd say choose whichever you want and stick with that to be your weigh in time just to be consistent. Great job though! Keep up the good work! You should be so proud of yourself
  • I don't think you'll gain over night tonight, so by tomorrow morning it will probably be even lower!!!
  • I love it when I weigh the same at night as I did in the morning or less. Typically, lose 2 pounds over night. You'll probably be even lighter tomorrow morning.

I always take my morning weight as the weight to record, no matter how much my weight fluctuates in a day.
  • I wonder if maybe you had higher than normal sodium on Friday, which flushed within 36 hours and now you are not as salient? 'Gratz!
  • Ah, you guys were pretty near the mark. 224.2 this morning! I can't believe it as this means 2.4 lbs lost this week, which brings me to 20lbs lost in total (I am not quibbling about the .2 having got this far). Wow! What an amazing feeling!

And, YES, I really did eat more salty food than normal on Friday! Crazy! Thanks, sportmom - I can't believe you knew that.

Thank-you to you all for helping me get this far. I could never have done it without the support, encouragement & sage advice of you very wise forum people.

On to the next 20 lbs!
  • Eh, I was lower again this morning - well in the low 223s! Bu I'll save this for next week
  • If you had a lot of, um, bowel activity during the day, your weight will reflect that. In my opinion, your "official" weight should be taken at a consistent time. I find morning weights to be more consistent than evening weights, so prefer the morning as my official weigh-in time, even though I sometimes hop on the scale at other times.

F.
  • Northernrose - my weight is a funny thing, I hold onto weight when I know I should be losing and then I have a woosh! Which can last 1-3 days. Knowing that my body reacts this way helps me through the times when I keep bouncing around the same number for 10-14 days.