Sugar Busters Weekly Support Board 3/31

You're on Page 1 of 13
Go to
View Poll Results: When you eat a salad at HOME/FAMILY/FRIENDS (not in public) do you:
I measure out 1 serving
10.71%
I measure out 2 or more servings
0%
I guesstimate a serving when I put it on
25.00%
I pour on the dressing, with no regard for serving size
17.86%
I measure then dip my fork in the dressing then pierce the salad
3.57%
I don't measure I just put it on the side and dip my fork in the dressing then pierce the salad
7.14%
It varies
21.43%
I don't use dressing, eat it plain or with spices
3.57%
I don't eat salads
3.57%
Other
7.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

• This is the
    SUGAR BUSTERS WEEKLY SUPPORT BOARD
    where all of you who are following this WOE, or are thinking about doing so, are welcome to come join in and be a part of our wonderful group.

Other than finding support and friendship on this board, we also try to do something during the the week to add a little difference to our board.

MONDAY-MOTIVIATIONAL MONDAY
    TUESDAY-TUESDAYS TIPS & FACTS & CHAT AT 9:15PM EST
    WEDNESDAY-WEIGH-IN WEDNESDAY
    THURSDAY-THURSDAY RECIPE DAY
    FRIDAY-FRIDAY FUNNIES

Please take some time to check out our extensive recipe boards. Our RECIPE BOARDS can be located at the link below:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/foru...php?forumid=89

Look for our QUARTERLY RECIPE BOARDS at

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...threadid=26194

to post your favorite recipes and to see the most recently posted recipes. Recipes from the quarterly boards will be archived in proper categories at some point.

We have SEVEN INFORMATIVE BOARDS!!!! Please take a few minutes to visit them! New information is continually being posted, so please make sure you visit them often!!! The boards are listed below as well as the link that will take you to the boards:

THE RECOMMENDED READING BOARD
    THE TOOLS & TIPS BOARD
    THE FOOD INFORMATION BOARD
    MOTIVATIONAL & INSPIRING THOUGHTS BOARD
    MY FAVORITE SB LEGAL FOODS
    SB 2002 BIO BOARD
    SB 2001/2002 PHOTO ALBUM BOARD

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/foru...php?forumid=87

We also have a SB WEEKLY EXERCISE BOARD that you can log your daily/weekly exercises on which is located on our weekly support board:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...threadid=26193

Then there's our latest addition to the SB BOARDS which is called OFF THE EATEN PATH This board is for everything NOT related to SB. You can use this board to post questions or comments on just about anything (okay, within reason). A book you recommend, a cleaning tip, a great website deal, etc. etc. Here's the link:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/foru...php?forumid=90

NEWBIES! (aka new members) If you would like to REPLY to any of our threads, please hit POST REPLY not NEW THREAD, then type your message in and hit SUBMIT REPLY. If you need to edit your reply, just click on edit located in the body of your post and make changes as you need to, then hit SUBMIT NOW.

WELCOME!

• GOOD MONDAY MORNING EVERYONE!

Will post my usual morning post sometime later, but wanted to make sure I got our
    MOTIVATIONAL MONDAY
    done early in the morning, so here's my contribution for MM, there's 3 of them to read today:

GOOD AND TIRED

At the end of this day you are going to be tired. The choice you're able to make is what kind of tired that will be. You can be tired from not doing much, from just getting by, and that is a weary feeling indeed. It's something that not even a good night's rest will take away.

Or, you can be tired after a day's worth of positive effort and accomplishment, while at the same time being satisfied and fulfilled. Then, after a good night's sleep, you can wake up tomorrow feeling energized and enthusiastic about moving forward again.

There is nothing that can compare with the sense of accomplishment that comes after a day filled with positive, focused, effective effort. In just a few hours you can be enjoying the delightful, empowering experience of being good and tired.

You're going to be tired anyway, so doesn't it make sense to get something positive and valuable out of it? You're going to move through this day anyway, so doesn't it make sense to move forward with effective, enthusiastic effort and accomplishment?

Use this day to get yourself good and tired, and experience for yourself just how great that can be.

Ralph Marston

DETERMINED

It is true that discouragement can lead to defeat. Yet discouragement can just as surely lead to determination and increased resolve. Discouragement can drain the energy from you, or it can infuse you with fresh new vitality to push on ahead. It all depends on how you choose to respond to the discouragement that comes your way.

Every effort of any significance will meet with some discouragement. It may often seem that you are burdened with more than your share of it. But is that discouragement really a burden or is it instead a blessing in disguise? You can indeed turn it into a blessing if you so desire.

For the same things that make it so discouraging can also be positively compelling reasons to move forward. Powerful determination and unstoppable commitment come, more often than not, from discouragement that has been turned in a positive direction.

You cannot avoid discouragement, but then you really wouldn't want to. For you can choose to take it and let it make you that much stronger, that much more determined, and that much more successful.

Ralph Marston
    DECISIVENESS

If you could live your life backwards it would be easy to avoid mistakes. You could simply look back on the mistakes, clearly and unmistakably see them coming, and move in another direction.

In the real world, where time moves only forward, avoiding mistakes is not nearly so easy to do. For the only way to completely avoid mistakes is to completely avoid taking action.

But that, of course would be the biggest mistake of all. For although you would never make any mistakes, you would never move forward either, and never get anything done.

In order to accomplish anything, you have to accept the fact that you're going to make some mistakes. Of course you would never set out to intentionally make a mistake, and it's wise to take reasonable precautions against them.

And then, have the courage to move forward, to make definite decisions, to take specific actions, even though some will turn out to be mistakes. When the mistakes do come, that very same decisiveness will get you quickly past them.

-- Ralph Marston

Have a wonderful day, and a fabulous week!!!!!

Debbie
    194/1??/129
    SB since 3/22/00
    Reached goal 6/10/01
  • We have some birthdays to celebrate this month, with two of them being this first week!

TV'S BIRTHDAY is this WEDNESDAY, APRIL 2nd
    MIATA'S BIRTHDAY is this SATURDAY, APRIL 5th
    ZANNE'S BIRTHDAY is APRIL 11th
    BOB'S BIRTHDAY is APRIL 20th
    HEARTMOM'S BIRTHDAY is APRIL 22nd

• THIS WEEKS NEW CHALLENGE!!!!

This weeks challenge is actually quite easy, well, for those of you who like to cook, unlike myself

Your challenge this week is to choose a brand new dish to make from the extensive recipe collections we have here on the SB RECIPE BOARDS. It has to be brand new to you, whether you chose a recipe that someone else has posted or even one that you have posted but never tried out (just sounded good). THEN, after you make it, you must turn from cook to recipe critique and give us your review of the recipe you made. If possible, I'd like to have these posted by next Monday, April 7th.

Please include the name of the recipe, who originally posted it on the board as well as which board you located it on. Also, any changes you possibly made to improve it.

Here's the link to the recipe boards!!!!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/foru...php?forumid=89

GOOD LUCK!!!!
  • Ohh! I nice clean board to post on!
    Good Morning! It is so easy to catch up when you are the first poster after Debbie! tee hee!

I am starting day three of no grains at all. Not sure if this has helped me yet, but it sure has been hard. I did not realize how dependent on starchy carbs I was getting. I was eating cereal for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch, and making some kind of grain for dinner. All I am eating now is protein, fruits and veggies. I am avoiding all artificial and even legal sweetners, like agave, and fructose.

Today, my daughter has a doctor's appointment, so I hope he has my lab results in and I can get him to discuss them with me while I am there with her.

As for Monday motivation...I would like to throw out a thought that seems to get many motivated. SUMMER. That means bathing suits, shorts, sleeveless shirts... It will be here before you know it. AND, all those fun sports and activities, like hiking through the national park you visit, climbing to the top of Stone Mountain or some other mountain, or jogging along the beach, or even water skiing... you want to have the best stamina possible for all the fun things you want to do. SO...get off your butt this week and move! You will be so glad you did!

DEB: I like the recipe challenge! How creative you are!
  • Good Morning Everybody! I just wanted to check in and wish us ALL a wonderful, successful, healthy week!!! I feel pretty good about this week.

DEB---I like the challenge. You are always thinking!!! I must confess that I rarely go to the Recipe boards, so this is the kick in the pants I need. Also haven't been cooking very much lately either. Hey, thanks for the motivational thoughts. I LOVED THEM!!!!! I copied the one on Determination and emailed it to my TM buddy. She didn't call in this morning for our walk, and from last week, I think she is really struggling with discouragement. So hopefully, it will help her too.

MONET---- You are cracking me up about being on the ball and getting on early. Aren't you the Miss Smarty Pants of the bunch????? I like your thoughts on motivation too. You are right about wanting to look good/better in those summer outfits. I will be meeting up with my college girlfriends in July and I really want to look better than I did last August when we got together. I'll tell you one thing that's for sure. I already FEEL better than I did when we had our last visit. More energy and a higher view of myself. Good luck this week. Hey, don't go knocking that 30 minutes you do on the TM. That's nothing to sneeze at. I know a TON (no pun) of people who cannot go anywhere near that long on our favorite exercise machine. So you need to start applauding every single time you get off of it. Just imagine all of us SB friends standing around you and giving you the applause you deserve.

To the rest of you . . . have a great day. I'll check in later tonight.

Kim
  • I'm Back!

Boy is it good to be home. That is too much driving for one day. It only took up 81/2 going but coming home almost 10 1/2. ran into a lot of snow and ice when we left Md and all through WV. Driving was really tricky and scarry and so slow.

The wedding was nice, different but nice. She had 2 friends cater it and the food was out of this world. Needless to say, not all legal. Didn't do to badly with eating. Did have pizza Friday night and some things at the wedding.

Today is a new day and back on track.

DD had a lovely shower. It was fun getting to see all the nice things she got. It was a honeymoon theme so there were some nighties and lots of beach towels, sun screen, and lots of picture frames. Can't wait for the next one on Sunday.

Didn't get to read much on last week's board, just quickly skimmed them.

Monet, My aren't you the chipper little bird today. Sounds like you are up and ready to get at it. I hope the no starches help give you that jump start you need. I helped me get moving again. I try to limit myself to 1 starch a day. Sometimes 2. Hope you get to find out something from the Dr today.

Quilter, I'm with you on the recipe board. I hardly ever go there either. It will be a nice change. I feel like I'm in a cooking rut. I'm glad you got on that TM even though your friend didn't call you. You can do this on your own.

Fillise, 11.5 in 3 weeks. Awesome Baby! How can we make Lent last all year? Keep up the great work.

Bob, loved the daffodil story. So true. Don't know what happened to those cats. Kate must have fallen asleep and didn't cheer loud enough. Guess we will have to pull for Trish's Longhorn's now.

Deb, If there was a Trader joe's I never saw it. She lives in Middletown which is all country. So I didn't see anything but the hotel and her house.

Got to get busy, this desk is covered today.

Jackie
  • Good Monday Morning!
    It's FREEZING outside and someone turned on the SNOW machine!!!! I like winter, but we've had it for too long this year.

I'm quite proud of myself. Last week I exercised 5 out of 7 days. And my eating was pretty good. Only a couple of slip ups, but I got right back on track. I've stayed away from snacking in front of the TV by knitting and therefore I'm getting projects finished.

I think ALL of us are doing well! Keep up the good work gang!

I don't have a great MM, but I know this WOE is making us healthier. The more we stay on track, the healthier we will be. One of the things that got me to re-commit to this WOE is that I want to be healthier by my 40th birthday. So I've got a little over a year to accomplish that goal.

DEBELLI--I like your challenge for this week. I love new recipes, but forget about checking the recipe boards.

JACKK--Glad you had a nice time and that you are home safe and sound.

QUILTER--Your posts are always so upbeat! They always make me feel good. You just keep doing what you're doing, and you'll look absolutely fabulous for your get-together.

MONET--Your MM is a good one. I want to be able to wear a 2 pc this year! Ok, maybe next year. I hope that cutting out the grains helps to get you over your plateau and I hope the doc can give you some good news.

I'm outta here. Have a GREAT SB day all!
  • Monday Morning!
    Morning all!

It's gorgeous, but cold here. Got down below freezing last night--Hope this is winter's last blast!

Mom and Dad left yesterday morning--it was a good visit, but I was tired. went to a Baby shower last night--lots of evil food, but I stuck with some veggies and some fresh strawberries.

ZANNE--WTG on the 5 days of exercise last week!! That ought to do you some good--I've got to emulate you!

Jackie--Making Lent last all year is the challenge, isn't it? I'm not counting down until Easter so it's not like I have it in my head that this is over in three weeks--so maybe I can keep it going!

Kim--It should be fun to see who tries what recipies this week! I need something for citrus--I came back from FLA loaded with citrus!

Deb--Good challenge for the week!

Monet--good luck with cutting the grains. Do let us know how it goes. I hope you are able to find out something about your bloodwork while at the Drs today!

Have a good day everyone!

Susan
    300/262/150
  • MM
    What are you telling yourself about your diet? What are you telling yourself about your weight loss efforts? What are you telling yourself about becoming a thinner, healthier you?
    I hope you're telling yourself you can do it! I hope you're telling yourself that this is the last diet you will ever be on because this is the one that is going to take the weight off for good and keep it off. I hope you're telling yourself that yes, it's hard to work to break old habits and establish healthier habits but it's so worth it! I hope you're telling yourself that you are proud of you and your efforts this week working toward what you really want, a thinner you.
    What are you telling yourself?
    We have to replace the "self talk" that leads to overeating behaviors with the "self talk" that leads to losing weight. I wrote this yesterday and say it again today, "we live what we believe." What we believe is reflected in what we say to ourselves about ourselves. If we think of ourselves in terms of always overeating, we will always overeat. If we think to ourselves "what's the use, I'll just gain it back?" we'll just gain it back.
    Stop the negative "self talk" that is sabotaging your weight loss efforts. Banish the negative "self talk" from your mind, your heart and your soul. Be positive, affirm your self worth and your dieting success. Tell yourself you can do it. You can.
    Repeat after me ...
    I can eat less and be content.
    I can eat slowly and be satisfied with portion sizes the size of my fist.
    I can push my plate away with food left on it and feel okay about it.
    I can put my fork down between bites.
    I can wait four hours from one eating experience to another.
    I can eat an orange instead of a candy bar and be satisified.
    I can get 22 bites out of one french fry (to reduce how many french fries I eat.)
    I can drink a glass of water to see if I'm really thirsty and not really hungry before just feeding myself.
    I can enjoy 2 small bites of a dessert savoring each morseful rather than indulging in a whole slice that I will eat so fast I won't even taste it!
    I don't feel deprived because I'm not eating what everyone else is eating, I feel relief that I am in control of my eating and I feel thrilled that I am on my way to losing this unwanted weight.
    I don't need food to comfort me, I can comfort myself by thinking this situation through and trusting that it will all work out for good.
    I don't need food to interrupt my boredom, I can call a friend, read another chapter in my book, search the internet for a craft project, love on my kids.
    I don't need food to numb the pain I'm feeling, I can talk to someone about it, write it out on paper, close my eyes and listen to music. I don't need to eat to deal with it.
    Friends, what are you telling yourself? Tell yourself positive statements, banish the negative ones. What you are telling yourself will make a huge difference in your dieting efforts and success. Remember, weight loss begins first in your mind and then the results show in your body.

With respect,
    Coach Joy

© Diet Coaches 2003
  • Woke up with an accomplishment behind me, Sunday I was 100% on plan with eating legal foods. Certainly I need to work on portions. Going to do it again today! (I hope) As for Mayo's Diet program, it's good for people who do food journals (I'm VERY BAD about this). I mean well, but after a day or so I stop. Off to take the kids to school, I'll check-in later.
  • Questions about SB
    I created this this morning as a new post and did not get any replies so I thought I should post it here. I would love some input on this plan.

I have been doing Weight Watchers since November and cannot lose any weight. I exercise at Curves three days a week also.
    I thought I would try Sugar Busters. Can anyone give me some advise?
    Is it hard to follow? What are the foods you can snack on? I am a big snacker! Unfortunately I LOVE potato's so I would miss them terribly but I really need to do something about my weight and do it now before the summer!

Thank you
    Jane
  • The Power of a Positive Attitude

The greatest power we have is the power to change. We have the power and the ability to overcome any obstacle life presents to us if we have the right mindset. With the right attitude, we can accomplish any goal. Whether you are looking to lose weight, change careers, or embark on a journey of self-improvement, a positive attitude will make all the difference in your success. Before undertaking any major lifestyle change, use the following attitude checklist to make sure you are ready.

Ask yourself if you really want it. Too often, we attempt to change because others have told us we need to. Whether or not they are right, unless the change is something we really want, we won't be successful. Take the time to ask yourself why you are making the change and what benefit you expect to receive. When the benefits of changing outweigh the comfort of not changing, you will find the internal motivation to get started and stay the course.

Commit to having patience with yourself. We are only human, and therefore; will make mistakes. Mistakes are not failures; they are merely lessons along the road to success. If you aren't making any mistakes, then you are probably not trying. When you make mistakes, learn why you made the mistake and how to avoid repeating it in the future. Don't agonize over what went wrong, just vow not to make the same mistake twice. A lifetime of habits will not be unlearned overnight. Reward yourself when you are successful and celebrate each small victory. Every small victory brings you a step closer to the goal.

Accept that change is never easy. There will be difficulties along the way, but they make the sweet taste of success so much sweeter. As Dick Vermeil said "If you don't invest very much, then defeat doesn't hurt very much, and winning isn't very exciting." Set realistic expectations that will challenge but not frustrate you. Promise yourself that no matter what, you will stay the course and not give up. Remember, if it were easy you would have done it long ago. Keep in mind how good you will feel when you reach your goal.

Eliminate all the excuses. When we make excuses, we are giving ourselves permission to fail. Accepting responsibility for our actions is difficult but it is also very powerful. Everything in life is a choice. We don't have to do anything; we choose to. When faced with challenges or tough decisions, recognize that you are making a choice to do or not do what is right. Taking responsibility for personal choices gives us tremendous freedom and enables us to make better choices. On those occasions where you choose the wrong path, start over at #2.

Take control of your destiny. We can control our thoughts and our behavior. In fact, those are the only things we can control. We cannot change others actions or attitudes, only our responses to them. Do not allow yourself to become a victim of others' opinions or ideas. Ask those close to you to help by being supportive of the changes you are making. Keep in mind that fear and jealousy often cause others to try and derail your progress. Reassure those around you that you are going to be the same person, only better. If they still cannot be supportive, you may want to evaluate their place in your life. At the very least, learn to control your reactions to their negativity. If you don't react, they will stop "pushing your buttons."

Develop a support system that includes accountability. Create a network of people who will encourage and support you on your journey. Ask them to help keep you on track, reassure you when you make mistakes, and celebrate your victories. Surround yourself with as many like-minded influences as you can find. Find others who have succeeded to mentor and inspire you. Above all else, be accountable to yourself. You chose this path because it is something important to you. Give yourself every opportunity to succeed. Minimize or eliminate factors that may tempt you to get derailed.

Track your progress in reasonable intervals. Seeing progress provides additional motivation to stay the course. Make sure that you are allowing sufficient time to achieve each milestone. Set smaller goals to achieve along the way to your larger goals. As stated before, your goals should challenge, but not frustrate you. There will be times when you exceed your goals and also times when you fall short of the mark. Do not give yourself permission to give up, but do give yourself permission to adjust the goal. Lifelong changes are more of a marathon than a sprint. Every step along the way is moving you toward the finish line. Speed isn't always an advantage in the long haul.

You are now ready to embark on that journey. Congratulate yourself for making a decision that will bring about many positive changes in your life. Be proud of yourself and excited about your decision. Choose to find the bright side of every situation. Even the toughest of days will have a benefit; practice at overcoming obstacles. On the tough days, use a mantra to remind yourself that only you are in control of your destiny. My personal favorite is Og Mandino's "Today, I will be master of my emotions." Picture yourself achieving your goal. Focus on the positive feelings that vision evokes. Let the warm feeling wash over you and a smile will work its way across your face. Now, keep the smile on and think about the great day that you are going to have. Enjoy your newfound success - one day at a time.

Jo Cordi Sica
    SPHR Organizational Development and Training
    [email protected]

THINK ABOUT IT.......

BOB
  • Takin' a break...
    I'm like an old washer woman--down on my knees with a scrub brush cleaning the floors.

FILLISE--Thanks! I know you're really busy, so it must be difficult to get some "me" time, let alone "me exercise" time. But you are doing the Prevention walking program, aren't you? Just keep adding a few more steps each day and you'll be doing great. Congrats on all those pounds lost in 3 weeks!

IDBLOND--Thanks for your MM. That's kind of what I'm doing now. I keep telling myself "I can" and I look for all the postive changes I'm making instead of dwelling on the slip ups. WTG for being 100% yesterday. You can do it today too! I'm not very good at journaling either.

JANE--WELCOME! You're right. This is a better place to post. Most of us tend to come right to this board. I find this a very easy plan to follow and one that I can follow for the rest of my life. I used to eat a lot of potatoes too, but I don't eat them all that much any more. I eat sweet potatoes, brown rice and barley. I find that if I prepare "good" snacks (apples, celery, cucumber) ahead of time, that I'll grab those instead of "bad" snacks. One of my favorite snacks now is triscuits (regular) with Pace or homemade salsa. You can even make nachos with the triscuits by putting some on a plate with some shredded cheese, salsa, olives, whatever you like and then microwaving the plate for a couple of minutes. Recently I've started eating triscuits spread with a little smoked salmon cream cheese.
    Drink LOTS of water! Have you read the SB book? It can be a bit vague. A good book to read is Michel Montignac's Eat Yourself Slim. It's pretty hard to find, but maybe your library can get it for you. KEEP COMING HERE AND ASKING QUESTIONS!!! I've been on this board for 1 1/2 years and I still ask questions. Where do you live? Maybe someone on the board knows of a good place you can shop to find lots of yummy SB legal things.
    Hope that helps a little. I'm sure others will help you out too.

Back to work. I can get so much more work done when I'm the only one home!
  • Wow your motivational Monday messages are amazing!! Why is it we often feel a little discouraged on Monday..... I have ordered "Eat yourself Slim" and look forward to reading it. I also found the SB quite vague on what portion sizes are recommended. I realize that most of the time this will be a judgement call. So far I am loving the program. I have not weighed for awhile since I had a problem with the scale determining my mood. I will give myself one more week of just eating all legal foods and next week concentrate on portion sizes and a hop onto the evil scale. I feel so much stronger on this program and know it is right for me... Thank you ladies for your many words of wisdom Lori